Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Shopping-Romantic Road, Bavaria, Salzburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

We leave next week for a trip along the Romantic Road, and to Bavaria and Salzburg, and unlike with other destinations, I've not seen a list of "what to buy" on this forum. For London, Paris and Rome, there are the lists of lotions, potions and notions, but nothing of the kind for this itinerary. Can anyone share their favorites? Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good guide book on Germany will be one of your best sources for this information. Personally, being a sort of art collector, I found that the RR towns particularly have nice little art shops with some good prints of old scenes and a few originals.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Beer, pork and pretzels - that will cover it.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I agree with Wayne. We have found some lovely prints of Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuehl, etc., on our trips.

Textiles are particularly nice in some of these towns, but beware of cheaply made articles. Lots of nice ceramics as well as Christmas ornaments.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Oh, forgot to add that we have seen some amazing wood carvings in Germany and Austria. I especially remember a very nice shop in Berchtesgaden.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We always endeavor to bring home a print or two when we travel, and we're hoping to find Nativity wood carvings, too. My husband's got the beer and pretzels covered! I was thinking more about cosmetic items, like soaps or lotions or pretty-smelling souvenirs. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM

sorry, i can't help you with the soap and lotion stuff, but you should watch for wineries or wine stores. franconia wine is one of germany's favorite wines. it is bottled in flat and round bottles known as "bocksbeutel" (sounds like box-boy-dell). as for the soaps and pretty-smelling gifts, i could imagine local gift shops might sell stuff like that.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Really good chocolates at beautiful chocolate shops.
Tons of wooden items--anything from wooden spoons to trivets, wall hangings and of course cuckoo clocks.
I bought really cute Pinnochio figures for kids. They had strings attached to move their legs and hands.
And of course, the best mustards in the world.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM

I was blown away by the cost of wooden nativity figures in a shop in Vienna, but they were beautifully hand-carved, very plain. I very much wanted a donkey but that's another story. Anyway, I think you can find them in all price ranges.

In Salzburg there are one or two shops that sell traditional Austrian clothing--the Loden jackets as well as fine linen and cotton shirts and blouses are excellent quality and correspondingly high prices. If Augarten has a store in Salzburg, their porcelain is beautiful.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Go to an Aldi store and buy yourself a bottle of Dusch Das hand soap. Awesome stuff. It gets almost any dirt you can think of off your hands and they smell great afterwords. Nice inexpensive item to bring home and remind you of Europe.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Sorry I can't think of any specific cosmetic item - but some names to look out for are the chain Parfumerie Douglas, where they sell cosmetics and perfume, and cosmetic / perfume houses like Jil Sander and Joop. I don't think there was anything I longed for that I couldn't get at home. Nivea obviously has a more extensive line in Germany than abroad. I also found German Drogerien (not Apotheken) sell those little disposable impregnated towelettes to clean your spectacles with (they don't sell them where I live and I found them fantastic, if environmentally unfriendly). Drogerien also sell small samples of various products they sell (sample size shampoo, creams,conditioners, etc), which can be hard to get in other countries. Germany also does a mean line in Christmas decorations, which in November / December can be found in Christmas markets and I believe there is also a shop open year round called Käthe Wohlfahrt. It is hideously expensive and can be found in very touristy towns such as Rüdesheim and Rothenburg, but the displays are really quite spectacular and you do want to buy when you go in! Not sure what else I would recommend. My friend buys gummy bears but I am not as addicted as she is.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, thank you; I've added them to my travel notes. Gummy bears and anything Kinder are already on the children's list, and I hadn't even thought of mustards. My fingers were crossed that Nivea products would be available, for I love two products that are not available here and have to rely on the kindness of traveling friends to bring me in between my travels. I like to wander in the pharmacies or drugstores when we travel, and it's nice to have a couple of brand names to check out. I'm a little concerned about the Christmas store in Rothenburg, and hope that they don't have the beautiful glass ornaments that my grandparents had on their tree because the temptation to buy them, I fear, will be overwhelming.