Sicily on our own

Search

Sicily on our own

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily on our own

Touring for 2 weeks in Sciliy and I'm looking for places to stay. Nice accomadations, but reasonable. 4 are traveling together and would need 2 rooms for 2 to 3 nights taking Fodor's suggested 2 weeks in Sciliy tour.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:12 AM

If you plan on staying in Taormina, I suggest the Hotel Condor. We stayed there this past April and were happy with the location and accommodations.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM

We stayed at the Villa Schuler in Taormina. We loved the accomodation, the best part of which is the view of Mt. Etna from the large rooms and the beautiful terrace overlooking the water and Mt. Etna. It is perfectly located in a quiet area of town but convenient to all of the sights. In Palermo we stayed at the Principe di Villafranca which is a lovely hotel with the best breakfast I have ever had in Italy. I highly recommend the hotel. We stayed in a lovely agritourismo, Agritourismo Gigliotti, outside of Piazza Armerina. I wouldn't recommend our hotels on our other stops in Siracusa and Agrigento.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM

In recent years, young Sicilians have been given help and tax incentives to restore family property to turn it into B&Bs and farmhouse accomodations. In my experience, these places far surpass the quality of most Sicilian hotels. If you search on Tripadvisor for your target towns, and look at B&B and specialty lodging, you can find up-to-date user reviews. Likewise for venere.com.

Since you are 4 people traveling together, presumably with a car, you might find it very enjoyable and cheap to stay at farmhouses that serve dinner. You can locate many of these on Tripadvisor (specialty lodging) or do google searches for the names of the places you plan to visit, plus "agriturismo."

I find Taormina really too jammed with tourists for my tastes, and I prefer the town above it, which has the same spectacular views, plus a view of Taormina too! It is Castelmola, and although I haven't stayed at the Villa Sonia, I have read nice things about it. I have also heard people say that the town of Acireale makes a good, scenic base for visiting Taormina, and is much cheaper of course.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM

I gather the 2-week itinerary you refer to is that of Bob the Navigator? To my knowledge, he's not employed by Fodor's.

And you need to specify what nice but reasonable means to you. What's your budget per room per night?

That said, I add my appreciation for Villa Schuler in Taormina. Very convenient yet quiet location, fantastic views.

On the other hand I found the Agriturismo Gigliotto to be more of a country hotel than an agriturismo. A country hotel with a BIG advertising budget.

We enjoyed our time in Ortigia, staying there at the l'Approdo delle Sirene. It's on a corner of the island near the mainland with good views. Along with a room there comes the loan of a notebook computer. Great idea!

And in Palermo we really liked the Hotel Ambasciatori, great view from the rooftop terrace, very good breakfast, centrally located.

We trained between Taormina and Siracusa. Parking would have been hard to find in either of these 2 cities, and the train was very pleasant.