should we stay or should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is truly a personal decision,but would appreciate input from someone who has traveled abroad before (first time for us). our 10th anniv. trip to london and paris is scheduled for March 19-29. Both our parents want us to cancel do to the likelihood of war,and with the newest "deadline" of 3/17 for Iraq it will probably happen shortly after that. If we cancel to not get charged it has to be a week before we leave! The only thing i would worry about would be if we got stuck over there ( we are leaving our little kids for first time). My heart says go but the other side of me isnt sure? thank you for your input
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:30 AM

What airline are you flying? Several airlines (US Airways is one of them, can't think of the others) instituted more lenient refund policies this week, in light of the threat of war.<BR><BR>Personally, I would go. But if you're going to spend your time being worried or upset about the kids, then it may be better to postpone. The only problem is, with the way the world is going these days, who knows if there will ever be a better, more peaceful time in the future?<BR>
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 05:07 AM

I am facing the same thing. I am due to fly from NYC to Palermo about a week after you leave. Being that I work in NYC, right near Wall St., I don't feel that I am putting myself at any higher risk than any other day. My parents think I am nuts. Unless my flight gets cancelled, or the White House advises Americans not to fly, I will be going. If not, I will take advantage of what I heard on the news- once war is declared you will be able to change flights with no fee (depending on the airline). The weather would be warmer 3-4 weeks later in Sicily, so it wouldn't be awful to wait.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:28 AM
MGB

A few things to consider: <BR>1. How old are your kids. We just went to Hawaii in Feb. and flying made our 26 year old daughter neverous about us. Fortunately we could use our cell phone to keep in contact and told her not to watch the news too much. Think about communication either phone or email and plan ahead for that.<BR>2. When will it be safer? As someone mentioned above, things may not change. <BR>3. Consider refund exchange policies.<BR><BR>We are planning a Sept. Europe trip. Just yesterday I made a reservation for the Loire area. The wonderful french woman I spoke with felt so bad about all the bad publicity about the french. She said it was all politics and cash. We spoke for about 15 minutes and even she commented they expect each year there will be some new problem. In retrospect, we may have been fortunate to have the peace only our children have known for so long.<BR><BR>Obviously, only you can decide. I use to have the dilemma that every time we went out of the country my father would say &quot;I won't live long enough till you get back&quot; (trips were 2 to 3 weeks). Each time I was nervous leaving, even had to make arrangements just in case he did pass away. He always made it! He lived till the ripe old age of 91, and passed when we were in town. Had we postponed our trips we would have missed out on Australia, 2 trips to Europe and several trips within the US over a 6 year period.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:02 AM

We are also flying on the 27th March for a long weekend Silver Wedding celebration.<BR>We never got to go on our honeymoon as my husband was taken ill the day after we got married,and so I'm really looking forward to this.<BR>I'm not sure what will stop us going. Flights continued to depart from the U.K. throughout the Gulf War despite threats to civilian aircraft from Saddam Hussain.The terrorist threat has never been higher than since 9/11 and yet we have flown since then. <BR>These are just my thoughts at the moment.I'm fairly certain we are already into the period where we will forfeit the full airfare if we cancel.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:28 AM

As you said, it's a very personal decision. But if I were you, I'd go and never give it a second thought. Having worked on the shady side of government programs for many years, and having somewhat of a feel for what our government says versus what it does, I can tell you that I sincerely believe there will be a war, and that it will begin in April. You will be fine. I'm just one person, but that's my feeling. Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:52 AM

We are also going to Europe this Spring 4/20-5/2 for the first time. 10 days in Italy. As long as the airlines are flying, we will too. If we cancel our plans, they win. That's what Saddam wants.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:19 AM

I have plans to travel to France from mid to late April. I will also be leaving my children at home. And I am also worried about whether I'll be able to get back home to them -especially if, God forbid, things get difficult here, at home.<BR><BR>The travel company that I have made the arrangements through needs final payment by today. They have already given me an extension to make my final payment. If I choose not to go right now, I will lose $700. If I make final payment, and then choose not to go up until 24 hours before departure, I will not get my money refunded but will be given a credit to be used at a later date.<BR><BR>Although I am happy that I have the opportunity to receive a credit, I am not happy about laying out $6000 and not knowing when I will be able to travel again. That will also preclude me from having the money to travel closer to home while waiting for things to calm down overseas.<BR><BR>I really don't know what to do. I have truly been looking forward to this 2 week trip to France for quite awhile, and have spent many, many hours researching and planning for it. My Grandmother is a very experienced world traveler who rarely is detered by world events, but even she won't travel now.<BR><BR>Am I being foolhardy by continuing to consider this trip? Am I being an irresponsible parent (my children are almost 18 and 20)? Will I regret my decision to go at the last minute?<BR><BR>Wayne, what makes you believe that the war will start in April and not in March? Also, do you think that Americans might be less safe in France than other European countries due to the strained relations between the 2 countries?<BR><BR>And, for those of you who might cancel your travel plans to Europe, would you feel safer traveling to the Caribbean, Australia, or French Polynesia? Or is travel out of the question for you now?<BR><BR>For anyone who would like to share, I would love to know your thoughts regarding these questions.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
MGB

If you are concerned about Iraq and thus may cancel your trip, I am not sure why you would consider French Polynesia or for that matter Australia.<BR>With North Korea doing their thing, you do not know what could happen there. Australia is a 15 hour flight and on the same side of the world as Korea.<BR><BR>I am not saying this to be negative, personnally having been to Australia I would go. But there is always going to be a reason not to go. Political unrest, world economy, terrorists, aging or ill family members. You need to weigh your desire to travel with the level of risk (if any) that you are willing to live with.<BR><BR>We are in a little better financial framework. We are using frequent flyers to get to Europe in Sept that will cost us $50 if we redeposit. We are also doing independent travel as many do on this web. Therefore most of our accommodations have any wheres from 2 weeks to 1 day cancellation policies. It does make it easier for us to hang in there.<BR><BR>With your kids, our daughter was 26 and unhappy her parents were flying to Hawaii in February. Again communication is the key, phone or email to ease their minds. No one really knows when or if war will come you could cancel and have nothing happen. Hopefully the worst that could happen if it did break out would be reduced flights from Europe to the US and more security checks. Have an alternative plan if this happens if you need to for things at home.<BR><BR>Good Luck with your decision, it might boil down to that.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:01 PM

go go go GO GO!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:23 PM

You know, we live in a real world with all it's problems and turmoils. Over the last 10-15 years there have been wars and turmoil in the Gulf, in Yugoslavia, in the Middle East, in Columbia, Peru, Indonesia, the Philipines, Central Africa, Ivory Coast, and the list goes on and on. That's not even including minor regional disturbances like the Basque or Irish issues. <BR><BR>So what are you going to do? Are you going to wait for the world to be at peace and for all people to love and appreciate Americans. It aint gonna happen folks. If I sound a little angry it's because this week I was supposed to be on a group going to Israel and because two weeks ago the Canadian Foreign Affairs dept. put out a 'don't go' alert so our trip go cancelled. Hey, I had a better chance of being injured in a ski trip to Whistler than being hurt in Israel but everyone told us we were crazy to go so at the last minute we bailed. <BR><BR>So what I'm saying here is that if you want to play it perfectly safe - stay home - but then again, you know what they say about most accidents.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:38 PM

We are leaving from Boston March 12 for our annual Eurpoean skiing holiday, this year in Cervinia, Italy. We have not, and will not, consider changing our plans. We won't be worrying about it, either. Do not allow your dreams to be stolen from you.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Like I've said before. Don't let your fears ruin your life. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Go and enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM

We will be leaving on a trip on March 23.<BR><BR>The sad thing about the world today is that we will be having this same type of post one year from now and probably from here on out. I just refuse to let the terriorists shut down my life and declare victory over the cowardly Americans. That is exactly what they want. Don't let em win!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM

I completely understand your reservations. We were in the worst case scenario...stuck in Japan during 9/11 while our three small children were in the U.S. with their grandparents. It was certainly frightening...I think I was more afraid of what would happen to them than me. But I tell you this because even during that horrible week, our flight was only delayed by three days, which I consider amazing. Go, enjoy your trip, and be confident that the airlines will get you home.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Thank you to everyone for your concern and thoughtful replies. <BR><BR>Kristyn, you hit the nail on the head for me. I am not particularly worried about flying or about being in France. What I am truly concerned about is leaving my children at home and not being here for them should they need us. I am much more worried about terrorism occuring in the US than being the victim of terrorism in France.<BR><BR>In some ways I would feel much better if they were younger and in the direct care of their grandparents. But, being the ages they are, my sons will be home caring for each other, with their closest relatives, a great aunt and uncle, an hour and a half away. The rest of my family lives 24 hours away.<BR><BR>Fortunately, I have a few good friends each of whom lives 10-15 minutes away. That makes me feel a bit better. <BR><BR>Again, Kristyn, thanks for the reassurance. At least I can hope that our flights will not be delayed for long, if at all.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:54 PM

I just cancelled my reservations for Spain yesterday. I was to leave this coming Thursday for slightly over two weeks abroad. I had fully expected to be out of pocket the full cost of the airline ticket and a prepaid-deposit that I had made at a hotel because I did cancel on short notice (less than 10 days). Delta Airlines has agreed to give me a MCO for the full cost of my airline ticket, which had heavy restrictions on it. They have made this offer to all passengers traveling abroad between March and May. <BR><BR>The owner of the hotel that I was to stay at in Madrid offered to return my deposit to me even though I was cancelling after the date required in my confirmation. This was highly unexpected, but he has been extremely kind to me. He understands my concerns and he even contacted the other hotels I had reservations with the double check that my reservations had been cancelled. It is not that I am afraid to be in Spain or anywhere in Europe (except for possibly London because of the UK's support of the US), but I am uncomfortable flying right now. I'm a timid flyer even on a good day, and the threat of war just increases my anxiety. Possibly this is because I would be flying in and out of Boston and JFK to Spain on an American carrier.<BR><BR>I was very lucky, because I am not out of pocket any money, but that is purely coincidental, because I fully expected to be out of pocket close to $1000, and I was willing to forfeit all of the money just for my own selfish reasons, that I feel that I am safer at home than abroad.<BR><BR>I think that you have to do what you feel most comfortable with. We can always postpone vacations and be away when there are less stressful times.<BR><BR>But, for anyone that is going abroad in the coming weeks, I give you credit for going forth with your plans. You have more guts than I do, and I will live vicariously through your travels until I feel comfortable making new travel arrangements.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I would still go - like others have said, there has never been a good or safe time to travel. Hubby &amp; I will going to the UK in June for 1 month - this is my &quot;dream trip&quot; and many of the family will going to UK in the same time frame due to a wedding in Scotland (like about 25 to 30 people from the States!) So there is no way I will be posponing - very likely the crowds will be down somewhat due to the political propeganda(?) that will scare many travelers. This is just MHO.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Although it is a personal decision, it is one that is shared by most of us. I too had the same concern and angst about my travel plans for this next week to London. Thanks to most of the replies, I realized that life goes on. Ironically, this statementcomes from a man whose wife has metastatic breast cancer; a &quot;terrorist&quot; in our lives everyday. I suppose it took hearing from others for me to decide to go forward. My suggestion? Trust simply trust your gut feelings and remember that along with the terror, sadness and disgust there is also beauty, wonder and love. Good luck.<BR>epb
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:38 PM

I am so relieved to see so many people going abroad during this time: after all, we all need reassurance and peace of mind (that's why I keep looking for posts like these...). We're scheduled to leave on March 23 for two wonderful weeks in Italy. The tickets were cheap and we bought them in January, when many thought that all this war talk is just another empty threat. Anyway,we are still going! It's my graduation present after all! I figure if everyone kept flying during the first Gulf War, what's the reason to cancel now? <BR>Good luck to all,<BR>Katie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -