Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SICILY - Stay in Trapani or Castellammare Del Golfo or San Vito lo Capo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in this area for 4 days in June, and then will spend 2 days in Palermo.
We would like to visit -
Trapani
Erice ;
Segesta;
Selinunte;
San Vito lo Capo;
and possibly Marsala
and also stay in a beach town.
Can anyone give us advice as to the best place to stay for these -
Trapani or Castellammare Del Golfo or San Vito lo Capo?
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Hi barry,

I assume you will have a car? You really need one to make these "day trips" easy. If you look at a detailed map of the roads in this part of Sicily, Trapani would make the best base, but it's not a beach town.

If you stayed in San Vito Lo Capo (a beach town), you would be increasing your driving by quite a bit and in June there might be traffic, although not the traffic you would experience in August.

People who have visited Sicily (I have) would mostly agree that Castellammare Del Golfo is not a nice beach. It's reported to be quite dirty according to the local experts. I had a view of the city from above and would not think of it was a place I would choose to stay for 4 days. Although it would probably be OK for the day trips you want since it's right off the main autostrada.

I stayed in Erice for 3 nights and from there visited Segesta as a half day trip. I picked up my car in downtown Trapani and visited the salt pans and a salt museum. I went on to Scopello where I stayed 1 night to hike in Lo Zingaro.

I did not make time for Marsala as I can't abide Marsala wine.

I found driving up and down to Erice easy and preferred staying there to Trapani. Loved Erice and highly recommend a full day visit there at the minimum. Much to see!

Erice Pietre Antiche Apartments are perfect and highly recommend them. Availability may be a problem at this late date as there are only 4.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved both Erice and Trapani (stayed in both), but Trapani would be more convenient for day trips.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM

Thanks again thursdayd!
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks Dayle and thursdaysd for the great input ! Trapani looks a better option for me, as it appears parking in Erice can be a challenge? Anybody got recommendations for hotels in Trapani ? thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 07:02 AM

We stayed at Hotel Vitoria - very easy to park the car on the piazza in front of the hotel.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 07:51 AM

barry,

If you wanted to stay in Erice, I'm sure your hotel or lodging could help with parking. I parked in the visitor's lot just outside the town wall next to the bus stop. You pay during the day, but overnight is free.

Highly recommend Erice Pietre Antiche (booking.com). Large lovely apts with separate bedroom and bath, with a kitchenette, simple breakfast items and toiletries included, clean, private courtyard (2 downstairs apts) and terrace (2 upstairs apts).

Massimo, the manager, is very helpful and a super nice person. Answers e mails promptly. He can meet you at the town wall and drive you to the apts, which I would not attempt to find on my own the first time!

Buon viaggio
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Scopello has hotels too. And the small sandy coves in the Zingaro park are very nice beach places (if one doesn't need chairs, umbrellas and loud bar music).
San Vito is a bit farther away, but has better beaches and tons of hotels and restaurants. Day trips from there shouldn't be a problem by car.