Search

Side trip to Italy from Nice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side trip to Italy from Nice

Hi
Wondering if anyone here can suggest a good spot on the Italian side of the Riviera to drive to for a day trip from Nice. We will be there during the first week of June and are not huge beach people. Just need to soak in a little bit of Italy before flying home the following day from Nice. Thinking about either Sanremo or Bordighera, but maybe there are other places that I should be considering.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by kika; Mar 5th, 2022 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Hi kika, we based in nearby Menton and our hotel organized a trip to the Friday market in Ventimiglia. It covered a huge area of the downtown, but the normal covered market also there was very pretty. Not driving meant not worrying about parking...the hotel van parked on the opposite side of the water...an easy walk.

Here's my TR for other ideas:
Trip Report from Menton and Lyon

Old Mar 5th, 2022, 08:02 AM

I found this article which may be helpful: https://www.lifeonthemediterranean.c...rance-to-italy
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 10:25 AM

San Remo and Bordighera make for two good choices, and are reachable by train. I prefer the latter. If you have a car, up from Finale Ligure is Finalborgo, the ancient castle village. The drive along the coast is especially nice here, after Finale Ligure the road hugs the waves, although it is very narrow and a bit twisty, it is flat (btw, some of the routes down from the mountains near the coastal villages are very, very twisty and steep -- amazingly so, if ahem, you take a wrong detour like what we did one drive south. We have a place on the Cote d'Azur). I should note that in season the beaches are quite nice around here, and so expect a lot of traffic in high season.

You might consider the hill towns Dolceacqua and on to Apricale. They are just north of Ventimiglia, right after the border crossing. You can generally skip Ventimiglia unless you are drawn to the inexpensive market there.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 12:03 PM

Since you have a car, I will throw the Principality of Seborga into the mix. Neat little place. We spent a couple hours there, then drove down to Ventimiglia for a bit before heading back to France.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ventimiglia is an easy side trip. Forget going much farther into Italy for just a day trip. And don't buy the counterfeit luxury items at the Ventimiglia market, because French customs often stop and check people returning and the consequences can be severe.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 03:34 PM

That's an inviting link, Ktravel. Yikes, kerouac, would something be a knockoff simply because it's at the market? I'm not into labels so never considered the aspect you described. Thanks for the heads up..
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM

It would be a shame to miss Menton.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooster
San Remo and Bordighera make for two good choices, and are reachable by train. I prefer the latter. If you have a car, up from Finale Ligure is , the ancient castle village. The drive along the coast is especially nice here, after Finale Ligure the road hugs the waves, although it is very narrow and a bit twisty, it is flat (btw, some of the routes down from the mountains near the coastal villages are very, very twisty and steep -- amazingly so, if ahem, you take a wrong detour like what we did one drive south. We have a place on the Cote d'Azur). I should note that in season the beaches are quite nice around here, and so expect a lot of traffic in high season.

You might consider the hill towns Dolceacqua and on to Apricale. They are just north of Ventimiglia, right after the border crossing. You can generally skip Ventimiglia unless you are drawn to the inexpensive market there.
Finale Ligure looks perfect, thank you! I hadn't heard of it or Bordighera before.Might be worth tweaking the itinerary to take a night from France and move it to Italy.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the market is full of dodgy stuff and the French police are very a'gin it. Some years they take it all out of cars and steamroller it. You would think the Italian police might do the same.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by TDudette
That's an inviting link, Ktravel. Yikes, kerouac, would something be a knockoff simply because it's at the market? I'm not into labels so never considered the aspect you described. Thanks for the heads up..
In this type of market, anything with a designer logo is fake. If you're not into labels, you may not recognize the logo, so just avoid all branded items.
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by kika
Finale Ligure looks perfect, thank you! I hadn't heard of it or Bordighera before.Might be worth tweaking the itinerary to take a night from France and move it to Italy.
You are welcome. Sorry, I dropped the name of the little village, it is Finalborgo. Final Ligure is the modern part and isn't nearly as charming as the old village above (although the beaches are there). Bordighera is a very nice charming, small seaside village as an alternative to San Remo. .
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. It has given me lots to read up on.

The market in Ventimilia doesn't really appeal to me. We aren't much into shopping.

KTravel, that link is so helpful. Thank you!

Shelem, I was considering Menton because I want to experience a little taste of Italy. That's what cause me to think that we should just go there since we are so close. Menton, however would be more practical. Can you tell me what it is about it that you enjoyed?The little bit of reading I have done has given me the impression that it's mostly geared to families with young children.

YankeeGal, Seborga looks like a fascinating place! So cool that they consider themselves independent from Italy, have their own currency, passport, etc.. Thanks for suggesting it. I never would have found that otherwise.,

Old Mar 8th, 2022, 10:44 AM

Most notably, Jean Cocteau was from Menton and there is a great collection of his in the fort museum. The entire harbor area is gorgeous, from the fort to the old town. Waterfront and old town are painted a distinctive lemon, orange, and pink. The old town is a maze of stairs, alleys, and small corners. Perched high above the harbor, the cemetary of the old chateau has sensational views.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 05:05 PM

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to hit both Menton and Ventimiglia on my own trip. Can these towns be seen in half a day each (see them both in one day) or will they need a whole day each?
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 05:27 AM

YankeeGal, Seborga looks like a fascina*ting place! So cool that they consider themselves independent from Italy, have their own currency, passport, etc.. Thanks for suggesting it. I never would have found that otherwise*.,
I'd bet you can buy the passport in the tourist office.

There are many of these micronations in the world. Many are tongue-in-cheek tourist attractions, and I have a feeling that Seborga is in this category. Its first truler styled himself "His Tremendousness".
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by MIACHARLIE
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to hit both Menton and Ventimiglia on my own trip. Can these towns be seen in half a day each (see them both in one day) or will they need a whole day each?
I have only been to Menton. If you want to go fast, you can.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by bvlenci

There are many of these micronations in the world. Many are tongue-in-cheek tourist attractions, and I have a feeling that Seborga is in this category. Its first truler styled himself "His Tremendousness".

Well, we were there in late September and there were not many other tourists.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bvlenci

There are many of these micronations in the world. Many are tongue-in-cheek tourist attractions, and I have a feeling that Seborga is in this category.

Its first truler styled himself "His Tremendousness".

That is hilarious!
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shelemm
Most notably, Jean Cocteau was from Menton and there is a great collection of his in the fort museum. The entire harbor area is gorgeous, from the fort to the old town. Waterfront and old town are painted a distinctive lemon, orange, and pink. The old town is a maze of stairs, alleys, and small corners. Perched high above the harbor, the cemetary of the old chateau has sensational views.
Thank you. As we only have 3 days in the Riviera, I am thinking that this will be a close to visiting Italy as we can realistically get. Gives us a good excuse to go there on our next trip to Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -