Ski with kids

Old Jan 4th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski with kids

I'm looking for a kids friendly ski town and/or resort. It's our first time with the kids (age 8 + 11).
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 02:14 AM

I know of no ski resort which is not kid-friendly. Virtually all resorts have their beginners' hill and special ski schools for kids.

With kids, I would start searching in Austria which is less expensive and for family-oriented than Switzerland. The Dolomites in Northern Italy would make a good choice too. Ski mass tourism with all facilities (including kids facilities) you find in France, e.g. Les Arcs.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 02:37 AM

having been skiing with our kids several times, i would suggest that the best resorts for families are ones where there is the minimum tramping about with heavy boots and skis - so a high-level resort is best. in France, Avoriaz, Flaine or Couchevel; in Austria, Obergurgl all spring to mind.

here's a list I found on the web to give you some more ideas:

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10...esorts-europe/

what you are looking for IMO is somewhere where the nursery slopes are at village level so that the kids don't need to worry about complicated ski-lifts, etc. etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 05:29 AM

A good family-friendly budget resort is Borovets in Bulgaria. I will be returning there at the end of January for the 7th time. I first went with my children when they were 12 or 13. I've stayed in hotels and rented apartments. Pick the right location in the centre of the village and everything is within a few hundred metres. Depending on the snow conditions (which are very good so far this season) ski-in ski-out is an option.

Some ski schools are better than others; I have found it best to book that independently rather than go with the travel agents package deal.

Of course, a lot of people consider skiing in Bulgaria to be a bit infra dig, but it is a lot of fun and doesn't cost a fortune like many other ski resorts.

If you have any more questions, ask away.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Hi LeslieFox,

I recommend the sweet town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, in the Bavarian Alps. If you stay in the center of town, you have three ways to get to the slopes: 1. town bus to Kreuzeck stop to get onto the Kreuzeck or Alpspitze cable cars; 2. free ski bus that runs between the train station and the Hausberg cable car; 3. train up to the Zugspitze.

You can rent a vacation apartment so that you and your family will have room to expand. Are you thinking of this year? February is the busiest month here (school holidays), so if you want to come then, you'd need to make reservations now. Find lodging at

www.gapa.de

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 08:34 AM

1 you want there to be enough nursery/starter slopes
2) you want the rental shop near to the nursery/first training slopes (the boots hurt, so walking a lot is to be avoided)
3) standard ski school will be for an hour each morning, get the first two days over (1 day if the kids are jocks) then add to the training with an additional one on one training session within an hour of the main school session (limits cool down time but allows for a drink/snack). It costs money but it gets the kid moving ahead faster if you can afford it
4) you need a pool, to get rid of any aches and to give the kids some other exercise (gets them to sleep as well)
5) I'd either takes card games or computers to fill in the evening, in a freezing place there is little to do at night apart from watch foreign TV.

I learnt in a couple of places 1) Finland above the artic circle Ylass where all the slopes are shallow and they have more time 2) In the Jura in France, small resort depended on the weather.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 08:50 AM

following what bilbo says, we love the game "uno" - it has very simple rules, it's lots of fun, and it can be played by any no of people - and it weighs virtually nothing.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Ann, just spent the last 5 days playing Uno.... It even works if the dog eats some of the cards
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Following on from bilbo's post, Borovets is great for beginners. Ski school is 4 hours a day, 2 hours each side of lunch. Private lessons are also available at a reasonable price. After a few days you can all duck out in the afternoons to ski together if you like.

Most of the hotels have a pool, and they are open to non-residents. There are bowling alleys, games room, floodlit night skiing, tobogganing on the nursery slopes in the village, and some of the bars have children's rooms.

Wifi is available pretty much everywhere, and I see children playing with ipads, tablets, etc. There are lots of pony-drawn carriages so a ride in one of those is fun, and there's also horseriding and skidoo safaris. There's the bus or taxi down to Samokov town where there is an ice rink, and some good restaurants serving traditional food. Also day trips to Sofia and the Rila Monastery.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Ah Uno, we used to play that in the evenings on ski trips.
Megeve is nice; if you stay near Rochebrune or Jaillet slopes, there are nursery slopes, ski schools and hire shops where you can leave your boots and skis overnight. And you're still walking distance from the centre of town.
Lovely village, hotels can be expensive though.

The Maeva on Mont d'Arbois has apartments, and is not expensive, though it is very basic. There's a large swimming pool. The film Charade with Audrey Hepburn has a scene shot at that pool; it has large windows overlooking the Alps.
Mont d'Arbois is not walking distance to the village; take the ski lift down during the day, and a horse-drawn carriage back in the evening. Or drive, there's a covered garage.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:20 AM

lol, bilbo, we've had fun playing it with our kids, and even just with the two of us, in extremis.

we've altered the scoring slightly so that you simply get lumbered with the points that you have in your own hand at the end of every round - it seems fairer somehow, and works just as well as the official version.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Do check the school holidays before you book. You will probably have no choice, as you'll have to travel when your kids have holidays, but try to avoid resorts in France during the French school holidays, especially when Paris is off. It's packed and expensive, and hotels may insist on a minimum one week including meals.
Avoid the Carnaval holidays in Austria and Switzerland; week of February 14 this year.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Our Belgian friends with two young boys swear by Flaine.

http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/index.htm