Search

Shorts?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 1999, 08:22 AM
Shari

Shorts?

I know that shorts in the churches and many museums in Italy are a no-no, but will I look out of place while shopping, etc.? We're spending two weeks in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. I've packed skirts and pants but can I throw in a pair of midthigh khaki shorts? Will I scream "American tourist"?

Old May 28th, 1999, 09:28 AM
joe

Shari, <BR>Good question. I too am traveling to Italy next month and have the same question. I'll look forward to seeing the answers.

Old May 28th, 1999, 09:36 AM
Spanky

You will scream "American!" and/or "German!" which were the only two foreigners we saw in Italy wearing shorts during our trip a few weeks ago. However, no one seems to mind what anyone else is wearing, but you should be mindful that Italians are very chic and classy dressers and I didn't see any of the men or women wearing shorts of any kind. Black, white, tan and neutral colors are worn, very well I might add, by the women. And a scarf knotted around the neck adds to the panache. <BR> <BR>You can wear your khaki shorts if you are going to be out of the larger cities. We hiked in the hills of Tuscany while we were in Italy in May, and we wore our khakis, both long and short because it got quite warm. Just be mindful that you will look out of place because only tourists wear shorts.

Old May 28th, 1999, 09:38 AM
cheryl

I'm just back from Florence and Venice and can report that I saw almost no shorts in either city. I don't know what it will be like in a month. However, if you want to wear them for sightseeing during the day you'll probably be fine. I would just stick to longer shorts, or maybe the kind that sort of look like a skirt. I would also avoid wearing sneakers with them, maybe sandals? No one is ever going to take you for anything other than a tourist, no matter what you wear, so maybe the goal should be to look presentable while still being comfortable.

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:26 AM
KAY

I WAS WONDERING WHAT BENEFITS WOULD COME MY WAY BY" NOT" LOOKING LIKE A TOURIST?? BEING FROM WEST TEXAS ..AS SOON AS I OPEN MY MOUTH AND SPEAK "THEY" WILL KNOW THAT ITALY ISN'T MY HOME... <BR>

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Monica Richards

I agree with the poster that said you are going to look like a tourist no matter what! When I went to Italy three years ago, I brought skorts, one pair of denim shorts and long skirts. I wore the long skirts when I was going to be visiting the sights, but wore shorts on the travel days and when we went to Pompeii and the Foro Romano and any place where it was dirty and we were going to be doing a lot of walking. Just plan on looking pulled together and you will be fine. Also, bring your most comfortable pair of walking shoes, even if they are bulky athletic shoes! I tried to look like a local by only bringing nice looking shoes and sandals, and we did so much walking (I mean SO MUCH) that my feet were a mess. Blisters on the bottom of my feet caused just from being on them too much. And I looked like a tourist anyhow! So bring the ugly american shoes.

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:39 AM
cherie

Boy, I hope this isn't an ambush, but here goes. I NEVER TRAVEL WITH SHORTS because I think I am treated better in restaurants and sightseeing places in general without them. I have legs that belong on a piano anyway and am happy to camouflage them behind a skirt or slacks. My husband is the type who wears ties in museums and we generally look like professionals. I think if you look like you can afford the meal or item the locals at the other end prefer to deal with you in a gentle manner. I live in shorts (with my ugly legs) at home, at the market, etc. Not abroad. Its in my head, I know, but it works for me.

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:48 AM
Laura

I just returned from Italy. We brought shorts and wore them in Venice, where there were alot of people in shorts. We did not wear them in Rome because we heard some churches did not allow you to visit if wearing them and we did not want to miss anything. We also wore shorts in Florence and Tuscany. As for shoes, it amazed me to see women climbing the stairs to the cupola at St. Peter's and the Bell Tower in heeled dress shoes. I wore my sneakers for things like that and was very happy about it. <BR>We felt as soon as we opened our mouths it was obvious we were tourists so we might as well be comfortable.

Old May 28th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Chad

I was in Florence, Venice, and Rome during late July last year. It was 90 degrees every day I was there. My travelling partner and I are both in our early 20's and we both wore shorts every day. I would've been absolutely miserable in pants and I was spending way too much money on this trip to sacrifice comfort just to "fit in." On this trip, we stayed away from the churches and museums and did most of the outdoor touristy stuff so we didn't really see the need to be wearing pants. However, we did dress up a bit (pants for me, long skirt for her) when we went to dinner because that was certainly what was appropriate. <BR> <BR>I am the type of person who is VERY conscious of "sticking out like a sore thumb." I did not feel AT ALL out of place wearing shorts in Venice, Florence, and Rome. <BR>

Old May 28th, 1999, 11:26 AM
Pete

In my opinion, although it is your trip, but it is their homes, so i think you should not make yourself so obvious that you are a tourist, although everybody knows that you are. That is why i support that you should not wear shorts, especially in Rome and Milan.

Old May 28th, 1999, 11:41 AM
John

I believe that the prevailing attittude in Europe concerning dress is that shorts, sneakers, tank tops, t-shirts and other leisure wear is only appropriate at the beach. However, you wouldn't be the first or last tourist they have seen wearing shorts.

Old May 28th, 1999, 02:22 PM
Cinda

Capri pants have made the scene once again just in time - should take the place of pants and eliminate shorts and throw in a long black dress! My husband and son are going for comfort and opting for their Nikes,however, we intend to do all the "pants necessary" places in one day. I'm striving for the light-weight bag and no hassle! I agree with McDaniel- we will soon be labeled "tourist from west Texas" as soon as we ask our first question anyway!

Old May 28th, 1999, 02:31 PM
anna

Another Tacky Tourist thread?

Old May 28th, 1999, 03:02 PM
doug

oh brother these are great replys. shari go for comfort. YOU ARE A TOURIST. for example i have seen many hindu moeslim (sp) in this country wearing their traditional dress. so what they are from another country does it matter? as long as you dress "with taste" no usa or what ever t-shirts etc. you will be okay. i dress for comfort with a conservative approach. by the way i don't wear shorts in u.s. i don't like the beach.i just returned from two weeks in ireland, guess what everyone was wearing? jeans!!!! i wore dark pants, as sound as i opened my mouth guess what what was the reply? where in the states are you from. relax and enjoy your trip , no matter what you wear.

Old May 28th, 1999, 03:27 PM
Walter

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. Most of these post's are usually by Americans reguarding shorts and sneakers. Besides visiting churches, do you really think Europeans are insulted by you wearing shorts/sneakers? If they are, that is their problem. Before you flame me, think about this. How about the other cultures that visit Europe (Muslum, African, Indian, Asia, etc.) should they also change their clothes to conform with European styles? If I as an American said on a NG that a visitor or an immigrant in the US should dress a certain way as not to offend *me* they would have to start an alt.flame.walter NG. As I said I'm just playing the devil's advocate and being a realist, I just wonder what kind of service Mohammed/Jesus/Gandhi would have received in the US/Europe). <BR>Regards, Walter p.s. I never wear shorts or sneakers abroad. <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 06:02 AM
cheryl

Shari--being a 'first-time' traveler to Europe--in reading the wise advice in this forum and in guides--I too was struck by the quandry--shorts or no shorts. Couple of questions-- <BR> <BR>1) Are you traveling with a man or another woman? Since I am traveling alone for the first part of my trip-Rome and Florence--I nixed the idea of shorts to avoid standing out and to also make the most of my time seeing sites which really require that the legs be covered. <BR>I will wear shorts when hiking in Tuscany and with a group. <BR>2) Are you the type of person who feels uncomfortable if you feel underdressed or just not similarly dressed as those around you? Myself, I prefer to be comfortable and similarly dressed--not to stand out. <BR> <BR>The main issue I think, as everyone has commented here, is to respect the country's culture while insuring comfort. So if sneakers are your most comfortable shoes--go with 'em--your feet will thank you. As for shorts, its up to you <BR> <BR>As Walter so aptly commented, Europeans will not be insulted by shorts and sneakers, its the behavior of the traveler, American or otherwise, that insults. <BR> <BR>Above all have a great trip!

Old May 29th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Shari

To summarize what I've learned: <BR> <BR>I can wear my shorts with a respectable non-logo shirt and my european sandals as long as I'm an outgoing devil-may-care kind of person. <BR> <BR>If I wear a skirt or pants, I should still mind my manners so as not to give all American tourists (and midwesterners especially) a bad rap. <BR> <BR>I'll probably throw in a pair of tan shorts, to go with my black and tan color coordinated skirts, tops, and pants, just in case I'm feeling daring. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your insights! This is the most opinionated group of people I know!

Old May 29th, 1999, 07:02 AM
s.fowler

My solution, given my age [and legs] are those two piece rayon or silk [sometimes crinkled] tops and bottoms sets with elastic waists, both shorts and long pants. [I'm not obese, but I am a *short* size 14] Toss on a light-weight black blazer and you're both comfortable and reasonably chic. [I like *loose* for both comfort and ease of movement.] While some say "dry clean only", I've found most survive both hand laundering and the gentle cycle in the dryer! I wear these at home in any case, so I don't have a special travel wardrobe. [Or maybe my "travel" wardrobe has become my regular one] <BR> <BR>We *could* get into a long discussion on the connection of saris versus shorts to their various cultures and traditions... but let's not

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 01:33 AM
Karen

I'm an American living/working in Europe and just returned from a weekend in Rome. While it was quite warm there, I wouldn't have considered wearing shorts (and I wear them all summer long back in the States). I saw many people refused entry into the Vatican for having less than modest clothing on (i.e., shorts). And shorts may look out of place in some restaurants in the evening. <BR> <BR>My weekend wardrobe is usually khaki pants, a nice cotton shirt, and a comfortable pair of Doc Martins - they beat sneakers any day of the week. Since I'm a woman traveling mostly by myself, I find it's always better to fit in. The last thing I want to worry about is being harrassed for wearing what some may consider revealing clothing.

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 12:04 AM
Jaypdee

I wore shorts when I visited Rome. In my carry on bag, I had a light jogging pants (Nike) and put in on before I entered the Basilica and took them off as I exited. I did this throughout Europe whenever I saw signs that prohibited shorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -