Short trip to Edinburgh from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in London from May 19 - 28 and would like to take a side trip to Edinburgh by train and stay overnight. Can I get a good overview of the city in a days time? Thanks for any help.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM

You'll need two nights at a minimum in Edinburgh because the train ride takes up most of the day; one day up, overnight, one day back--not much time for sightseeing.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM

unless you go by sleeper.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM

I agree with Michael...it's a long train ride indeed. You might be better off flying with such a limited time frame. Easyjet (www.easyjet.com) flies from London Gatwick, Luton and Stansted to Edinburgh, and BMI does from Heathrow.

Edinburgh is a great city though (one of my favorite in Europe), so if you can get up there, you should. The castle is great, the people are great, the pubs are great. It just depends on where your interests lay.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Leave London at 11:30 on the sleeper and arrive in Edinburgh early in the AM. You could explore all day long and 1) take an evening train back to London arriving late at night, 2) take another sleeper train back to London arriving the next morning, 3) stay over and go back to London the next morning

-- or 4) fly one or both ways.

Edinburgh is a fabulous place - but you really can see quite a bit of it in one (very) full day.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
didn't see kyliebaby's post. The main reason I listed flying as the 4th option is because it is much more hassle and is really no faster. By the time one travels out to the airport and checks in, they'd already be half way to Edinburgh on the train.

Main advantage to flying is it can be cheaper if one books far enough ahead to get the really discounted fares
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM

Big bunch of party poopers above. Take the early train, 6:15 getting in around 11:15. That leaves you most of the day and after spending the night you have nrarly the whole day
to explore. Take a late train back to London.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM

As you may have gathered, it depends on when your trains leave and arrive. I do think you can see the highlights of Edinburgh in a full day, though ideally I'd give it a day and a half.

I wouldn't fly - by the time you factor in getting to and from the airports and going through security both ways, it's no faster and more hassle. Trains take you from city center to city center.
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM

I think rogeruktm idea is a good one,the only thing i would say is to avoid travelling by train on a sunday,this is the day they do mantinence work on lines an signals and often there are re-rotes or dealys.
The train takes you right into the heart of the city and generally is quicker overall than flying.
http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/index.html
this wesite will give you lots of ides of what to seee and do.
The Heineken cup Final (Rugby) is being held in the city on the 23rd,so if travelling on that day you might find trains and planes pretty busy.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM

Can't see the point of going to Stansted to get a flight with Easyjet - at the cheapest you are going to add some £30 to the cost of the ticket, you won't get to Edinburgh any quicker and unless you enjoy being humiliated at check-in / security / gate / luggage collection it isn't much fun either.

In any case you can get quite decent fares from London City Airport which is a much more civilised airport.

BUT I'd still get the train - assuming it's going to be a direct train and the travel time is about 4h30m. If it isn't then it's likely there's someone digging up the tracks somewhere.

As others have pointed out the FirstScotRail Caledonian Sleeper train is an option and Bargain Berth fares start at £19 each way. You arrive in Edinburgh by 7:00am and leave at nearly midnight - there's even a shower at Edinburgh station if you need to freshen up
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM

Although travelling a much shorter distance (from Glasgow lol) my only trips to Edinburgh have been short but v sweet... the first time was a sunday last year and we arrived at Waverley station about lunchtime, jumped on one of the hop on hop off tour buses. They're v handy across the road from the station and gave a good insight, history & introduction to the city. We got off at the Royal Mile for a wander, went to the Marys Kings Close attraction (v good!) finished the bus tour & got off at George Street, had cocktails at Hard Rock then an early dinner at Le Monde Hotel (delish) and got the train home about 7pm. Felt like we saw and did loads in such a short space of time.

Our second trip was in March and we arrived on a Saturday afternoon, went for a wander, had an early dinner then did the City of the Dead graveyard tour at 9pm (recommended!)then drinks and back to the hotel (Royal Terrace). The next day we walked over to the Castle and spent a good few hours there doing the audo tour... it was a lovely day and the views were amazing. Then went up Calton hill which was right behind our hotel (also recommended - it was a sunday afternoon and so much was going on up there, lovely view of the city)then had lunch and were back in Glasgow early evening.

As you can see we were hardly stressing ourselves on either visits but Edinburgh is very small and compact so you can taylor your what you want to see based on how much time you have Its a really gorgeous atmospheric city, enjoy your trip!

Carole
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM

I agree with Roger. Get on the earliest train you can, get there, look around, sleep there, look around some more, then get a later afternoon train back.
www.nationalexpresseast.com is the place to look for tickets. Have a look at the first class options - you can get a bargain sometimes.
Don't just turn up at the station unless you have some kind of Britrail pass - you'll faint at the prices.
www.scotrail.co.uk also will help you if you want to get a sleeper train. Some tickets are only £19!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM

* www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com