Should I book accomodations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be heading to Europe for three weeks at the end of April and first two weeks in May. The first part of our trip will involve a 12 day car trip through Germany from Munich to Fussen to Innsbruck to Lucerne to Baden-Banden and back to Munich. Our hope is to stop in smaller towns along the way rather than stay in the cities.

Now, I don't want to book the accommodation in advance to give us flexibility in our itinerary. How hard will it be for us to find a place to stay on the fly and will I have to pay a premium to do this? Also, will I be spending an inordinate amount of time just looking for a place to stay?

Can anyone share their experiences?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First time? If not, have you ever stayed at a gasthaus or pension, as opposed to a hotel? Would you?

Easy to do either on the fly. If you're Type A, and need to have everything planned in advance, then do so. I'm Type B+, never have had even a close call booking as we go. Don't even have to do any web research in advance where you're going. I prefer to, simply so I can discover the super-charming places as opposed to just places.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Except for the week immediately before and after May 15, you need not make advance reservations. If you find a town you like, go to the tourist information office and they will help you find the type of accomodations you are looking for. Someone in these offices usually speaks English.

May 15 and 16 are the Pentecost holidays in the Catholic states and countries in Europe, which include Bavaria, Austria etc. These are official holidays and popular travel days for Europeans, especially on the north-south corridors. Europeans use these weeks to get their first taste of Spring. Schools are usually closed for one or two weeks.

For this period, you may wish to call ahead to the tourist information office of a place you are likely to stay to get them to arrange lodgings. I find that the Red Michelin Guides have a listing of the tourist office call numbers and addresses of every town and village that is listed in the Guide.

You don't even need the latest edition of the guide, an older (cheaper, or library copy)will do.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:09 AM

we did a road trip to germany in march. we booked the first night and the last night and winged it in between with a good guide book. we found no problems. if you are driving get a good road map-do not use one that comes with the guide books. they are not accurate
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi realtorseena,
Could you tell me what guide and series of maps you used? Also, is there anything to watch out for as I will be a first-time driver in Europe.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I did a similar trip last May, with no reservations except the first and last days. Worked out fine and I actually enjoyed talking to the various hotel proprietors and figuring out where to stay. It never took very long and people were friendly and usually spoke English well. And the prices at the small, non-website-operating homespun type places can be great bargains. Several times when I stopped in a town to look at a map or check out the tourist office, someone would approach me and when they realized I don't speak German, they would put their hands together on the side of the head and lean into them, like they were sleeping. If you stay with them you should be prepared to pay in cash.

I think people underestimate the difference between driving in the states (if that is where you are coming from) and driving in Europe. The big expressways are all alike, but secondary roads can be challenging to navigate. I used the Michelin Bayern map, #546. I like paper maps because I can refold them to show just the area I am traversing at the time. German road signs are pretty good, but you still need to keep an eye on the villages as you pass to make sure you're on the right track. People say "Oh, you'll get lost and find such interesting places". Perhaps, but bring a lot of patience because whenever I got lost I just ended up driving past field after field of farm land. But it all works out in the end.

If your screen name is indicative of your habits, you'll find the windows in Bavarian buildings invariably open top to bottom or, if you prefer, right to left. Hard to explain, but you'll see.