Short Tuscan Visit - North or South?

May 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Short Tuscan Visit - North or South?

Hey Folks
Hey Folks,

My son and I are going to spend couple of days in Tuscany and I am looking for a relatively small village. Having read other threads with similar request, I am now convinced that, as much as Siena is a lovely place, it's not what I like to do in this short trip. Last year, we passed by Volterra and I just absolutely loved it - The picture of the rolling hills was out of this world and compelled me to buy a cheap Tuscan painting later in Rome, as it reminded me of that view. I have looked at other threads and they seem to mostly talk about the southern part of Tuscany, Montepulciano, San Quirico,etc., which of course sounds great but I am wondering if anyone can compare these with Volterra and northern villages. One of my guide books is also recommending Sovana- has anyone been there? Any suggestions? Thanks
May 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Forget Sovana---too isolated.
My favorite hill towns are:
Montalcinio
Montepulciano
Pienza
Volterra
San Gim.

The first 3 are all close and make a terrific 2 days.
May 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Safa,

Exactly what Bob says! 2 days around the Montepulciano area is wonderful (of course 3 would be better). Add a visit to Sant'Antimo and Monte Oliveto Abbeys, very different but lovely.

Buon viaggio!
May 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I think we'll stay in Montepulciano - I just hope it is not too touristy, as one post was suggesting. I am looking for a rather quiet Tuscan village.
May 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM

I agree with Bob about the towns. Montepulciano is less touristy than Volterra, at least when I was there.
However San Quirico is even smaller, but does not have the tourist shops etc. Great restaurant (TRATTORIA "AL VECCHIO FORNO") as many posters on this forum have recommended. We stayed in San Quirico a few weeks ago. One thing it doesn't have is the hilltop view that the other towns have.

My granddaughter's comment about the countryside around Bob's first 3 towns was it was "blinding green"!
May 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM

We just got back from a week's stay in San Quirico d'Orcia. It was, hands down, our favorite town and is a little off the tourist route. Great location to other southern tuscany towns. Hightly recommended.
May 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I would recommend San Gimignano.
May 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM

We loved San Quirico! On Bob the Navigator's recommendation, we stayed at the Palazzo del Capitano, which was great. The town is completely un-touristy and set in beautiful countryside. From there we visited Pienza, Montalcino, and Montepulciano. We visited Volterra and really liked it, but southern Tuscany is much more beautiful countryside.