Notices

side trips from Geneva

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Laura

side trips from Geneva

I will be in Geneva for 3 days, and have another 3-4 days before returning to U.S. Should I go to other cities in Switzerland, or try to go to Paris?I'd like to travel by train, because I'll be flying out of Geneva.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:31 AM
Florence

I'ts more a question of tastes than a problem of transportation. Paris is only 3 hours from Geneva by TGV and you can go almost everywhere by train and other public transportation in Switzerland.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Rex

You might not have considered that flying to your "excursion" destination for a few days would actually be cheaper and faster than the train.

For example, Geneva-Nice on www.easyjet.com - - 35 CHF ($21 USD), 1 hr flying time

vs

Geneva-Paris on www.sncf.com - - 420 FF ($59), 3 hrs 38 min travel time.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 02:39 PM
deepa

Annecy in France. Beautiful and just a couple hours by bus. Can be done as a day trip. Lake Annecy is supposed to be the cleanest in Europe. Do take the boat tour.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 04:07 AM
DINA

I visisted Geneva last year for 3 days. Did plenty of shopping - walking and took a cable car up to mount salve (sp). but If I stayed for longer I would have taken the train to nearby villages around the lake - like that cheese place Guyere (sp) supposed to be very scenic. Train services are very good and are reasonably priced.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Steve James

Hello Laura,

A second vote for Annecy, - a lovely town, as Deepa said.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 04:31 AM
s

Laura,

I often vacation on Lake Geneva, and I never have enough time to do all that I want. Here are some of my favorite activities -- maybe one or more may appeal to you and help you enjoy your stay there. Though I usually stay in Montreux, all of these daytrips are easily arranged from Geneva.

Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Montreux to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau Chillon along the way; there are plenty of cafes to stop and have a coffee & snack along the way to replenish your strength. Top it off with a wonderful pizza & beer lunch at a lakeside café in Villeneuve, then take the ferry back to Montreux (I think the ferry stops in late Sep/Oct).

Spend the morning in Vevey hunting down the antiques shops in the old town. Then have lunch at the Hostellerie de Geneve on the Pl. Marche (find a review/info on Vevey in the New York Times Travel section archives, "What's Doing in Vevey.").

Take the "wine train" from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz & St. Saphorin. For lunch, find the Auberge du Rivaz with a terrace lake view, the Café de Raisin in St. Saphorin, or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting.

Spend the day exploring Cully ,outside Lausanne, and have lunch at the Auberge du Raisin, a Relais & Chateaux restaurant.

Explore Lutry's (outside Lausanne as well) well-posted tour of medieval buildings.

Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train to the jet-set resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateaux d'Oex, where the only successful round-the-world-by-hot-air-balloon trip was launched. Or stop at Glion for lunch at the Hotel Victoria with its panoramic views of the lake; then walk the rest of the way down to Montreux on a stair-step path through the forest (or take the train or the funicular to Territet).

Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double.

Spend an afteroon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby.

Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city & the museum & the old church. Fantastic views from the old church (can't remember the name -- but it's prominent in the old city). Have lunch at the restaurant at the museum.

Here are the websites:
www.montreux.ch (find their picture gallery)
www.vevey.ch
www.lake-geneva-region.ch
www.gruyeres.ch
www.nyon.ch
www. lutry.ch
www.concierge.com (type in "Switzerland" as a
destination, then go to "Lausanne & the Alps").
www.rail.ch (for train fares & schedules)

Have a great trip.

s

E-mail me if I can help with other information --

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Christine

I was just in Annecy for the first time over the weekend and would definitely recommend a visit.