Reload this Page >

Shopping in Venice

Search

Shopping in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Barrie

Shopping in Venice

Hello -- I have one day in Venice alone, before my boyfriend joins me. I love to shop, and he hates it, so I thought I'd enjoy this activity alone. Any ideas on great places or areas to shop? In particular, I'd love to find some interesting gold jewelry, ceramics, or glassware. Thanks.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 07:43 PM
ralphie

Barrie--let me tell you about my favorite Venetian giftshop. It is, for the most part, off the beaten path, but very easy to reach. According to my receipt, it is called Capriccio di Bagarotto Cristina. However, I don't remember a flashy sign bearing this name. It is located in Dorsoduro. To reach it, go over the Accademia Bridge into Dorsoduro, then veer to the left, but follow in the same direction as you walked over the bridge. I believe it is on the first or second corner from the bridge. It is not a huge, touristy giftshop, but it has a good selection of glass-beaded bracelets, necklaces, glass lamps, etc. I found the selection and pricing slightly better than the stores on Murano! <BR> <BR>Since you have an entire day, you should also check out the kiosks and shops along the Rialto. Although this is a high-tourist area, you can find some good bargains if you shop around. <BR> <BR>Have fun!!!

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 04:19 AM
elaine

Barrie, re glass: <BR>Regarding glass-buying: <BR>While I was in Venice my concierge which told me that at 9am a free water taxi would take interested hotel guests to Murano, where the glass factories are. Thankfully, I had read about these arrangements. A particular glass factory arranges with a hotel to pick up interested guests by private boat. When the boat lands on Murano the passengers are offered a free tour of the sponsoring factory, after which they are encouraged to order some glass items. This is not necessarily a bad arrangement, but it means you don't get to shop around at the other factories unless you strike out on your own, which I did. <BR>It turns out that much of the glass sold in Murano and Venice proper is mass-produced, and not all of it is even made on Murano, some of it comes from the Czech republic and elsewhere. You end up seeing the same designs and little glass items in many stores. In my opinion the small souvenirs like 3" animals, fish,beads, and tiny bowls, though affordable, are overpriced for what they are, as are even some of the larger bowls and vases. Mostly they started to all look the same from shop to shop. Of course there were a couple of top-of-the line glass shops around San Marco, but their gorgeous pieces cost many hundreds or thousands of dollars each. <BR> <BR>Even on Murano, there are many glass stores that just sell souvenirs that may or may not be made there. On Murano, "authentic" glass is shown in factory showrooms. After strolling the length of Glass Street on Murano, I ended up at a factory showroom, where I ordered some drinking glasses, vases, and other items to be made for me. Manufacture and shipping took almost three months, I had to pay some additional Customs charges, but the items came precisely as ordered, and packed beautifully <BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Bob

There is a small shop called Max's that sells mostly handmade items. We purchased a very unique carving there in October. The ladies that work in the shop were very nice. It was on the street that the entrance to Harry's Bar is on. Just walk up that street from the ocean side and it will be on your right. Max is a dog and his picture is on the shopping bag. We found another place that sells replicas of the brass ornaments on gondolas. She was also nice. It is behind St Marks square.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Dona

Barrie, <BR> <BR>There's a wonderful costume jewelry store (hi end) called Astolfo Gloria on a very busy shopping street near San Marco called Frezzeria. Wonderful jewelry made out of venetian glass beads. From San Marco take calle largo 22 marzo to Frezzeria and make a right. This shop is a short way down on the left. <BR> <BR>I bought great venetian glasses on Murano in a factory called Gritti... <BR> <BR>Happy shopping... <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Carol

Near the Frezzeria, on the Merceria (through the doorway under the clocktower), there's a shop named "Righini" where I bought a beautiful hand-tooled leather handbag. The quality varies from item to item, so you have to examine them carefully. But there's great value to be found there.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Diane

I look for things that are small and lightweight as gifts. In Venice I bought some beautiful Venetian glass stick pins for about $10-$12 each that made wonderful Christmas gifts. There are lots of shops selling wonderful stationery. Although it was a concern carting it around, I couldn't leave Venice without a paper mache mask.