Reload this Page >

Should we stay near Victoria Station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Marty

Help! I got a good airfare, so I am taking my nephew and two neices (ages 12-14) and, perhaps a sister-in-law to London in March. I have been several times, but we are very budget conscious this time. I have done many searches on this board for hotels. My question is, if we arrive on the Gatwick Express, would we do better to stay near Victoria Station so we can quickly get to our hotel after traveling all night? I am not very familiar with that area, since I stayed in the Bayswater area. I have read about the Dover Hotel whick looks fine, but I got burned on my first trip to London booking over the internet. The place I was booked was <BR>horrible, and I had booked for two other couples also! Needless, to say, I spent the first day looking for us another place. Help me!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Patrick

Actually, I think I'd like the Victoria area better than the Bayswater area. Your point is fine about the arrival but even better for departure as you can check your luggage in right at Victoria (on some airlines). The area is not only fine and lively, but near the Ebury area which I like, and very easy for tube travel to anywhere. Can't help you with the Dover Hotel or any others specifically. Sorry.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Sue

We walked by the Quality Hotel Eccleston Westminster and it seemed quite nice. It is very close to Victoria Station. You can find it at www.choicehotels.com. We did not go in however. Rates for March seem to be 108 GBP for a double; I think you could get a cot maybe for the third person? This may be over your budget, but hotels are high in London.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Marty

This helps. The Quality Inn is a little more than I want to pay, but I have looked at some others in the area. We are traveling British Air, and we can check in at Victoria Station which is a big help.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 03:34 PM
bella

we stayed there and found it very convenient and felt safe even though it is not the most beautiful part of london...it is close to Buckinham palace. We stayed vey cheaply in a place owned by franciscan nuns..not catholics but it was not church oriented and there are several floors devoted to accommodation..kids allowed. we were dubious but it was fine,clean, nofrills, nonbudget breaking accommodation very close to the station and bus station and surrounded by very similar looking small hotels and b&b's which probably cost a lot more. Reply here if you want more info.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Betty J.

The Quality Hotel on Eccleston Sq is an average place with mostly small rooms & tiny bathrooms. If you decide to stay there, look at the room first. Location is good; 2 blocks to the station & a safe area.Breakfast was not included when I stayed there & the price in their restaurant was extremely high.Since it's a Choice Hotel, at least when you make reservations they'll be honored. <BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Marty

Bella: Information, please, on the place run by Fransican nun. Did it mean that it Was or Was Not church oriented?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:50 PM
elvira

I'm bringing this to the top for the info on the accommodations mentioned by bella re the Franciscan nuns.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 07:04 AM
David White

Marty,<BR><BR>Victoria is a more central area than Bayswater...for example, you can even walk to Buckingham Palace from there (a long walk, but not impossible). Hotels around Victoria rail station vary greatly...some good, but some pretty dumpy. As you learned from your past experience, be sure to do lots of research on a hotel and try to find reviews of it from several sources. One such source is the Automobile Assocation's accomodations database:<BR><BR> http://www.theaa.co.uk<BR><BR>One possiblity if you are looking for a lower cost hotel is the Travel Inn County Hall. It has modern hotel rooms (with some family rooms) for about £70 per night. That rate is a relative bargain in central London. This Travel Inn is right across the Thames from Parliament--a great location and not TOO far from Victoria station. For info:<BR><BR> http://www.travelinn.co.uk<BR><BR>You will face a challenge finding accomodations that will fit your group of 4 or 5 people. The few family rooms that I've seen in London accomodated only 4 people; if you have 5 you will need two rooms. (Hope this doesn't mean your sister-in-law gets bumped off the trip!)<BR><BR>For more info on travel to London with kids, feel free to look at my website:<BR><BR> http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>David White<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Debbie

Marty, <BR> I too was burned by the B&amp;B I chose for my trip to London a few years ago. (avoid Harcourt house). <BR> My Mother had previously stayed at the REUBEN, and found it to be quite nice - it is a hotel not a B&amp;B , but only a few blocks from Victoria Station. <BR><BR>I found being near Victoria Station to be VERY convienent! We purchased the London Visitor pass, and were able to ride the buses &amp; tube the whole time without needing to buy indiv. tickets. It made it very easy. Being near Victoria Station also encouraged us to use the buses more - the main bus terminal is at V.S. and you can get just about anywhere. I don't care for buses here in the states, but was very impressed with how easy it was to use them in London. <BR><BR>Debbie

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 09:43 AM
scott

Was in London for Thanksgiving and stayed at The Melita House on Charlwood which is just off Belgrave in Victoria. It is halfway between Victoria and Pimlico Tube stops. You can walk to the hotel from either. I paid 60 Pounds for a single but they did have doubles and I think one room for four. Rooms are small but extremely well maintained. Staff is very friendly and accomodating. Full English breakfast included with room. Not many Americans around. Mostly people in London on business. I highly recommend you look into it.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Marty

Well, my plans have changed since the beginning of this thread. I am probably looking for a double or a triple now! I had just about settled on the Harcourt House. It sounds good in Frommer's $85 a Day book, and the website looks good. Debbie, please tell me what I missed!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Lee

to the top, for information from Bella please.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Mark

Marty, <BR> <BR>Might try Grange Rochester Hotel on Vincent Square. It's about a ten minute walk from Victoria Station. The hotel was comfortable and well kept. Not overly fancy, but we liked it. They do have triple rooms, although I am not certain if they have rooms for more than three. Check their website at www.grangehotels.co.uk. We booked the hotel through www.hotel-assist.com, and were able to get some pretty reasonable rated. Just getting the english breakfast included was a real money saver for us, as we had six on our party! We paid 99 GBP per night per room. In addition, the Rochester is within easy walking distance of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. which we found to be very helpful. We would stay there again. <BR> <BR>Safe journeys!

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 03:57 AM
bella

To those who have been waiting for info I'm sorry, I've been on hols. <BR> <BR>Franciscan Sisters of the Heart of Jesus <BR>9 - 11 St George's Drive <BR>London SW1V4DJ <BR>Phone: 0011(this could be code from Australia!) 441718345356 <BR> <BR>The accomm is run by the church but is not "churchy" in itself....we are not catholic and were never asked anyway...no curfew, bells, imposed prayers or mass etc <BR>Several floors devoted to ordinary travellers accomm to finance charitable provision of family accommodation to European people who had family members in their London hospital. Rooms basic and spotless without being spartan...share bathrooms no problem...breakfasts on the ordinary side. Good if you want a handy position because you will be out sightseeing most of the time and want to come home to a safe clean budget room. Cost us 18 pounds a night 4 years ago (July) Doesn't look like the stereotypical convent...facade almost identical to the other houses and B&B's in the street. Good travels everyone.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 11:19 AM
Lee

Thanks very much Bella. <BR>Hope you had a good holiday.