Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I pack CDs or cassettes for rented car trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Sally B

My husband and I will be driving around Switzerland this summer in a Ford Mondeo from Hertz. We really like to play music while we drive, and radio reception in Switzerland is a problem because of the terrain. Should I expect a CD player or cassette player in a Mondeo?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Kathy

I think the best person to ask would be someone at the Hertz location in Switzerland.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Rex

Reasonable to expect a cassette player, yes. And if you have a discman or similar CD player, you can use one of theose cassette-looking adapters with no problems to play CD's through the car's speakers.<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:42 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Rental cars are generally the newest and cheapest cars available.<BR><BR>I guess that no one supplies cars with cassettes today ?<BR><BR>Swiss radio reception is OK .......... they even relay the signal through tunnels. What r u looking to listen too ?<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Christina

I haven't rented in Switzerland, but the last cheap car I rented in Europe from Europcar had a CD player (a small Alfa Romeo). I don't think they put cassette players in cars, any more, do they?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
ttt

rewinding<BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:06 PM
trav

Last spring we rented a mini-van from Europcar in Zurich (airport), and it had a cassette. We tried to ask ahead of time, and no one from Europcar could say for sure if it would be a cassette or a CD player. So, we brought some of each along. At least they're light and don't take up much space!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:36 PM
can't win

On my last several trips both here (US) and in Europe -- if I packed tapes, the car had a CD player; if I packed CDs, guess what . . . so best advice would be to pick a few favorites in each format and, if you're lucky enough to have a cd player in the car, buy a few more wherever you're shopping -- new music makes a great souvenir, especially since it enables you to remember where you were when you first listened to it!