Short Trip to Italy

Search

Short Trip to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Trip to Italy

I've been reading everyone's helpful and insightful reviews and suggestions and plan to scour them more but in the meantime, I'm looking for some thoughts on an itinerary. We were planning to fly into Milan (seems to be the least expensive) and then wanted to see 2 or 3 other cities in just 7 days. Opinions of Venice, Naples, Rome or Forence as must-sees would be of great help to me. Any must-see/eat suggestions for each city would be excellent! We're headed there for mid October for our 10th Anniversary. Leaving the babies and work behind. Love to walk the streets, shop, sit at cafes, take pictures and have nice dinners. We don't speak any Italian and while we love new experiences aren't overly "adventurous" when it comes to roughing it or being terribly "authentic" if that makes sense. Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM
cmt

If this is a first trip and you're flying into Milan and you have only seven days, I suggest limiting yourself to Florence and Venice.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM

For 7 days I would stick to northern Italy. 3 days in Venice, 2 days in Bologna with a day trip to Ravenna, and maybe a couple of days on Lake Como.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Mid-Oct? Why are you so far behind the power curve? Have you even bought tickets yet?

You can "walk the streets, shop, sit at cafes, take pictures and have nice dinners" in any of the cities you mentioned. Howver, they are spread all over the map. Do not try to do 3 of those cities in 7 days.

Picking Milan just to save a little airfare money might be penny wise and pound foolish if it causes you to send more on RT train tickets to get to whatever destination you eventually chose.

One option: Explore flying in and out of Rome and seeing it plus a daytrip or two.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Given what you have said about your interests, I would not hesitate to recommend Venice and Rome: three days in one city, four in the other. Where you decide to stay longer depends on whether you prefer the magic of Venice or the vitality of Rome. I personally have always found Florence the least appealing of the "big three"; its principal allure is its wealth of art, but if art is not high on the list of your priorities, then you can -- and should; seven days is enough for two cities at most -- give Florence a miss. And save Naples for a later trip, after you have been somewhat "acclimatized" to Italy.

In mid-October, I would not recommend a resort town of any kind, whether on the sea or in the lake region.

Finally, I would strongly urge you to book an "open jaw" flight -- into Venice, out of Rome. The time that you save for actually enjoying your stay (as opposed to spending it traveling) is well worth the few extra dollars that it might cost you.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Two major cities in 7 days can be done, but it will be rushed and tiring once you factor in jetlag and travel between the two cities. An open jaw ticket makes a lot of sense if you decide to go for two cities instead of one city with daytrips. I hope one of thos 7 days is not your arrival day in Italy.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM

Topping for 6470First, who may not realize that the working (?) day is the most active time on the Fodors forum...
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM

I love Milan and think it is a perfect place for your first visit. It is a great city to "wander." i will look back in my journals and give you some restaurant tips. The italian autogrill chains has a wonderful spot right in the main square and is a good place for lunch..all served cafeteria style , but very, very good. If you haed off to somewhere like Lake Como..remember that many hotels close late Oct or beg of Nov.
When we started visiting Italy many years ago, I began my own restaurant dictionary..just alphabetized on a sheet of paper. Much easier and more useful than a dictionary...took the information from recipe books and websites. However, you will find italians very helpful.
I too think I would miss Florence, although I love it..but a little busy and harried for a 7 day trip. Venice would be my choice. Although I am probably much older than you, I have found I prefer to spend a few days in a city to really get the feel of it..rather than rush from place to place. Have a wonderful time and feel free to email me if I forget to send you restaurant tips.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 12:00 PM

I recommend 3 days in Venice, a travel day and 3 days in Florence. Not only are they my favorites but they are so lovely in October and will not require a great deal of strenuous traveling all over the place in the short time you have. The trains in Italy are marvelous.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would NOT recommend 3 cities in 7 days... When you say you want to do that, I kind suggest you are underestimating the reality and logistics of the plan.

The first day is lost to arriving and jet lag, the last day you need to be headed to the airport for going home, so now you've only got 5 days. Change cities 3 times and you've just "lost" another 1-1/2 days on the train (3 x 1/2 day). See how the math goes?

Attempting to do the above & you will be sitting on trains, checking in and out of hotels, in taxis, etc. Leaving little time to shop, walk the streets, and sit in cafes!!

I would reconsider using Milan just to save a few bucks. The "open jaws" like into Venice and out of Rome would be ideal and often tickets are not much more expensive.

If you must go in and out of Milan, I would suggest immediately take the train to Venice (~3 hours) stay a few days, then go to Florence stay a few days and return to Milan only for your flight home.