Notices

SIX DAY DRIVING INTINERARY SCOTLAND

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Jane

SIX DAY DRIVING INTINERARY SCOTLAND

We will be in Scotland at the end of August 2003 for 6 full days. Can anyone suggest an interesting itinerary that will start in Edinburgh (which we've done before) and ending up in Glascow. We'll be driving and staying at B&B's. Would like to include Isle of Skye, Culloden and a good whiskey distillery if possible. Not necessary to go right up into the Highlands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Dave Seifert

Jane,
First, if you're going to Skye, you WILL be going "right up into the Highlands."

I haven't charted this by mileage, so you'll need to check driving times, but generally, here's a plan to think about (my wife and I have made eight trips to Scotland and know these places) ...

1. Drive from Edinburgh to Stirling, tour the castle, which is spectacular, and then, if interested, the Wallace Monument (Braveheart). Then head north toward Perth, detouring briefly to see the unusual round tower at Abernethy. Finish the day in the Pitlochry area -- pretty little town, centrally located. I recommend the Killiecrankie Hotel in the Pass of Killiecrankie.

2. Head north to Inverness. Along the way, consider Blair Castle (5 miles from Killiecrankie), then the battlefield at Culloden and the nearby Clava Cairns (prehistoric burial mounds). Depending on time, another possibility is Cawdor Castle and gardens. Perhaps stay in Inverness?

3. To Skye. See Eilean Donan Castle on the way.

4. Tour Skye. You can find all the details in any guidebook.

5. Two options for returning to the mainland, depending on how long the other stuff takes and what you want to do: (a) drive south on Skye and take the small ferry to Mallaig, then drive to Fort William and south to Glasgow. (b) back over the bridge and back towards Inverness, then south along Loch Ness and down the great glen

6. Finish up as needed to end up in Glasgow. If you aren't planning to tour Glasgow and just need to be nearby for the airport, I'd suggest staying north about an hour in the Trossachs area. One unique hotel is Monachyle Mhor, a farmhouse in Rob Roy country with wonderful food.

Hope this is helpful.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Sheila

Here's a variationBR>
Day One- Edinburgh to Speyside

Drive north over the Forth Road Bridge and up the M90 to Perth. At Perth take the A93 through Blairgowrie to Glenshee, and down to Braemar and Deeside. This is where Lizzie Windsor has her summer place, much beloved of American tourists. It's also in a beautiful location and therefore worth the visit. Just at Crathie, which is where you will find Balmoral, if you're daft enough to want to, there's a sign to Royal Lochnagar distillery. (old Scottish joke- How deep is Lochnagar? Ha, ha, ha...it's a mountain!!! Well it's funny if you're five)It's not the best whisky in the world but there's no such thing as a bad malt and it does a good tour.

Come back onto the A93 and continue east a few miles till you see signs pointing left to Tomintoul. Take that road and go over Gairn Shiel to Corgarff then turn left towards Cockbridge and up over the Lecht to Tomintoul.
By now, you have crossed two of Scotland's highest roads, and it's not yet tea time. There's a very good whisky shop in Tomintoul (much better than the tourist trap on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh)and, incidentally, there is also a very good wood carver. I would suggest staying here.

Day 2, Tomintoul to Drumnadochit (but not in a straight line). Go back on your tracks a bit and follow the road down to Dufftown. Here you will find Glenfiddich distillery. Still not my favourite dram, but probably one of the best sellers in the world and almost certainly the best tour.

Follow the road down to the Spey at Aberlour (or Charlestown of Aberlour, to give it its Sunday name)then cross over to Elgin and then up the Moray coast towards Inverness, picking up Culloden and your choice of Brodie castle, Cawdor Castle, the Clava Cairns, Ardersier etc, on the way.

Drive on to Inverness and spend a little time there; and either spend the night here or (my choice) set off down Loch Ness towards Drumnadrochit, and find somewhere to stay on the Lochside.

Day three- Loch Ness to Skye
Get up early and drive quickly down the Loch and then strike west to Kyle of Lochalsh and cross the bridge to Skye and spend the whole of the next day there. You can visit Dunvegan Castle, the Cuillin mountains, Portree, Isle Ornsay, Broadford, Uig, the Clan Donald centre and many more. Scenery terrific. Accommodations available include the Rosedale hotel in Portree and the Isle Ornsay Hotel, both of which are excellent but in different budget categories.

Day Five- Skye to Oban

Take the ferry from the south end of Skye at Armadale to Mallaig then drive right east to Fort William through Morar and Arisaig. Drive down the coast road to Oban, and stay the night here.

Day Six- Oban to Glasgow

Drive south through Kilmartin Glen and past Dunadd to Crinan; back to Lochgilphead and over to Inveraray. Cross the Rest and be Thankful to Arrochar on Loch Lomond, go down the lochside and back into Glasgow.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:00 PM
wayne

I did this drive tour in 1996.

Day 1: Edinburgh to Ft William via Stirling, Loch Lomond which was beautiful and we regretted not staying there.

Day 2: We loved Glen Nevis and Ben Nevis which are just beside Ft william. The valley hasd a hanging waterfall and was filled with flowers. I proposed to my wife with a daisy from the ground.

Day 3: Drove thru Glen Coe, which was hauntingly beautiful and onwards to Skye.Stop by Eilan Donan castle. There is nowhere more beautiful than Skye esp the trottenish peninsula.Make sure you spend at least 2 nites here. We did only 1.

Day 4: Drove thru Loch Ness and Inverness which were disappointing. Ended up in Aviemore which has nothing much but a reindeer farm.Skip these towns.

Day 5: Pitlochry has not much either except for a salmon jump.

Day 6: Drove thru St Andrew and back to Edinnburgh.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Jane

Thank you so much for the trouble you've all gone to. It'll make it so much easier to plan.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:55 AM
zoya

Jane,

Make sure you have plan ‘B’ if you include Ben Navis, Glen Coe and Skye in your itinerary. The day we went to Skye it drizzled most of the day and our drive to Skye from Invergarry was more beautiful then Skye in a gray day. Next day we planed to clime Ben Navis and see GlenCoe – it rain so hard we could not see Ben Navis at all, went to Inveraray instead and were pleased with the Castle and the view on the way.

I loved Oban and Stirling and will include both next time.