Sicily: Selinunte/Sciacca Hotels

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Sicily: Selinunte/Sciacca Hotels

We will be vacationing in Sicily in May 2004. After spending 3 days in Palermo, the next day we plan to visit Segesta, Erice, and Selinunte. Would it be too long a drive to spend that night in Agrigento? If so, do you have a recommendation for accommodations in Sciacca?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I would recommend:

http://www.verdetecnica.com/

It's on the outskirts of the town which is a blessing. It's on a mountain, I forget the name. It's very difficult to drive in Sciacca itself. There are very good restaurants close by. I found it very convenient for daytrips to Selinunte and Agrigento.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:07 AM

By the way, what we did is this: drove out of Palermo to see Segesta, then we went to Erice. By the time that was done we checked into Verdetecnica around 5 pm that day. The next day we did a day trip to Selinunte, and then the next a day trip to Agrigento. Sciacca sits in between Selinunte and Agrigento.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

AP, I just checked the website and it looks just fine. Sounds like a good idea to stay outside of the city. Other Fodorites have suggested this place in the past which reinforces your experience. I hesitated earlier because we don't really need a self-catering accommodation, but since it isn't going to cost anything more it doesn't matter. Also, they do take reservations for just one night. Thanks.

I've read your posts in the past as we originally planned to go to Sicily last year. Is you itinerary someplace on Fodors?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:22 PM

I think seeing Segesta, Erice and Selinunte in one day would be too much. Segesta is only about an hour and a half from Palermo, so you could definitely see it while you're still in Palermo. Erice and Selinunte can be seen in the same day. On the way to Agrigento you could stay in Porto Palo, Sciacca or Eraclea Minoa. I disagree with AP about Sciacca being difficult to drive in. It's a lot easier than driving in Erice or Monreale. It's also very pretty town and worth a night's stay. But whichever you decide, treat yourself to lunch (or dinner) at Da Vittorio in Porto Palo. It is truly a must see.
Roger
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM

The part of Sciacca that we drove in was worse than Palermo, seriously. The streets were unbelievably narrow. Evelyn, this is the link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34412340