cruising Wachau valley

Sep 15th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

cruising Wachau valley

I am hoping to take the train from Vienna to Melk and start the downstream cruise to Durnstein. From my research it looks like I start the cruise at the Danube Station 11 which is a 14 minute walk from the train station. Is there an easier way to get to the dock?

The 11:00AM boat leaving Melk arrives in Durnstein at 12:30. From here I start to get confused... It appears difficult to get to the Dunstein train station to return to Vienna. Any suggestions?

Else, I will continue by boat from Durnstein to Krems docking at Danube 25. Again, googlemaps tells me I must walk (20 minutes) to the Krems/Donau Bahnhof to get back to Vienna, with no bus available. That seems strange as I would imagine this is a very popular trip.

Any advice or suggestions?

As always, thanks for your help.
Sep 15th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Buses run direct from Durnstein to Krems center for trains to Vienna - easier way to dock - well not by foot - taxi I guess but take time in Durnstein - have lunch - visit the ruined castle where Richard-the-Lion-Hearted was once held for ransom nabbed returning from some Crusade I guess - buses leve right from Durnstein town center.
Sep 15th, 2018, 09:04 AM

First, when are you traveling? Some of the Danube cruises end in October for the season and that may affect the schedules you are looking at, but if you know your travel dates folks on the forum can provide more specific information.

There is no train station in Durnstein. There is a bus to the Krems Bahnhof, though it is not from the "town center" as that is a pedestrian-only zone. Either Brandner or DDSG will have schedules you can look at. ÖBB, the Austrian State Railway also has combination tickets that might work for you with departures from Vienna.

I hope this is helpful.
Sep 15th, 2018, 09:32 AM

How about getting from abbey to ships besides walking?
Sep 15th, 2018, 09:42 AM

I just did that this past July. The 11 boat from Melk. From the train station in Melk to the boat dock was about 15 minutes (we were actually staying two nights in Melk, be sure to at least walk down the main street even though the quickest route from train station to boat dock might be a minute or two faster.). Are you planning to see the Abbey?

We took the boat all the way to Krems. From the boat dock in Krems to the train/bus station (right next to each other) seemed to be close to a half hour. We detoured to Stein, a section of Krems north of the center but without that it would probably have been about half an hour walk.

We took the bus between Krems and Durnstein. It's about a five minute walk from where the bus stops to either the boat dock or the center of town. The only problem might be finding the bus stop in Durnstein - it's just a sign by the side of the road. In our cases we got off the bus from Krems in Durnstein, so we knew where to go to get the next bus back to Melk. But I'm sure you could ask someone.

Are you staying in Vienna and doing this as a day trip. If that's the case you would take the train from Vienna to Melk, see the town and Abbey and then go to the boat dock. Then get off at Durnstein, visit the town and get a bus to Krems which is right next to the train station for the trip back to Vienna. Although a short visit to Krems center would be worthwhile.

Unless you have mobility issues all of this is easy walking except up to the Abbey in Melk and up to the castle in Durnstein.

Last edited by isabel; Sep 15th, 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Sep 15th, 2018, 11:52 AM

Great detail from isabel! And you can buy an all-inclusive ticket I believe in Vienna train station that covers train to Melk, boat and train back from Krems. Do get off in Durnstein and take bus to Krems - tell that to ticket window guy.

Search this Thread