Reload this Page >

Need to choose only 1 day trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:55 AM
George Hsu

If you had time for ONLY ONE day trip from London - what would it be? I've scanned through many of the day trip folders already and am thoroughly confused. I would like to take one day trip (no longer than 2.5 hours by train each way) to somewhere beautiful, historic, and fairly walkable (something like Bath where I've been to already). This is my first time to England and have seen a lot of London already. So many choices. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE. Thanks. <BR> <BR>George

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Lori

You might consider York. It's 2 hours by very fast train (214 miles) from London's Kings Cross Station. You can make reservations ahead of time as well by contacting GNER (Great Northeastern Railway) - they have a website. When we went,this past April, I called & reserved Daypex fares, 26 pounds per person. Nice ride up, pretty countryside, very nice train, had a car where you could go buy sandwiches, etc. too. York is extremely historic, the train station is just a short walk from the Minster and old part of town. Unfortunately when we went it was jammed packed with tourists, but it was still very pleasant - we walked the ancient city walls as well and there were not many tourists doing that. For a bit of relaxation you can take a 1 hr. boat ride on the river as well - not particularly noteworthy other then a good way to end the day & rest your feet before heading for the train station (which was just up the street from where the boats left/returned from). Personally we prefer towns that are less touristy and we've taken some great trips to small places that no one seems to find ... but since you are looking for the historic I'd recommend York. Most of the "close" to London places will be very crowded, but if that does not bother you and you don't want to venture up to York there is always Cambridge, Oxford, Canterbury, Brighten, Salisbury, Winchester, etc. All have something different to offer and are within your 2.5 hour time limit. <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Mavis

How about train to Stratford, bus to Warwick, then matinee (play) and visit Shakespeare properties, pubs, antique stores in Stratford?

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 01:10 PM
kam

We visit friends in London quite often and keep ourselves busy during the day so they don't feel they need to entertain us by doing day trips, so we've done most of them. I think if I could choose only one it would be Canterbury although Rye is wonderful as well and I would suggest a lunch at Flushing Inn near the town hall for seafood--it's an old inn and very picturesque. The next one on our list for the next trip is Bury St. Edmunds for the history there.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 02:12 PM
geoff

I'm glad to hear York is getting fast rail service. If that's within George's parameters, then it beats all of the other places combined. I would say in the following order: York, Canterbury, Stratford (even though touristy), Warwick, and before either Oxford or Cambridge I would choose Windsor.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:40 PM
J.M.

George, I'm confused. Are you in London at this very moment? <BR> <BR>I'd recommend Warwick Castle. From London, it's about 3 1/2 hours by train. They are haveing their Medeival Fest through September, and on weekends they offer extra things such as jousting, etc. Check out the Warwick Castle website: <BR> <BR>http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/main...ml#attractions <BR> <BR>No matter where you decide to go, you can use the following website to calculate your travel times by inputting the starting point and destination. <BR> <BR>http://www.rail.co.uk/ukrail/planner/planner.htm <BR> <BR>Enjoy!!

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:42 PM
J.M.

OOPS! Excuse all the mispellings in my last message - haven't had my morning tea yet...

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:48 PM
J.M.

Now I KNOW I'm not awake!! I meant to type that London to Warwick only takes 1 1/2 hours by train. (not 3 1/2) <BR> <BR>Sorry about that!! <BR> <BR> <BR>UGGGGHH...I'm going back to bed now...

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 04:09 AM
elaine

George <BR>Windsor Castle or York

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 08:33 AM
David White

George, <BR> <BR>I agree with the choices listed by one post: <BR> <BR> Windsor OR York <BR> <BR>The advantage of Windsor is that the train ride is only about 35 minutes, versus the 2+ hours to York. Windsor is much smaller than York and you can easily see the highlights in one day. <BR> <BR>York is a terrific city, but you would be hard-pressed to see it all in one day (minus the 4+ hours on the train). <BR> <BR>Rye is a good, compact and historic place to visit for the day but, surprisingly, you'll spend almost 1 1/2 to 2+ hours on the train to get there from London. Similarly, Warwick is a nice town and first-rate castle, but the rail journey is about the same as to Rye. (for rail times see www.rail.co.uk). <BR> <BR>Tough decision...but you'll probablyenjoy any of these places. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>David White <BR>www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:22 AM
julie

QUESTION- if this is your first time to England how is it that you have already been to Bath and seen a lot of London???

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Bill Irving

My favorite day trip is Portsmouth, which is about 1 1/2hrs south of London. If you are interested in Maritime history this is the place to go. With the maritime museum, & being able to the The H.M.S.Victory - Lord Nelson's flagship, upon which he was killed, you can tour the H.M.S. Warrior, - which was the first metal hulled warship to be built. You can also see the remains of the HMS Mary Rose (Henry VIII ship) & how it is being preserved. The town itself is also worth a look. Another of my favorites is Cardiff & it's castle, although, even with the fast trains, it is pushing the 2.5 hr limit, but a visit to the city & castle is worth it (& also nearby Caerphilly castle).

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Deb

I agree with Windsor. If you only have time for one day-trip and you don't want to spend too long on the train--Windsor is great. <BR> <BR>P.S. I'm confused too - if this is your first time in England, how come you have been to Bath????? <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:24 PM
carol

I took several day trips from London last year: Windsor, Cantebury & Hampton Court. All were fantastic, but if I had to choose one (and that would be tough...I'd say head out early for Windsor and take the tour of the castle...it's fabulous, and then walk around town.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Diane

In May we took the train to Windsor and enjoyed several hours there, then took the train back to the spur (line for Windsor) and changed trains to go to Oxford. We still had several hours to wander around the colleges in Oxford before we took the train back to London. <BR>It made an enjoyable daytrip. BTW, I left a plastic shopping bag on a bench at the Oxford station containing an umbrella and two Snickers bars. Did anybody find it? If so, you have my permission to eat the Snickers bars. <BR> <BR>I also believe a day-trip to York is worth doing as long as you can get up there by ll a.m. or so. You can see quite a bit in 6-7 hours.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 11:56 PM
George Hsu

Just to clarify. I’m currently in London – have seen a lot of London. This is my first time in England and wish to see outside of London.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Mark

Hi George, <BR> <BR>I would go for York - less than 2 hours from London by train, lots to see and do in a beautiful and historic city. I would recommend the Minster and also the Crypt underneath it - also go up the tower if it is a clear day for great views of the city and surrounds. <BR>Have a lunch of Welsh Rarebit or Tea and Yorkshire fat rascals (large scones) at Bettys - expensive, but a good treat! Make sure you see Barley Hall (off Stonegate) and make time for a walk along the city walls - the best bit is from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, giving great views of the Minster. The Castle Museum is good too, and if you are into trains then you will enjoy the National railway museum. Also walk down the Shambles - a narrow medieval street near the market. St Marys Abbey and the museum gardens alongside the river are also very pretty. <BR>Hope this helps! My second choice, by the way would be Salisbury. <BR> <BR>Mark. <BR> <BR>Mark Southgate. <BR>www.OneClickTravel.com <BR>=======================