Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris accommodations/ apartment / hotel - which area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
if I want to take my son to see the ET, Louvre, ND
Which area is best to reside in during our 6 nights stay?

Does anyone know of any suite accommodations where there is a separate bedroom (we snore and he is a light sleeper). In the US we usually rent a one bedroom suite with a separate living room and sofa bed or bed, or a 2 bedroom suite for long stays.
Does Paris have something like this .. or am I better off renting an apartment...
pros for hotel are that I'm thinking the concierge could help us with tour planning.. but not sure.
and with apartment you never know what you'll get with a personal owner?
we will be going to Paris last week of August.
If we could be in a place that is not too old / musty, clean and safe and close to attractions above it would be great, as my son injured his foot and can't walk a lot.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 02:22 PM

The majority of short-term apartment rentals in Paris are illegal. Look at aparthotels like Citadines.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 05:06 PM

I agree with St. Cirq, you'll want a suite in hotel or an apart'hotel like the Citidines. You don't want the hassles of an apartment.

Any area in central Paris will work for you. You'll want to be close to a Metro stop, or if your son is really having problems walking, a bus stop.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow I had no idea, there are so many apartments for rent. St.Cirq -- thanks a million for the website --- Soooo helpful. Any specific area you recommend to stay in while wanting to visit the above sites. It would be very nice if we could be able to walk down stairs and be close to a bunch of restaurants, shops, pharmacy, grocery.... something that is not too out of the way.
I'm pretty sure we will have to uber or take a taxi to most things with my son, so I don't have to be close to a subway or a bus.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 08:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Wow I had no idea, there are so many apartments for rent. St.Cirq -- <<

Some (relatively very few) are legal. Check the listing to see if the city registration number is provided. The vast majority do not have this # but if one does, it will be legit. But with the option of Citadines and other aparthotels, there is no real need to risk it. Plus they will have elevators and a/c which quite a few apartments won't have.

>>Any specific area you recommend to stay in while wanting to visit the above sites. It would be very nice if we could be able to walk down stairs and be close to a bunch of restaurants, shops, pharmacy, grocery....<<

Just about anyplace in central or even central-ish Paris will have all those things. But if you want to be really central (which will also reduce your taxi/uber costs) look in the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th arrondissements
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 09:14 PM

Hi Lilly2016,

I strongly recommend you start to research the Paris bus lines.... they run everywhere, and there are bus stops everywhere. It is far easier to just hop onto a bus than to walk downstairs and then walk miles (sometimes) to use the metro.

After you have found your hotel or apartment hotel, find a map of the bus lines and see which ones run nearby (or ask your hotel which lines run by and where the bus stops are). Then see which lines run out to the sights you want to see. You may occasionally have to transfer bus lines, but believe me, it's far easier to do that than to change metro lines underground (again, could be lots of walking).

Yes, you could take a taxi or uber.... but to my mind, that's a waste of money in most cases.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Below is my Left Bank hotel thread. The Right Bank thread is linked to the Left Bank thread.

Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Swanday2000 -- yes but as I mentioned, my 11 year old son has a severe foot injury and I don't think the bus / metro will be doable for him. Thank you though.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Janisj- Thank you for the info, and we Def need a good working AC we live in Buffalo (very cold) and can't sleep well in hot climates. lol