Sicily: itinerary for 5 days ?

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Ismael

Sicily: itinerary for 5 days ?

We're going to Sicily but we're in doubt about the itinerary.
Any help will be great.
Thanks, Ismael

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:01 PM
dodin

To be able to help you, it is important to know if you are coming From Catania or from Palermo?

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:20 AM
bernice

why sicily?

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:19 AM
xxx

When you say you're "in doubt" about the itinerary, do you mean you're not sure whather your tentative plans are good ones? What are the plans so far. Where are you arriving and from where are you leaving, or are you still unsure of that? Also what time of year?

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Ismael

To all who answered my post:
- We're not sure what itinerary we should do in Sicily. One possibility is Catania, Taormina, Agrigento and Palermo.
Another could be Catania and Taormina.
Is it important to visit a bigger city in Sicily ? Catania or Palermo?
- We're open to any suggestion. Important for us is your personal opnions and advices. What you liked and disliked. What you think is to not miss.
We're going in September.
Thanks, Ismael

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Kristina

Hi-
I spent 8 days in Sicily a few years ago. Don't miss Palermo and the large open market streets there. It's a big city but it has tons of character. Also, son't miss Agrigento; it has some of the best Greek ruins in the world.
If you want to see my trip, go to
http://www.wired2theworld.com/italy2.htm

Old May 19th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ray

Ismael: There is so much to see in Sicily that you must decide on your preferrences such as Palermo with its many interesting sites; smaller charming towns such as Taormina, Siracusa, Erice, etc; major sites of antiquities such as Segesta, Selinunte, Agrigento, etc; even coastal resorts such as Mondello or Cefalu; or some combination. With only 5 days, you must make some difficult decisions because you cannot justifiably do it all. Your first option of Catania, Taormina, Agrigento and Palermo is much too ambious. Your second option of Taormina and Catania is limited especially since virtually none of the posts mentions Catania. Let me throw my hat in the ring with suggestions and then others can comment, disagree and revise. You didn't mention where you were arriving and how you traveling about, so I'll put that aside. I would spend the 5 days either on the east coast or on the west coast. On the east coast, I would visit Taormina, Mt Etna, Siracusa and possibly Enna. Here you have several charming small towns and some antiquities. Traveling up and down the coast is mostly major highway as is the road to Enna. On the west coast, I would visit Palermo (needs two full days), Monreale, Segesta, Selinunte and possibly Erice. Here you have the interesting sites of the big city and considerably antiquities in Segesta and Selinunte. There is a major highway system between all of these points. The Agrigento area has considerable antiquities to see but it is off the beaten path. There are no major highways leading to it, and a stop there, in my opinion, will diminish your full appreciation of the other sites. So there, at least, are some thoughts to begin with and I'm sure others contribute also.
Ciao.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Ismael

Kristina and Ray,
I'll work on your suggestions and your report and I'll let know what I think about them.
Thanks, Ismael