Reload this Page >

Side Door to Louvre - shorter lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:34 AM
Christine

Does anyone know where this elusive 'side door' to the Louvre is? I've heard it's quicker to get in rather than the lines at the Pyramid. <BR><BR>Sorry if this message had been posted already. I tried once before but the message wouldn't post.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:43 PM
Maribel

We just returned from 9 rainsoaked but wonderful days in Paris and when visiting the Louvre (after 4 consecutive days of its being closed due to a strike, plus the usually Tues. closing), we didn't find the "elusive side entrance" either, but we did follow a Fodor tip which worked like a charm. (Thanks to all Fodorites for your fabulous tips and recommendations!). We took the #69 bus from near our hotel (d'Orsay area) to a stop in front of the Louvre along Rue Rivoli, entered through the Passage Richelieu, walked up to the two guards standing on the right hand side behind a roped off area under a sign (in French) indicating that "carte" holders could enter there, displayed to them our museum pass (Carte Musees-Monuments), they immediately let us through and down we went on the escalator to the main entrance area (with railway station-like traffic!) to all wings, the ticket booths (with huge lines we thankfully avoided), gift shop, cafes. To enter the Denon Wing, once again, we simply approached, flashed our musuem pass and breezed through-this way we completely avoided the long lines at the security check outside the Pyramid entrance. No security, no lines. It was a breeze!<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:33 PM
RWL

I believe Maribel's description is the "side door" to the Louvre. My understanding is that only ticket holders could use that entrance. You may want to do some searches on how to obtain tickets in advance. I know they're available in Paris' Virgin megastores with a slight surcharge.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:53 PM
Quicksilver

Hi Christine,<BR><BR>You can see a recent thread on this topic by following the link below:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.cfm?fid=2&amp;tid=1284883&amp;<BR><BR >Happy Travels!<BR><BR> - Quicksilver -

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:00 PM
Doug

The "side entrance" from the Rue du Rivoli is for groups and holders of the Carte Musees only. There is an alternative entrance through the Carrousel du Louvre shopping centre, which will have shorter lines (if any) than the main pyramid entrance. You can access the shopping centre from the matro, the parking and the Rue du Rivoli.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:50 PM
Joanna

If you want the museum pass before seeing the Louvre make sure you see one of the less visited museums beforehand, such as the Rodin or Cluny Museum. There was no queue at Cluny when I was last there, quite unlike the queue at the Louvre! As for the side door, you don't need to worry about that if you already have the pass, just bypass the queue and show your pass to the guard at the entrance. It's better to enter via the pyramid, as it leads off to each of the 3 wings. With the side entrance you might be a long way from the exhibits you wish to see.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:02 PM
Quicksilver

Joanna may be right about the Richelieu entrance -- I'm not sure where, along the wing, that entrance is as I've never gone in that way.<BR><BR>However, the entrance at 99 rue de Rivoli (the one that goes through the Carrousel du Louvre shopping centre) lands you directly under the pyramid, with the same ease of access to all three wings.<BR><BR>Happy travels!<BR><BR> - Quicksilver -

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 03:50 PM
Paul

Just a follow-up question about the use of the Carte Musees-Monuments. I know that in many museums/monuments admission for children is free. We want to use the pass to avoid the lines, but in practice did those of you traveling with kids find that you had to get in line to buy a reduced price ticket for a kid? I've looked at many of the posts on this topic as well as info from the ticket site, but I don't see this info listed. I'm wondering whether it is worth purchaing the pass for children as it is rather expensive.<BR>I realize this may be a difficult question to answer without knowing exactly which museums/monuments we will visit, but any experiences you have had would be helpful feedback for me. Thanks.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Elaine

Paul,<BR><BR>Search this site for "carte musee". The second question "carte musee for kids?" will provide some answers.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Patty

Just returned from Paris last night. I want to thank all for their input on the side door to the Louvre (Maribel, I printed your response and took it with me...perfect directions). I bought my pass at the Rodin (no one in line) and then right into the Louvre 5 days in a row and NEVER waited behind anyone. My daughter just walked right in with me. I'm so thankful for this information as we bypassed the Louvre last time in Paris because we saw the massive crowd at the Pyramid.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Maribel

Hi Patty <BR>Whew! Glad my directions worked for you. Just a note about purchasing the museum pass-I had originally planned to purchase it at the first museum we planned to visit, the d'Orsay (our hotel was 1/2 block away), as I had read here on the forum that it could be purchased in their gift shop, which has a separate entrance. I changed my mind at the last minute and purchased it online (yes, paying more, I realize, but did it for the sheer convenience and to hit the ground running-we had a lot of ground to cover). It turned out that the lines at the d'Orsay were extremely long last month (Louvre had been closed for 4 straight days due to the strike-everyone turned to the d'Orsay), but with out cartes in hand we swept right to the front of the line. We still had to pass through the metal detectors, but we were spared a long wait in the rain. It turned out that the pass is not sold in the gift shop (I asked the sales clerks), but instead in the museum itself. Just thought I'd mention it, in case anyone rading is planning on purchasing it at the d'Orsay gift shop.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Maribel

Oops! Make that "reading", not "rading". Argh.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Patty

I also should have mentioned the Orsay. We went into the bookstore, walked directly to the back, flashed the pass and walked right in. The line outside was blocks long. My daughter stayed inside to sketch while I took a walk back to the hotel. When I returned the line was even longer and I breezed right through the bookstore again with hardly a glance at my pass. I'm forever grateful for this forum for making my trip a memorable one. Merci!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:37 AM
donna

Maribel - <BR>Where on line did you purchase the carte musee? And if you recall what was the price difference. <BR> <BR>We are going in June and it sounds like a good way to avoid the crowds. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Diane

When we were there, I believe you could even purchase them at some of the larger Metro ticket booths (when you get a carnet of metro tickets!) We got ours at the Picasso Museum -- no wait at all.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:13 AM
CSP

I am also interested in purchasing a musee pass on-line, would anyone have the information?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 09:34 AM
elvira

On-line carte musees purchase: <BR> <BR>Used these folks for concert tickets with great success: <BR>http://www.ticketavenue.com/info/passes.php <BR> <BR>Another site (I've never used it for purchasing) <BR>http://www.gotoparis.net/gotoparis/musee.html <BR> <BR>Have used these guys (I think it's part of the French Tourist Bureau): <BR>http://www.conciergerie.com/main.htm

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Maribel

Thanks Elvira! <BR>www.ticketavenue.com was my online source, also for tickets to several concerts-the voucher was for these tickets delivered to our hotel, then I exchanged voucher for tickets at concert venue-very simple, easy. <BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 11:56 AM
dale

Speaking of the carte musee, I am leaving for Paris Sat. and will be there for a few days, one of which will be May 1st. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know if May 1st will count as one of my days on a 3 day pass?

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Sherrie

I just returned from Paris. In the shopping center below the Louvre near the checkpoint for entering, (even here was a 2 hour line!) is a tourist office. They sell the week museum passes and said the shorter ones were for sale in the Metro station just outside. I'm not sure if they were out of the 3 day passes or don't sell them there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -