size of rolling duffles on european trains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a good size for a rolling duffle bag that will transport well on European trains? We want to keep our bags with us, not in a storage place at the end of a train.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM

The width shouldn't be a problem since duffles will be narrow enough to roll easily down the aisle. A good size would be the one, when fully loaded, you can easily lift over your head to put on the overhead shelf if need be.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're trying very hard to travel lighter than ever before. It will be our first trip to Europe and we love to keep it moving when we vacation. We are concerned that the heavier clothing needed in the fall will weigh us down. Has anyone ever used those compression bags? We will be there from Oct.21 to Oct. 29 in both Paris and Rome/florence. Will it be very cold?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Neopolitan

Be aware that there are more and more of the new trains that have very tiny overhead space. We found several of the newer Eurostar trains in Italy for example that did not allow anything much bigger than a laptop in the narrow overhead slot. Is there a reason you don't feel safe with putting your luggage in the big bins if there are such things at the end of the car? A small combination bicycle lock might give you a feeling of extra security.

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
lhynson: A couple of points that might help you w/ your packing . . . .

1) Space bags and Packmates (compression bags) will <b>not</b> help you travel lighter. They let you cram more into a suitcase so it becomes much heavier. I always take a space bag - but I take it empty. I use it for dirty and/or bulky clothes on the flight home to make room for souviners. Don't use one to help you pack lighter.

2) You don't need heavier clothing in the Fall. What you do need are garments that can be layered - both for warmth and versatility. A light t-shirt under a blouse under a light cardigan will be warmer than a heavier/bulkier sweater. Plus each item can be worn in multiple combinations.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:33 PM

When we went last winter I had the same concerns. We were in Rome, Florence, Venice &amp; Paris in January/February. Carrying around those winter clothes was a big concern (we were two ladies).

I wanted a lightweight rolling bag, easy to handle on trains. After tons of research I bought the 24&quot; Eagle Creek Pilot A Load Warrior.
http://tinyurl.com/d53xo
It only weighs 6 1/2 lbs! And it's considerably narrower than my other 24&quot; bag. I was very happy with it (as were my shoulders!). It's a soft-sided duffel, but the lower part is reinforced so clothes don't bunch up like most duffels. Also unlike most duffels, it opens out fully---book style. It's not &quot;fancy&quot;. It doesn't have multiple pockets and storage places. But it worked great for me. The zipper is not the highest quality, but in the picture you can see it has built-in luggage straps. Just to be safe during plane travel, I added another luggage strap running up and down. The retractable handle and wheels are good quality. I especially like that it has two other handles---one on top, one on the side. Very manageable on the train.

As for compression bags, we use those 1- and 2-gallon freezer bags. Like Janis said, don't get carried away and pack more just because you can. We use these for organizing, not so much compressing.

Whatever you do, don't overpack. We did laundry at least every other night. Don't forget...radiators will be working. You can hang wet things near or over the radiator and they'll be dry and toasty in the morning. Some things can be laid directly on the radiator. Blot washed items in towels before hanging to dry. We each took 4 daytime outfits plus 1 evening outfit. And I still came home with things I hadn't worn. I tend to wear the same 1 or 2 outfits I like best over and over.

Now, weather. We were in Paris a few years ago from October 15 though the first week of November. It rained most days, but only for a while. It even sleeted one day. It was cold with only a few mild sunny days. We wore boots most of the time. Dress in layers. Take lightweight silk underwear, gloves, scarves and a small umbrella. And at least 2 pair of waterproof shoes or boots. I imagine Rome will be a little warmer, but still cool.

Before you get discouraged, the weather didn't stop our enjoying ourselves. Rain never lasted all day. And Paris is gorgeous after a shower. The plane trees will be turning golden about that time. I loved nights when the streets glistened from a shower and were &quot;paved&quot; with those golden leaves. Sigh. Paris.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Oh thank you so much for your recommendations. That last description from Jean makes my heart go pitter patter. I love the fall and I can't wait to huddle up with my honey and sip hot chocolate while watching the masses go by...so excited!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A &quot;medium&quot; sized duffle would be my pick. Choose the very smallest bag that is practical for you.

Beware using packing cubes (or large ziplock bags work just as well). As Janis correctly points out it makes things smaller therefore your overall bag can turn out much heavier! I only use that method for a couple items, something bulky like a down vest or fleece jacket or to keep underwear tidy and organized.