Should I Join a Tour ???

Old May 18th, 1999, 03:01 PM
winnie

Should I Join a Tour ???

Hi, <BR>I am Winnie from Taiwan. Going to Europe has been my dream since childhood. After having working for 7-8 years, finally I have saved enough money & spared 1 month to fullfill my dream in this summer. <BR>But my troubles come : I am female,alone, asian <BR>Here is my plan: Taking a " company tour ''( ie, rick stevens, contiki, insight tour ) to europe, meeting friends, practicing english, then exploring U.K by railpass. <BR>I will be much much appreciated if any one can provide TOUR suggestions ,good or bad experiences to me. <BR>Or Whether I should take the " Tour" or not? Any special things I should pay attention to? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Winnie <BR> <BR>

Old May 18th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Buddie

Winnie: Of course, much depends on you. My husband and I visited London (4 days alone) and then joined a tour in Ireland. We LOVED the tour!! It is SOOO easy and we felt very safe and not so anxious. You will be ok either way I am sure. Just have fun and you are to be admired!! <BR>

Old May 18th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Buddie

Winnie: Of course, much depends on you. My husband and I visited London (4 days alone) and then joined a tour in Ireland. We LOVED the tour!! It is SOOO easy and we felt very safe and not so anxious. You will be ok either way I am sure. Just have fun and you are to be admired!! <BR>

Old May 18th, 1999, 04:07 PM
Christina

I don't suppose it's easy to tell someone else what is right for them, but I had a couple of thoughts on reading your post. I've mainly traveled independently, but I have taken a couple tours when I was younger and hadn't traveled much, and one was to a place that is better by tour (Egypt) because it's so difficult alone, especially for a female. Anyway, I am a little concerned that this trip is such a big thing to you that it could be a disappointment if something goes wrong. I mean, saving up money for 8 years and then planning a months' tour when you've never done that before could be very difficult. Whatever you do (tour or alone), you could regret it after a week or two and have spent a lot of money. If I were you, I would scale back my first trip to only two weeks and see how it goes. Now, I don't know air fare costs from Taiwan to Europe, so maybe that's the issue--air is so expensive you don't want to spend it that often. But, any way you count it, spending one month in Europe is going to be extremely expensive for hotels and food (and lost wages, perhaps), so I would plan less if possible for your first trip. I think a group tour could be a good idea, I enjoyed the ones I was on very much, but I selected them very critically. I selected ones with a good amount of free time and that stayed in major cities a minimum of three days. Also, I chose moderate/budget prices, but not rock bottom, because I figured these moderately-priced tours would be more likely to attract a wide variety of people I might like and want to do things with in my age group; the more expensive tours tend to attract older, wealthier retireess, I think. I was in my 30s, so I've got nothing against them (I'll be there myself some day and then probably enjoy it), but I didn't want an entire tour of people 30-40 years older than me. I chose a firm with a good reputation that had been in business a long time (TWA Getaway Tours). And, I was right on all counts--everything went as planned and advertised and there was a wide variety of ages and types of people on the tour. Also, the tour group was fairly small, which was important to me (maybe 2 dozen). For a first-time traveler, I thought this was a great idea--I had free time when I wanted, but things that are difficult or just new were sort of planned for you so you could learn for the next time. Also, with that many people, there was always someone around I could have dinner with or do something with if I chose to, but I was not forced to. On a tour, there are bound to be a couple of people you like doing things with, even though you won't like everyone. Oh, another thing, I chose tours with a minimum of included meals because I wanted to eat in local restaurants. So, it helped ease loneliness and made the trip much more enjoyable. Part of the fun of traveling is not only experiencing new things, but having somebody to talk them over with, also. Anyway, it's hard to say for you because we can't know how traveled you are, how adaptable, how used to handling things on your own, etc., which is a help) which makes a big difference. I mean I literally know adults over the age of 40 who cannot be trusted to go on a 200 mile car trip because they can't read maps, etc. Anyway, I've given you a few things to think about and look for -- size of group, amount of time in each place, whether meals are included, age range of avg. participants, etc., reputation of firm and how long they've been in business, as well as general value for the dollar -- just take the total land cost and usually divide by the number of advertised days on tour MINUS two to see cost per day (check it out but most brochures try to make tours sound longer by including days which are entirely devoted to plane travel--anyway, divide by number of real days). I used to look for tours where the land cost was $80 a day or less, which included all local transporation, hotels and some meals and little extras, plus local expert guides. I thought that was a good deal because buying hotels on my own would likely cost at least $75 a day--of course this was a while ago, so prices have gone up--now I'd probably look for one that cost about $125 a day or less. I think Rick Steves' might be fun, but I believe they are rather expensive, even though you have to share a room.

Old May 19th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Lou

I've been on tours and done trips independently. Both have advantages. If you travel on your own, you can decide where you want to go, for how long, and what you will see. A tour can offer a lot of benefits also. All transportation is taken care of, as well as hotels, and sightseeing scheduled. You don't have to worry about parking the car, or getting from the train station to the sight, or wondering when the opening times are. The tour can be a good value, as so much is included. I would probably say a tour would be a good idea for your first trip, and since you're traveling alone. Start searching brochures until you find a tour that goes to see the sights you are interested in. My caution would be to read the itinerary VERY closely. (When it says you will "see" a sight, it means you drive past it. If it says you will "visit" a sight, you will actually go in.) A lot of people are disappointed in tours because THEY didn't read the itinerary closely. We have always met fun people on the tours we've been on. And it is nice not to have to hassle with your bags, or other details. Just sit back and relax. Another advantage of tours, is that the guides we have had on all tours are VERY knowledgable and we learned a lot about what we saw. Rick Steves tours are good, but they are expensive, considering you might stay in a hotel with bathrooms down the hall, or have to share a "dorm" room, and carry your own bags. But, they are small groups, and do more walking and picnicing, and I'm sure have very entertaining guides. I would stay with a mid price range tour company (Globus, Trafalgar, Insight, etc.) rather than a budget one (Cosmos, etc.) because you will get better hotel locations and more sights included. And don't use a tour that spends only one night in each city, or you will be spending all your time packing and unpacking, and on the bus. A tour can be very enjoyable IF you understand what you are getting.

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:26 AM
elaine

Hi winnie <BR>If you do a Search in this forum on "tour" you will find previous postings with pros and cons about tours in general, a few comments on some specific tour companies perhaps. And the advice right here in answer to your question is very good. <BR>I would second the opinion that you read any brochures very carefully and then call the company up or fax them and ask more questions. <BR>On a tour you will probably get an excellent overview, a "taste" or more of each place, but you may find that you don't have time to really explore someplace or some site that you've always wanted to see. For example, if you've always dreamed of seeing Venice and your tour arrives in Venice on one afternoon and departs the following morning, you may find that disappointing. So ask a lot of questions about how much time you'll really have in each place, and then also factor in unexpected delays that can further interfere with your time. Delays can occur on independent travel as well as on tours. Find out if the days you will be in particular cities are congruent with the museum schedules of those cities. If you want to visit the Louvre, you don't want your one day in Paris to be a Tuesday, when the Louvre is closed. <BR>Best of luck. <BR>

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:27 AM
elaine

Hi winnie <BR>If you do a Search in this forum on "tour" you will find previous postings with pros and cons about tours in general, a few comments on some specific tour companies perhaps. And the advice right here in answer to your question is very good. <BR>I would second the opinion that you read any brochures very carefully and then call the company up or fax them and ask more questions. <BR>On a tour you will probably get an excellent overview, a "taste" or more of each place, but you may find that you don't have time to really explore someplace or some site that you've always wanted to see. For example, if you've always dreamed of seeing Venice and your tour arrives in Venice on one afternoon and departs the following morning, you may find that disappointing. So ask a lot of questions about how much time you'll really have in each place, and then also factor in unexpected delays that can further interfere with your time. Delays can occur on independent travel as well as on tours. Find out if the days you will be in particular cities are congruent with the museum schedules of those cities. If you want to visit the Louvre, you don't want your one day in Paris to be a Tuesday, or some holiday,when the Louvre is closed. <BR>Best of luck. <BR>

Old May 19th, 1999, 09:27 AM
elaine

Hi winnie <BR>If you do a Search in this forum on "tour" you will find previous postings with pros and cons about tours in general, a few comments on some specific tour companies perhaps. And the advice right here in answer to your question is very good. <BR>I would second the opinion that you read any brochures very carefully and then call the company up or fax them and ask more questions. <BR>On a tour you will probably get an excellent overview, a "taste" or more of each place, but you may find that you don't have time to really explore someplace or some site that you've always wanted to see. For example, if you've always dreamed of seeing Venice and your tour arrives in Venice on one afternoon and departs the following morning, you may find that disappointing. So ask a lot of questions about how much time you'll really have in each place, and then also factor in unexpected delays that can further interfere with your time. Delays can occur on independent travel as well as on tours. Find out if the days you will be in particular cities are congruent with the museum schedules of those cities. If you want to visit the Louvre, you don't want your one day in Paris to be a Tuesday, or some holiday,when the Louvre is closed. By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about your English, it's excellent. <BR>Best of luck. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Adina

Winnie - if your English is good, and you are an independent, confident person - don't get stuck with a tour. They go only as fast as the slowest person so you never see as much as you might otherwise see on your own. I have traveled in Europe (and many other places) on my own and find that I meet many people, have more wonderful experiences, and see more of exactly what I want to see, than I would have with a tour. Final comment, there are MANY single day bus tours that leave from London (Green Bus Lines, etc.). They can be fun, and you won't be tied down with the same people for a week (or whatever). HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Old May 26th, 1999, 08:28 PM
Donna

Depending upon how many countries and places you plan to visit, my vote would be for a tour. Spending a month in Europe in several or more countries requires a huge amount of research and planning. By booking with a tour, you are assured of lodging, many meals, luggage handling, and getting from place to place. While this may cost more than going on your own, the tour companies are well organized, take you to the most popular sights and attractions, and provide excellent commentary along the way. You'll make many friends and the tour directors preclude the need to worry about local languages. Since summer in Europe starts next month, I can't imagine being ready to tour Europe on your own for a month so soon. My recommendation would be to collect tour catalogs from a travel agent right away and peruse them for a tour that really appeals to you. While there are many disadvantages of going with a tour (set itinerary, little "free" time, times you will feel "rushed" other times "bored", nearly everything is planned and handled for you and the overall cost is known ahead of time. Beyond the cost of the tour, you'll need only money for shopping and meals not included. If you were thinking of going summer 2000 and are of the independent and adventurous sort, I would recommend planning a trip on your own. Even so, this is a HUGE project to plan!

Old May 30th, 1999, 02:07 PM
p.jones

Hi, Winnie. Go for the tour. I think that you will have a great time even going as a single. I have done both tours and independent travel and am now back to the over 50 (age)crowd educational tours. All of the advise given in the previous postings is very good. Some things I will add are: You will probably pay a "single supplement" unless the tour you choose gives you the option to share a room, thus saving the extra cost of a single room which can be very small and of course, lonely, but also private. Don't be afraid to get to know others on your tour. Maybe your tour guide can point out other singles who might want company. You sort of have to feel your way. I've never traveled alone, but I can empathize. Most people on tours are very friendly. You'll know which ones right away. I know that my hubby and I often sort of took singles "along with us" from the tour, because we felt they wanted company. <BR>Can't stress the advise about reading and understanding the itinerary's importance. Maybe you've heard of a film called "If this is Tuesday, it must be Belgium" ? about a couple who took a whirlwind tour, one country a day, so to speak. You don't want that. My worst memories of our first tour were that even though most of the cities we visited were for more than one night, we spent a lot of time on a bus, and it was hard to stay awake. You don't want that. This is what you get with a "grand tour", even for a month. I'd pick a tour that goes to a few of the countries you want to see the most. These will spend more time in the cities you visit. Also, you might consider a tour that has a theme, like music or art or some other such interest. But the main thing is that is goes where you want to go and takes you to what you want to see and does the beset job for a good price, not necessarily the cheapest. If you're going to make this your dream trip, do your homework first. Ask questions and make a mini-calendar of any tour that you like to see what it really is made up of, days in one place, meals, etc., free time. This may seem complicated, but it is really very helpful in seeing how the tour really works. Bon Voyage!

Old May 30th, 1999, 03:41 PM
Bob Brown

I think some of "both" -- tours and doing it on your on. My suggestion is this: pick out your major objectives. <BR>Then investigate short tours and see if they help reach your objectives. <BR>I once took a tour via bus out of London that got me to Salisbury for the cathedral, Stonehenge, Bath, and a couple of minor attractions and back to London quite nicely in one day. I could not have done it any better because the bus provided the connections and the parking close in. I would not go totally with a package tour for the whole trip unless it was taking me exactly where I wanted to go. <BR>

Old May 31st, 1999, 05:29 AM
Caryn

Winnie: You didn't mention how old you are. You mentioned Contiki tours and since they are for 18-35, I'm going to assume you are young (no offense to anyone older than that). I agree with Adina and Bob Brown. GO ALONE! While you can meet a lot of fun and interesting people on a tour, the negatives for me out-weigh the postives. You don't get to see anything in depth, they whisk you from one sight to another and then one country to another so you don't have a chance to really learn something about it. If you are up for it and plan to stay in youth hostels, you will never be lonely. There are so many people to meet from ALL OVER the world, many of them also traveling alone. You might even meet a friend to travel from place to place together for a little while. This is very common for single travellers. As Bob Brown said, you can always take day tours. In my opinion, these are better because they focus on just a handful of things, specifically what you chose to be interested in. I also think you should take your one month and travel the whole time. I see no reason to split the time up. Tons of other people do it, why shouldn't you? Being female and alone should not be a problem. Many travelers are female and alone. As for being Asian, I don't know from first hand experience, but I can tell you there are tons of Asian travellers (especially Japanese, including women on their own) and you shouldn't stand out very much. I wouldn't let that stop me. You can do plenty of research on your own. Start with getting a Let's Go Europe book for young, budget travellers. Don't worry, you will have a great time!