Short Layover in Copenhagen Airport?

Old May 9th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Layover in Copenhagen Airport?

Hi all,

I have a short layover in Copenhagen Airport on my return to America that I'm worried about. It's all booked on one ticket with SAS airlines and the itinerary goes Bergen - Copenhagen - Chicago with only 45 minutes to transfer in CPH. Is that enough time? Both SAS airlines and the airport say it is but I'm not sure. Wouldn't I need to go through passport control before going back to America (I'm a US Citizen so I don't think I can use the automated machines either)? How long does that take? Any other concerns that I'm not thinking of? If you had the opportunity to change the layover to one of 4 hours would you take it?

Thank you for your advice!
Old May 10th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Any input? Thank you!
Old May 10th, 2022, 03:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You will stay airside and won't need to go through Danish Immigration or customs. You'll get both boarding passes at Bergen.
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:56 PM

You will go through passport control as you are leaving Schengen in Copenhagen. Norway is part of Schengen so you won't go through passport control there. You will stay airside though. You will also go through security again. Have a look at the website of the airport. Generally they are very helpful for such things.
If SAS say it's a legal connection then it's on them if it doesn't work out.
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:10 AM

As long as you can do online check in for both of the flights and have your boarding passes and you have thru checked your luggage (if you have any), you will stay airside in Copenhagen airport when you arrive from Bergen and you will go thru passport control to get to your gate which is usually C or D for non Schengen departures. There is self service passport control but you can't use them as a US citizen. There is no security to go through airside in Copenhagen airport for arrivals within the EU.

45mins is the MCT for your trip as its on SAS, I would not take the 4hr connection, CPH is pretty small airside so you & your luggage should make it unless there is a delay.
Old May 11th, 2022, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2
You will go through passport control as you are leaving Schengen in Copenhagen. Norway is part of Schengen so you won't go through passport control there. You will stay airside though. You will also go through security again. Have a look at the website of the airport. Generally they are very helpful for such things.
If SAS say it's a legal connection then it's on them if it doesn't work out.

OOPS just saw my error -- heti is correct. I know very well that you go through immigration and have no idea why I linked Customs and Immigration in my post. Must have been multitasking - and not doing either thing very well You will be able to stay airside.
Old May 12th, 2022, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the information! This is very helpful. It seems like passport control is the main thing I would have to go through. Any estimates on how long this usually takes? Do you all have any personal experience at this airport with passport control?

Old May 15th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Any updates on my last question above? Thank you again for all your help!
Old May 16th, 2022, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by sadclown
Thank you so much for all the information! This is very helpful. It seems like passport control is the main thing I would have to go through. Any estimates on how long this usually takes? Do you all have any personal experience at this airport with passport control?
I pass through Copenhagen airport quite frequently, 5/6 times so far this year and I usually travel between Schengen & Non Schengen and vv. I have never encountered a delay in passing through passport control, straight thru usually. I've never seen a line. But that doesn't mean much if you have a long line on your travel date. And my destination is different to yours. The longest lines IME are going thru security from the check in area which does not affect you and lines at the gate sometimes.

Old May 16th, 2022, 06:27 AM

Take a second to admire the mermaids gracing the airport: