Reload this Page >

Should I move to Bucharest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Jen

I am a recent college grad who has been offered an opportunity to live and work in Bucharest for the next six months. I definately plan on taking the opportuity to live in Central/Eastern Europe but I don't know if Bucharest would be the best place to have this once in a lifetime experience. Of those who have been to Bucharest/lived in Bucharest, would you suggest that I take the experience? If not, what other cities would you suggest I look into living/working?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Sjoerd

I have been to Bucharest about 10 times (for work) in the last year and spent a total of about two months there. It is definitely NOT the nicest city in Central/Eastern Europe. Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Gdansk, are much nicer, but also less "special". Bucharest is rather grey and I found it a bit depressing on many days. But the people are wonderful and very hospitable. Perhaps you can live in a smaller city in Romania such as Sibiu or Timisoara?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Barb

It can get brutally cold in winter so be prepared. The economy is still in the dumps. I found a lot of cool little places to go. Not as many expats as in Budapest, Prague and Warsaw. I think its worth the time but realize at times you might get very frustrated and you need to be prepared for not having the conveniences of home. It also helps tremendously if you speak the language. There is some good skiing about 5 hours away by car.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Pierre

Go for it, I use to live in Bucharest and I would do it again if I get the call. Bucharest is big, crowded chaotic and dirty. However, the people are great, friendly and willing to be your friend and expect nothing in retune. As a westerner you will be frustrated into beginning, the modern conveniences are not available everywhere, is really cold in the winter and hot in the summer, transportation is not reliable and corruption is still in fashion.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Marc David Miller

Take a look at the Thorn Tree on <BR><BR>www.lonelyplanet.com<BR><BR>There are many more postings about Rumania on that board than here--you might find some expats as well.<BR><BR>Also, I think<BR><BR>www.inyourpocket.com<BR><BR>covers Rumania.