Sinclair Castle in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Sinclair Castle, outside of Wick? We have a family connection and I would appreciate some advise about viewing the castle ruins. Also suggestions on whether it is doable by train of if a car is a better option. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:34 PM

I was at Sinclair and Girnigo castle a few years ago. It is a very picturesque and rugged ruin, well worth the trip. But mind your step, it is steep and rocky, dropping off into the sea.

However, unless you are into a lot of hiking, I would strongly recommend renting a car. It is quite a ways from Wick. There are other castles in the general area that relate to the Sinclairs.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Revising this post,it is now four years since I first started thinking about visiting the Sinclair Castle. I need advise on timing. We are on a Celebrity cruise in June and port in Inverness. Our plan is the disembark the ship at Inverness rather than return to London. I would like to spend two nights in Inverness so we can see Loch Ness and some other parts of the Inverness. On day three we would travel to Wick (train or bus) and spend two nights there so we would have time to visit Sinclair Castle and hopefully some other sites in the area (suggestions welcome). On day five we would fly to Edinburgh where we will spend three nights before returning home. Does this sound like enough time (we probably won't do this trip,ore than once ),too much time in one area or another?
In Wick are there tours that go out to the castle site or will we need to arrange for a driver? Please any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I can hardly find any information about this area. Thank you in advance for your time and trouble .
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Actually, Sinclair Castle and Girnigo Castle are only about three miles from Wick. There are no tours that I know of, but you can easily arrange for transportation via taxi.

Not sure why you are having trouble finding information. Have a look at the following websites. There really aren't a lot of tourist sights in this area especially without a car. Hope this helps.

www.castlesinclairgirnigoe.org

http://www.caithness.org/caithness/c...nclairgirnigoe

http://www.phouka.com/travel/castles.../sinclair.html

http://www.northhighlandsscotland.co...clair-girnigie
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume you know this but just in case - you need pre-authorization from Celebrity that you can disembark early.

There won't be any tours from Wick - but may I ask why you don't just rent a car when you 'escape' ( ) from the ship?

Driving will make your whole 5 days a lot more convenient/efficient.

You can easily drive to Culloden, Loch Ness, Fort George, the Black Isle, Dunrobin, several neolithic sites up near Wick and Sinclair Castle. Your 4+ days will be much easier by car.

Then I'd actually take the train from Inverness down to Edinburgh. Sure you could fly, but w/ check in, and getting in from EDI to the city center . . . the train is almost as fast and a lot more comfortable/scenic -and you end up at Waverly station in the very center of the city.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We have already filed a Deviation Plan with the cruise line. We have jumped ship early on several other cruises, so knew the regimen. I am seriously looking at the car hire option. Do you know how long a drive it is from Inverness to Wick? getting my DH on board for him doing the driving may take a little bribing!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Inverness to Wick takes about 2.5 hours -but allow more because Dunrobin Castle, some pretty coastline, Camster Cairns are allon the route (or you can see them on the return drive)

That drive is quite easy - good road which even though it hugs the coast there is really only one very short section of twisty/turny. As long as the weather is even slightly decent, it is one of the easier coastal drives anywhere in the country.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 03:36 AM

If you have an interest in geeology there's a good museum in Golspie which is worth a look if you've got time.

http://www.orcadianstone.co.uk/exhibition.htm
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM

I think you'll find your boat docks at Invergordon, not Inverness. They are 25 miles apart. So you need to fix that gap too.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I assume I can rent a car in Invrtgordon and then take off for Wick. We plan to sightsee around Inverness area after our trip north, and before taking train to Edinburgh. Haven't worked out how many days where, etc yet. Need to do a little more research. Thank you!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 03:47 AM

Invergordon is a tiny wee place. I don't believe any of the major car hire companies have a depot there, although they may be able to offer delivery/collection out of their Inverness depots (for additional cost). I did find one local car dealership that does reasonably priced car hire in Invergordon itself. No personal experience of them, but as a Peugeot main dealer they should be reputable:-

http://www.kensgarage.co.uk/car-rental
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Is your family connection to the Sinclair clan? Is yes, there is another Sinclair locale just outside Edinburgh you should visit that's much easier to get to than the far north coast. It would be Rosslyn Chapel, famed not only for its connections to the Sinclair clan but also for the Knights Templar, DaVinci Code and related conspiracy theories. It's easy to get to via public transport (bus). I did this three years ago and if memory serves, I believe I took a bus from the central business district of Edinburgh.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Is anyone familiar with "TheTaxi Tour Experience"? I am checking into a one day (long day,I'm sure due to drive time) driver to take us from when we get off them ship,to Wick and return,with stops along the way to see scenic sights. Any other suggestions for drivers or tour organizers in the area?

Thank you also for the heads-up about Rosslyn Chapel. We are planning to visit the Chapel when in Edinburgh. There is just something about going to the far north to see the ruins of the Sinclair Castle and feel the winds blowing in off Sinclair Bay. One of those bucket list kind of deals,I guess. No, its probably not convenient, or really worth it in the long run,just one of those things I really want to do in my life.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 06:09 AM

There is certainly car hire close to Inverness (Alness) and Enterprise claim they service Invergordon; and there are shore excursions run from there
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:12 AM

An excellent day trip from John O Groat's ( not far from Wick) is to take the Jogferry across the Pentland Firth to Orkney where you board a coach for a day's sightseeing of Orkney. Places you'll see/visit are the Churchhill Barriers, the Italian Chapel, Scara Brae, Stenness Stones as well as spend time in Stromness and several hours on your own to explore Kirkwell where you can visit the 12 th century St. Magus Church and Bishop's Palace.

Kirwell also has a couple of very nice jewelery shops...Ola Gorie and Shelia Fleet. If you do happen to get to Kirkwell, I recommend the trying the local ice cream.

Don't know if this fits your interests or plans but, IMO, it's likely to be the best way to spend a day.

www.jogferry.co.uk