Sicily 2002 - A Trip of Miracles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2020, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As more folks are planning trips to Sicily, I keep wishing I had been a participant with Fodor's at the time DH and I visited that amazing place. We traveled from Palermo to Siracusa by bus, then took the train to Sorrento. Although we missed the Villa del Casale because of bus/timing problems, I beseech you to google it.

I always made scrapbooks of our trips. At that time, my camera was a lumex whose film was little disks! I have scanned the pages and will experiment on the first day to see if you can read the jpgs and even think it's worth doing! I will scan the Monreale photos--another must see in the Palermo area

Here goes:

The uploads didn't go in exact order. We took a bus from the Palermo airport to a stop near our hotel. This was our room and when I realized I'd left my duffel on the bus!

Our flights were from Dulles to Heathrow to Rome to Palermo. Boy we had to power walk to catch the Palermo plane but we made it:

From the hotel:

We unpacked and taxied to the massive Cathedral:

From the Cathedral, we walked through a lovely park on our way to Capella Palatino:

It was very dark (and my camera sucked by today's digital standards) but this was another 'don't miss' IMO:

Back to the hotel:

Last edited by TDudette; Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Adding captions
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:01 AM

That was a real treat, TDudette. Thank you!
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TDudette: You are a darling! I am one of those that had to cancel a trip to Sicily, so I will relish reading this tonight.

BTW, you were the one to convince me that travel through Umbria could be done by Public Transportation, and I planned my trip based on your Trip Report a few years earlier

Best regards … Ger
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Merci, mes amies! I'll add some more and try to drop out the scrapbook backing! Sorry for the small type--I could read it in 2002.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 12:11 PM

This is delightful! I’m so many ways, I miss making these travel albums. This is so much fun to see! One of my favorite places was the Capella Palatina. The mosaics are breathtaking.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Progol. Palatine was exquisite.

Will add Montreale tomorrow. The first miracle of the trip was making the connection in Rome with the Palermo plane; luggage following on the third leg even more amazing.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 05:31 PM

Thank you TDudette for this fun treat! Lovely memories for you and enjoyment for us.
Cappella Palatina was a real highlight for me. I liked it more than Monreale, maybe because of the smaller scale. I liked the cloisters at Monreale the best.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dayle. I don't remember why we didn't get inside the cloisters at Monreale but I agree about Palatina being more beautiful.

OK, here we are waiting for the plane--that file didn't get loaded. I tried clearing the background but often made typing unclear as well so just made a background to the small type:

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Day 2 was our visit to Monreale and Mondello. Another miracle was that someone turned in my duffel bag. She calls a cab to take us to the bus garage. BTW, we ate breakfast at the hotel. Can someone say if the bus companies have streamlined things since 2002?!

Stefano will take us to Monreale! Shots from the taxi:

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

We get to Monreale and take shots of each other by a fountain in from of the church.

I forgot to mention that Easter was approaching. Hence the street decorations.

Sorry for the lousy quality. From Monreale, we head to the famous market. Here's what came up when I just googled 'markets': https://wearepalermo.com/news/histor...treet-markets/
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Mercato was closing up so we didn't see anything like what the link above presented!

I can't remember if we are at the Four Corners.

Stefano dropped us at the hotel and we intrepidly took the bus to Mondello.

Tomorrow, Agrigento!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 10:12 AM

TDudette, your lovely trip report is bringing back lots of good memories. Thank you for sharing it!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, bon-voyage! When did you go?
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 03:59 PM

We went in May 2010, TDudette. It was a birthday celebration and our last family vacation abroad.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Loving your TR and photos! Isnt it wonderful to have these memories? I too !oved that lapis alter in Montorada!
And, you did make it to the cloisters at Monreale! Picture of Rhody in front of the highly decorated column is inthe cloisters. There is a lovely small fountain at one corner......Rhody was a handsome guy. 😉

Grazie mille for sharing this with us. I love the photo album style!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 08:54 PM

Ahh TDudette Sicily remains my favorite place. We visited first in 2010, then again in 2016. I would always welcome a chance to go back and explore more.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dayle. Yes, these great memories make me more grateful than sad. We didn't go inside the cloisters though.

natylou, we for sure missed a lot. We wanted to base in Catania but couldn't find a room.

OK, Day 3 is Agrigento:

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

These are pretty self-evident and there are a few labels. It was quite warm in March. And, you can see stuff in bloom.

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

After we looked at the ruins, we returned to the town and walked to the top. I remember thinking it must be a nice place to live. Please ignore the very faded ticket below. Getting on the bus back was a hoot! No one lined up--we all just pushed! After queueing up in London, I was appalled. Have things changed?

Siracusa tomorrow.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

An now, another day in Siracusa. DH and I liked to stay in hotels with restaurants. BTW, I think this was a Holiday Inn. It was run by Italians though. Poor print quality but we accidently found the papyrus museum and it was fabulous. We were amazed by the sophistication of the machinery.

Last edited by TDudette; Mar 18th, 2020 at 11:35 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -