Sicily ideas??

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM
EMM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily ideas??

I am planning my honeymoon for late Sept/early Oct. and was thinking of the following plan, Rome 3 days, Ravello (Palazzo Sasso) 5 days, Taormina for 4-5 days. Ideas for where to stay in Taormina, we were thinking of the Grand Hotel Timeo or San Domenico Palace Hotel? Would the Aeolian Islands be a better idea? We are still working things out and are not sure we want to do Italy since we don't want too much of a "touring" honeymoon.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I can't offer advice on the hotels, but the only "touring" part of your trip would be in Rome. And even in Rome there is nothing to stop you from sitting in a cafe in Piazza Navona all morning long, sipping coffee and people watching.

Ravello is a bit apart from (higher up than) the other towns on the Amalfi Coast; whether you choose to go to some of the others, such as Amalfi itself or Positano or to the island of Capri is again totally your decision.

And you don't have to leave Taormina if you don't want to.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I am not sure of your question. That seems to be a fabulous honeymoon to me. Either hotel in Taormina is wonderful, but not cheap.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:39 AM
EMM
Original Poster

Just asking for hotel suggestions in Taormina, and if anyone had any comments on how the Aeolian Islands would be in late Sept/early Oct.
Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM
GAC

Taormina and the Aeolian Islands cannot be compared. Much depends on the personalities of the travellers.

First of all, you won't find anything comparable to either the San Domenico Palace of the Grand Hotel Timeo on the Aeolian Islands.

There are indeed several top notch hotels on the Islands (e.g. Villa Meligunis on Lipari, Raya on Panarea, Signum on Salina, La Sirenetta on Stromboli, Les Sables Noir on Vulcano), but they are much smaller and more rustic than the two previously mentioned.

Taormina is an upscale town noted for its beautiful architecture and marvellous views of Mt. Etna. There are sand beaches below, and Greek ruins at Naxos.

The Aeolian Islands are Paradise on Earth, each different from the other, and each incredibly compelling. But in early October, the weather might be unpredictable, and many hotels begin to shut down for the winter.

I love the town of Lipari as a base, but it is not as upscale as Taormina. The Archeological Museum is a real treasure trove and quite amazing for a relatively small and rustic place.

I also love taking the ferries between the Islands, but it's best to do so on sunny, warm days, not the weather is rough and rainy.

If you're interested in the Aeolian Islands, you can wait until the very last moment to book, as in late September, there won't be any problem finding hotel space. Not nearly as true for Taormina.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
EMM
Original Poster

Thank you your information was very helpful. Any thoughts on which hotel in Taormina is better? San Domenico or Grand Hotel?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM

EMM-
i can't tell you which hotel would be better but i know a great "review" site.
i am actually planning a trip myself and like you i am visiting rome, sicily, and amalfi.
check out TripAdvisors.com and then find Taormina. the reviwes are by "regular" folk, not paid reviewers. i have found they are usually dead on.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Both are excellent. I found the views from the front terrace of the Timeo to be fantastic. But, they are expensive.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:04 AM
EMM
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas/comments. I actually use tripadvisor frequently it is very helpful. I just found another hotel in Taormina, the Mazzaro Sea Palace. Any thoughts on this place vs. Timeo?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:09 AM

I would prefer -- for location -- either the San Domenico or the Timeo in Taormina itself (for the views, for being in the town, for the choice of restaurants) to the Mazzaro Sea Palace down on the sea below Taormina.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:12 AM

I believe the Mazzaro Sea Palace is really in the town beneath Taormina. To get to Taoemina you would have to take the funivia (cable car) or I'm sure that this hotel probably has transport. I'd prefer to stay in Taormina with the views, as the beaches undernetah aren't that great anyway.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:14 AM

EMM I visited the Timeo and would choose it. I think it would be ideal for a honeymoon. Though I didn't stay there, the view from the balcony as sunset is unparalleled. I would e-mail you my pics from there if you wish.