Skiing in Chamonix & Booking a guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Chamonix 4 days from 26 to 30th of December so my grown son can ski. He is an expert skiier and intends to do some of the very most difficult runs where you really have to go with a guide. He intends to wait until he gets there to book a guide. That makes planner me nuts. I've got our dinners booked for goodness sake. Son needs this person to save his life and he wants to take a chance on what's available when he gets there!

I, of course, know from nothing about skiing, and certainly less about skiing in the Alps, but is this standard practice? Is he running a risk of not finding a guide available given that this will be a very busy time for the ski resorts? Does anyone know whether it's common practice to wait to book a guide or should he be searching internet sites right now to find a good, reliable, certified guide? Thanks for any ammunition or assurances you can give me in this debate.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:28 AM

There are several ski schools available that you could contact:

Ecole de Ski Francais:
http://www.esfchamonix.com/a_prive_i...=a_prive_index

Or some others:

http://www.ecorider.org/index-en.html
http://www.ski-sensations.com/first.php
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM

In the case of the most famous off-piste run, the Vallee Blanche, it's not just a matter of safety (though the safety issues there can be very significant indeed). Organising the logistics (bus across the border, lift up to the top, then skiing down either into Chamonix itself, or to the mountain railway station if the conditions aren't right) can soak up an enormous amount of time that you probably don't have - and slight misjudgements might cause him to miss a critical connection.

Another source is http://www.chamonix.net/english/skii...leeblanche.htm
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. So I think I interpret these responses both to mean advance planning and advance engagement of a guide is essential. I appreciate your help.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Concerning the Vallée Blanche, this run will not be opened at Christmas time. As you ski on the glacier, there is too high a risk of crevasses. It is "advised" to ski there in March or April
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks parisian. My son will feel bad, but I'm very relieved. However, there are plenty of other scary runs that will be open at Christmas and I think I'd best get son moving on booking a guide.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM

My son and SIL did off-piste skiing at La Meije in La Grave (in Haute Alpes) when we were there in 2000, and they made arrangements for the guide at the beginning of our week for a couple of days later, through the hotel. This was in March, though, not the busy Christmas week.

Have a super trip!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Julie, looking forward to hearing about your December trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Grandmere, how nice to have you ask. It's on my list to do this week. Short version--we had a wonderful time. Loved Chamonix and Megeve--and think St. Gervais looks terrific. Had fabulous food and a great time in Lyon to which we diverted when we decided that Annecy would not be the most lively of winter destinations. Film at 11.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM

what restaurants did you book? I am curious , as we are planning a trip too!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM

I'm sure that he'll be able to book a guide when you get there...
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

ash318, I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find my notes right now and I never did a proper report on this trip. One thing I do remember is our lunch in Megeve at Le Vieux Megeve--a really old fashioned chalet right in town (probably a block off the main drag--their card say facing Parking Central) We had their raclette which was fantastic--big puddles of cheese melting over a little charcoal fire in some kind of special contraption made just for that dish. Unforgettable. here's the website www.py-internet.com/vieux-megeve I hope it works for you. I'll try to find the rest of my notes because we did eat well in Chamonix and I'd be happy to recommend the places we found--if I can just find my journal.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, again, ash318. Still haven't found my own notes but did find an article in the November 2010 Conde Nast Travel entitled Altitude that is devloted to Mont Blanc and reminded me that one of our best meals in Chamonix was at L'Atmosphere, right on the main street of town and downstairs since it actually overhangs a running stream. Nice, casual vibe with wonderful food and service. Hope this helps.