Krems ferry dock and town

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am coming from Vienna to do the Melk, Durnstein, Krems, Vienna day trip.

Would like to leave Melk around noon. I think I can do by bus and get to Durnstein around 1:30pm and leave Durnstein BY FERRY to Krems at 3:05pm.

That is the concern: am I correct that the ferry dock is very far from Krems. I keep reading ferry dock is very far from train station, so is that the same thing as very far from town. Then I would take the train from Krems back to Vienna around 5 or 6pm.

Advice please.
Old May 8th, 2017, 12:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
I have previously taken the ferry to Krems, and walked from the pier to the Krems station - I think it was about 2kms and took 20 minutes. However, there is a periodic WL1 bus that runs from Dursntein to Melk - lookup the OBB site using Dürnstein/Wachau Parkplatz Ost >> Krems/Donau Bahnhof (Bahnhofplatz West).
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Perfect. Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:16 PM

I looked at my trip report from a few years ago, and the train station was a bit away from the ferry dock. In case it helps:
"Got off the ship in Krems and eschewed the tram, which in retrospect we wouldn't recommend, as finding the train station (over a mile away, high-tailing it) was difficult. So if you do this, either take the little tram, or plan on hustling. If you do walk, you just go to the right, under the bridge and past a little park, and the station will be on your right, set back from the road. You haven't missed it, you just haven't walked far enough. “

We had opted to take the train from Vienna to Melk in the morning: "We took the subway to the Westbanhof train station and bought the Combi tickets from OEBB there for $150.00 for both of us. The train goes to Melk, then you walk up the hill to the abbey (and this is one pretty big hill - the tour buses parked up at the top).”

You’re welcome to read my TA, if it helps (search under my name).