Reload this Page >

Shopping In London

Search

Shopping In London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:45 PM
M

Shopping In London

I'm going to London very soon with my Mother & we plan to hit the stores! <BR><BR>We will definitely go to Harrod's. I've been reading about Covent Garden, but have never been there. Are the little shops located here worth a look?<BR><BR>Also, what about beauty items? Any shops you loved? We plan to make it to Boots & Lush for sure.<BR><BR>As for purchasing Burberry in London -- do you find that it costs more in the UK or less?<BR><BR>Thanks for any info we can add to our plans!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Barb

The Body Shop is based in the UK, so products are really much, much cheaper there than here! A tip--go to a local mall before you go, make a list of your favorite products and the prices here, and then stock up while there. I could have kicked myself when I got home and found the mango body lotion I could have bought for $6 a bottle there is $12 here. Lush is great fun--I am hoarding one last bath bomb for a really bad day. Go to Sainsbury's (grocery store) for Cadbury Chocolate bars and drinking chocolate. Buy tea from Fortnum and Mason. As far as the shops in Covent Garden, we found that except for a few, (including Lush) they are very touristy.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:07 PM
John G

Farmacia Limited di Santa Maria Novella is at 117 Walton St, not too far a walk from Harrod's going down Sloane St. Go there just to see the fabulous woman who runs the shop. She would intimidate even Princess Margaret. Jo Malone is also on Sloane St and another shop on Walton St. I love her Lime Basil fragrances and her Grapefruit Shampoo, even though they cost more than cocaine. Everything in London is sooo much more expensive than even Manhattan. Those Gucci sandals you pick up will burn your fingers when you see the price. Don't go to Harvey Nic's unless you have a trust fund, or your heart medication. (I once saw a leather jacket in HN that was MARKED DOWN to 3,000 pounds.)<BR><BR>Yes, there are fabulous shops at Covent Garden. Paul Smith, Agnes B, Neal's Yard, and Koh Samui, among them.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:13 PM
mim taylor

and look for Penhaligan"s for scent and Voyageurs to break the bank for unique clothes.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:27 PM
kate

I have Penhaligons Lily of the Valley scent and it reminds me of spring in London everytime I wear it~<BR>shopping streets that were good to me-Kings Rd,Sloan St,Beauchamp St,Kensington High St.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:01 PM
John G

Mimi, darling, I think you mean Voyage. And I hear they are having financial difficulites. Soon to close??

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:55 PM
M

Thanks for the great responses! <BR>I've heard such amazing things about Lush. What are some favorite scents? <BR><BR>Also, has anyone purchased Burberry items in London & the US? I'm curious as to how Burberry is priced in London as opposed to the USA.<BR><BR>Has anyone been to the Beatrix Potter/Peter Rabbit store in Covent Garden?<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Betsy

I love the figs and leaves soap at Lush. Lucky you!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Patrick

The flat I rent in Covent Garden is on Floral Street, a very small semi-pedestrian-only cobblestone street that runs a couple of blocks from the Opera House to the West, coming out at Garrick Street. It is filled with some very upscale and trendy boutiques. Each year it seems to have taken another step upward. There is also what is supposed to be a very wonderful women's day spa on that section of the street, but the name totally escapes me for the minute.