Reload this Page >

Sidetrips from Munich

Search

Sidetrips from Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Robin

Sidetrips from Munich

Hello, <BR> <BR>Have another question - I was wondering if anyone had take the river rafting trip down the Isar? It departs from Wolfratshausen. Am going to Munich in June with my 14 year old son and wondered what this river trip was like. Also, just would like recommendations about day trips in general. I have heard about Salzburg (we will go to Dachau) as well as Neuschwanstein. Won't have a car so will need to go by train. Thanks for you help. <BR>Robin

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 12:09 PM
Maira

I believe you can get to Obersalzburg and Berchestgaden (sp?) by train. Definitely worth it. I also visited Landshut from Munich and thought it was a charming town; closer to the airport. Garmish is fun and, if you are into hiking, is heaven. I believe those are easily reach by train lines from Munich. <BR> <BR>Would you consider a car? Bavaria is such an amazing region for independent car travel!

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 05:35 PM
Russ

Andechs Monastery, just to the southwest of Munich, has an incredible chapel, a huge outdoor terrace restaurant with a view of the alps on a clear day, terrific, cheap, traditional German food, homemade beer, and a wonderful, joyous atmosphere on a hilltop with an incredible view over the Ammersee Lake. From Munich's central station, it's maybe 40 minutes by train to Herrsching, right on the lake, then a moderate 2-mile hike or so up to the monastery. You can also take a bus from Herrsching or drive there.) Don't miss it. It's very popular on weekends with Germans, young and (mostly) old, who complete the hike/pilgrimage and then treat themselves to a little refreshment. I can't wait to go back. See the website at www.andechs.de

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 07:04 PM
bo_jack

I have driven along the Isar last spring and have done a lot of whitewater boating (canoe & kayak) in the US. The Isar appears to be what is called a relatively easy Class III river in the US. It appears to be rather fast and dropping, with some good sized waves, but relatively few technical rapids that require much manuevering. I would judge it to be more like the Nantahala than like the Ocoee -- if you happen to be familiar with these rivers in the SE US. With a reasonably competent outfitter, it should be perfectly safe for a 14 year old. A fast trip, not particularly scenic -- but fairly safe and enjoyable.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Bill Irving

I have taken a day trip from Munich to Salzburg, via train. It is very do-able. The scenery along the train route is fantastic, especially through the mountains. From the Salzburg train station, you can either walk (about 15 minutes or so), or take a bus to the Old part of town & do all sorts of things there including going up to the castle - take the English speaking tour. Didn't figure out how to take the train to Neuschwanstein, but took a bus tour arranged from our hotel. I am not a tour person, but I didn't want to miss that castle, but that tour was a good one & it also stopped at another Ludwig castle. We also did alittle bit of our own day trip fom Munich along the Romantic Road & back, as described in the Europe by Eurail book, which describes all sorts of day trips by train. We took a scheduled bus line that made stops in various towns on the Romantic Road & then from 1 of them( I forget which one) we didn't get back on the bus, but caught the train back to Munich. On that day, there were quite a few people doing the same thing.

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Julie

The mountains are unbelievably beautiful. If you can rent a car or take a bus trip up into the Bavarian mountains it is well worth it. I was in Salzburg and went from there on a tour to the mountains and I was blown away. Salzburg is so quaint we ended up staying an extra day there because we liked it so much. We took the Sound Of Music tour - pure cheese but very very fun! If you go to Salzburg it is a must to go to the beerhall attached to the monastery on top of the hill - best beer I have ever had.