SICILY 10 days in April

Search

SICILY 10 days in April

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SICILY 10 days in April

Looking to go to Siciliy with my teen boys and husband in April (yes, Easter break). I know people suggest flying into Palermo and out of Catania, but we are finding the airline ticket difference in price so far to be A LOT. I am looking at a realistic itinerary flying in and out of Palermo. Because we live in NYC, we would only stay 2 or 3 nights in Palermo. We like to get out into the smaller towns and more rural areas when we travel.We will be renting a car.

We want to explore ruins, churches, historical sites, poke around small towns and beaches, and hike. We will be renting AirBnBs or houses so also enjoying local markets and food shops.

I also am unsure about Taormina which could make it easier to explore and fly in and out of Palermo. I went to Taormina 25 years ago and it sort of felt like a playground for the wealthy. And I was not loving Provence last year and all of its posh little boutiques selling lavender. On the other hand, Venice is a tourist nightmare and yet it is an incredible place worth fighting the cruise ship hordes. (My inner voice dilemma that you are getting to eavesdrop on).

We have found that sometimes a ** destination can be a better experience than a *** that is overrun with a gazillion people all rushing for a selfie. And then sometimes a * destination is really kind of not worth the stop. Thanks for any help as I keep looking at the guide books and feeling a bit paralyzed. There is so much to see and we don't want to be just driving the entire time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 03:47 PM
kja

With 10 days and better flights into and out of Palermo, you might want to concentrate on just the west of the island. You won't have time for even just the highlights of Sicily in 10 days, and splitting west vs. east is a logical option.

The views from Taormina are spectacular, but even 12 years ago in May, it was so mobbed by daytrippers that I was literally bruised by being smooshed. Given that Taormina is near Catania, not Palermo, skipping it this trip might make a lot of sense.

Sicily can be visited without a car. There are even several great trip reports on this board that describe just that!
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Kja. My sense is skipping Taormina this time. Good to hear its as jam-packed as I remember. And we cannot do everything in 10 days.
We like to have a car so we can get off the beaten path. Also, my one son has T1 diabetes so it just is easier to know that the insulin is cool and there are no delays. It mostly relieves my anxiety as the mom
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 06:09 PM
kja

BTW, here's your other thread:
Sicily in April
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 07:33 AM

What about a loop from PMO airport to Castellammare - Scopello (hiking in the Zagare Park) - Segesta (well preserved ancient Greek site) - Trapani /Erice - Sellinunte (ancient Greek site) - Agrigento (best Greek temples of Sicily) - Casale (Roman villa with fine mosaics) - Cefalu (charming small town) - Palermo/Monreale - PMO airport?
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Just saw this. Yesterday my wife and I decided to also go to Sicily (and a couple days in Rome at either end) in the Spring -- most likely first two weeks in May. Having done no real research yet, and not wanting to hijack this thread, let me only say that we looked at the following loop by car (flying from Rome). Catania -- Siracusa -- Agrigento -- Palermo...but will probably cut out something. I, too await some general thoughts about what to see, since we love historical/cultural things -- not foodies hikers, etc.

I'll start my own thread when we have better research and specific questions...but wanted to latch onto this one in order to get email updates.

We live in the Philadelphia area and will use American Airlines (!!!) miles, so flying to the island is pretty much out of the question...a real slog.

Thanks.
ssander
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

It's ok to high jack... I am in the early planning stages too. I just have found flying in one city and out the other is going to be more expensive than I want to spend. If a cheap ticket appears... who knows? Maybe I will follow your itinerary
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 03:03 PM

RubyTwins, you are going to love April in Sicily. At Segesta, the upper/longer walk to the theatre was just too beautiful with wildflowers. We missed Selinunte but would go back for it. Erice was pretty, and we had good food and a lovely apartment, but I'm not sure it's a must do. Evening was very quiet.

You have such good suggestions here. Good luck on the rest of the planning.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by RubyTwins
It's ok to high jack... I am in the early planning stages too. I just have found flying in one city and out the other is going to be more expensive than I want to spend. If a cheap ticket appears... who knows? Maybe I will follow your itinerary
RubyTwins, my sister and niece spent their spring break in Sicily this March, they found good fares on Air Italia to Milan-Catania and back. Not sure if they flew out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale, but it was RT Catania, the fare was a little less than $700 if I remember right.

They had nine days on the ground but since my sister had some work at the university in Catania they spent five days there and four in Siracusa/Ortigia and didn’t go to the western or southern part of the island. They did a day trip to Mt Etna which included a hike up to the crater which they greatly enjoyed, a lot of snow still on the ground and my 23 year old niece said it was the best part of the vacation!