Reload this Page >

Side trips from Heidelberg - have 4 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Carol

I am spending a week on business in Heidelberg. My husband an I are free Friday Nov 17 until my flight leaves Frankfurt Nov 21 (Tuesday at 10:50am). Having a hard time deciding on traveling to Strousbourgh, France and Baden Baden area versus heading northwest to stay at the highly recommmended Burghotel auf Schoenburg Castle. Wonder how much to do and how to end up near the airport at the end. Is it feasible to travel to Strausburg and end up at auf Schoenburg with an early morning drive to the airport? Or is it wise to stay in Frankfurt the night before the flight? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this is our first trip to Europe.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 10:52 AM
kk

Carol, if this is your first trip to Europe and you are interested in Germany, I'd just stay near there and not waste your precious time traveling. The Rhine Valley and the Mosel Valley too are well worth exploring and they will be just north of you. The beautiful Black Forest is to your south from Heidelberg. <BR>Personally, I think Baden Baden is a little boring. Pretty but small and I would skip it unless you are into very expensive gambling. <BR>It's not necessary to stay at/near the Frankfurt airport the night before your flight unless your flight is very early. The airport hotel itself is absolutely outrageously priced. Be warned it is a real ripoff.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Ann

Carol, I agree with Kay that Baden Baden is not a big highlight unless you want to gamble or do the spa thing (and there are non-coed sessions). The Black Forest is beautiful and we just stayed at a wonderful house above Triberg, which has the touristy "House of 1000 Clocks" (handy if you actually do want one) and spectacular waterfalls only a 10-minute, easy walk from the parking area. And we always, always stay at Burghotel auf Schonburg the last night before we leave Germany and have never had a problem making our flight... it's less than an hour even driving back down the Rhine rather than taking the autobahn. But I'm with Kay: I'd recommend the Mosel (Trier and anywhere around Cochem) and the Rhine. Feel free to email me or post back if you want some specifics.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 04:07 AM
Carol

Thank you - very helpful advice! I emailed Ann for specifics. I will definitely skip Baden Baden - now just trying to find the new towns on my map!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 04:37 AM
Don and Linda

Not so fast, Carol! <BR> <BR>&gt; I will definitely skip Baden Baden <BR> <BR>Read our travelogue about our visit to Baden-Baden before you write it off completely: http://www.thetravelzine.com/fall99baden.htm <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Don and Linda <BR>TheTravelzine.com is non-commercial

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 04:42 AM
Carol

Do you need to reserve for dinner at the auf Schonburg (as part of the room) or can we wing that one and be free to choose dinner there or not depending on how the day goes?