COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Side trips by car from Istanbul?

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Side trips by car from Istanbul?

We will spend two or three days in Istanbul in early fall. With a few days left in our trip before we return to Athens and back to the US, we are thinking of renting a car and getting out of the city (Istanbul) for 3-4 days. We are less interested in coastal resorts (too far down the coast for our time frame, anyway) and more interested in interesting scenery, good food, "local color." If you had 3-4 days after a visit to Istanbul, where would you visit by car? Or would you, perhaps, remain in the city and take a couple of day trips by taxi , bus or boat out of town? To where? Many thanks!!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM

I'm one that is ready to go after being in a city for 2 days - I've seen and done all I want and ready to move on. That was not the case when I was in Istanbul. There is so much to see, 2 palaces (Topkapi[easily half a day if you take the tour of the harem] & Dolmbachi), the spice market, the mosques, the cisterns, a boat ride down the Bosporus, etc. I would say you need to take your time and enjoy this wonderful city then if you have time, take a side trip out of the city.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM

If you love History and Arhaelogy You may follow the trip:

Rent a car from Istanbul drive to Canakkale via Tekirdag or drive to Edirne and stay overnight there and visit Architect Sinan's SELIMIYE MOSQUE it's worth to drive to Edirne. After Edirne you can drive to Canakkale for TROIA and GALLIPOLI Peninsula. On the way to Canakkale you may visit UZUN KOPRU (Bridge)which is still using.

After Canakkale you may drive to Pergamum to visit one of the oldest Hospital (Asclepion) and the city of Pergamum where the Parchment invented and also you may visit Red Basilica. You may stay overnight in Selcuk, Sirince or Kusadasi for your next day excursion. You can visit Ephesus, Virgin Mary's house, St John's Church and Artemission whichj is one of the 7 wanders of the world. I recommend you stay in this area 2 nights and DO nOT forget to taste SIRINCE wine.

4th days you may start to drive back to Istanbul On the way to Istanbul stay overnight in BURSA for your OTTOMAN lifestyle and you may get cheapest SILK here.

5th day you may drive to Istanbul back.

You do NOT have any problem on the road because most of the roads are good in Turkey. BUT keep your eyes on the road because some places has really beatiful wievs.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Sinan, that is very helpful. I should have added that I have been to Turkey many years ago when I visited Ephesus. It remains one of the highlights of my many years of traveling. I will share the information posted by both you and LindaL with my friends. I thank you both for your responses and may ask more questions in the coming month or two!!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM

You are welcome. I am here to help.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz