Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I stay in Athens after a cruise of the Greek Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of taking a tour that begins in Istanbul and then hops around the Greek Islands. I've never taken a cruise and worry I won't get to enjoy the nightlife on the islands. The tour ends in Athens. I was thinking I could stay longer there and get some Greek culture. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Hi

Definitely. There is much to see in Athens. Allow at least 2-3 days.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Hi Jane, I was lucky enough to stay on Santorini a few years ago with a view of the calderra and of the cruise ships in the harbour. The cruise passengers all flooded the island during the day but vanished back to the ships by about 5pm, so I think you are right that you won't get to enjoy the nightlife on the islands.

Definitely stay in Athens for a few days, there is plenty to see; obviously an interest in history plays a major part in how interesting you will find it. The little churches are gorgeous, the Plaka is interesting to wander around and of course there is the Acropolis to wander around for a few hours at least.

We stayed at a hotel called 'Fresh Hotel' which has a VERY funky rooftop bar and pool with views directly to the Acropolis.

From what I've read, Athens has a fabulous nightlife. We were so exhausted each night that we had dinner and collapsed, but you sound younger

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Cathies,

Thank you! I'm going to check out the Fresh Hotel. It sounds perfect.

I'm bummed about the cruise thing. We'll see...
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Forgot to tell you, when we stayed at Fresh Hotel in 2006 they also had a free internet room with 3 or 4 terminals set up. Fresh fruit also available at the reception desk which I think is a great idea. Ask for a room at the back - no view to speak of, but it's really quiet. It's not the most glamorous part of Athens but it's a really cute boutique hotel in the centre of Athens.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM

We spent three nights in Athens prior to taking a cruise last fall. We rented a great little penthouse apartment - we weren't in the center of the city, but we had no problem using the public rail back and forth. Depending on what your budget is, and what you are looking for in the experience, that could be a possibility. We had two bedrooms and a bath and a half, living room and kitchen ... for way less than the cost of a three-star hotel.

We really liked shopping in the local grocery store for our morning coffee and cereal/yogurt. And having a kitchen saved us enough money on incidentals that we were able to splurge on some great evenings out on the town.

There's plenty to see and do in Athens - have fun!
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Jane, I think you will enjoy two or three days in Athens to see the museums and archaeological sights. If you enjoy shopping you will really enjoy Athens. If I was traveling alone, I would not stay at the Fresh Hotel and walk back alone at night. I was a bit uncomfortable by myself with the off hours activities in that area. I stayed at Hotel Attalos about 3 blocks down Athinas Street and never felt uncomfortable while coming and going at different times of the day. Have a great trip!
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your messages! Thank you all so much. It's all very helpful. Jane
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Have you already booked. Why dont you take a tour instead of a cruise. We did this last year. Spent a few days in Athens, then went by high speed ferry to Mykonos for 6 nights and then to Santorini for 5 then ferried back to Athens. We were able to explore on our own most days or if we chose we could do group day trips. It was by far the best holiday weve had and we absolutely fell in love especially with Mykonos.
If you do the cruise thing Im sure you will like it but
you dont get so much to experience the local flavor as the cruise has an atmosphere all its own and you can only take in so much.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

That sounds so much better, really. I like nightlife so much and have never really wanted to go on a cruise, but my friend and I found this singles travel company and they offered this vacation. What did you go on, or did you plan it yourself? Thanks, Jane
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Janey If I were in my 20s again and single, a cruise (even with other singles) is the LAST thing I would do! You totally rule out the possibilities for meeting new people, and doing things on the spur of the moment! PLUS, as others point out, a cruise is a SEA VOYAGE, with BRIEF stops at ports.

YOu can totally plan it yourself, if you are willing to spend some time on the internet doing research, looking at a map, being realistic about how much you can cover in the time you have, and fixing a budget you can afford and planning accordingly.

When are you hoping to go (EXACTLY), and for how many days, and how much can you afford to spend aside from your round-trip fare to Athens?

Another option you should check on RIGHT AWAY is EasyCruise. THis may be ideal for you 2.

This is not a traditional cruise.It does not stress shipboard life, and is low cost for basics (you pay for everything you get on board...and do not pay for things you don't want). AND it does stress nightlife. The boat gets u to an island by 10 am or so, and does not leave the island until midnight or 3 am. So you have a full day to sun, sightsee, and all evening to party! It tends to attract young singles and more adventurous people and you can hook up with them to do things onshore.

I would "google" easy cruise, look at their website for the options during the time u want to go .. and then (importantly) check the TripAdvisor reviews of Easy Cruise, also Cruise Critics. But act now, since it's already May. Good luck!
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
cd

irecommend
I respectively ask what the heck did you do on Mykonos for 6 nights? And as beautiful as Santorini is, what did you do for 5 nights? A day on each island was enought for me, what have I missed?
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM

If you were there and still need to ask then words won't help.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not been to the islands (except for a day trip to Aegina) but I have been in Athens and I loved it. Since you are interested in Greek culture and nightlife, it is a place you would definitely want to spend some time.

I enjoyed hearing rembetika music at the Stoa Athanaton, in the building that houses the central meat market. A Greek woman I sat next to on the plane told me I should go there but plan to stay until 6 AM. I said that was impossible. She said to stay until 3 AM or there would be no point in going at all. My daughter and I made it to 2 AM and were the first to leave. A fascinating experience.

There are lots of lively looking clubs in the Psirri neighborhood, which is near Monastiraki and behind the Attalos Hotel, where we stayed. It was exceptionally convenient to lots of interesting areas. I would stay there again, but the hotel is not particularly upscale, if that is important to you. People were helpful and location was perfect.

The best and most inexpensive street food I've ever had was the gyros available for something like two euros from a place outside the Monastiraki metro station.

There is a lot of information at the website www.greektravel.com. An American who loves Greece and Athens has put together a great resource there.

Old May 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
cd

brotherleelove
My bad, I thought this was a travel TALK forum. I asked a serious question, your answer doesn't sound too loving to me.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM

It's OK, I forgive you.
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your messages. It's so helpful and I'm getting excited.
The easy cruise sounds really cool and I checked their website. I'll get on tipadvisors, to see what they say, as you suggested. I do want to hop around the islands, but isn't nightlife the most fun? I'm not in my twenties! Turning 35 and just love restaurants and music and can't wait to see what Greece has to offer.
Thanks so much,
Jane