Shopping in Dublin

Search

Shopping in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Dublin

Hello all Dublin experts!! 2 friends will be accompanying me to Ireland in October. We will be staying in Dublin for about 3 days before we head off to Roscommon to visit my mother. I've been to Dublin a few times and have shopped on Grafton Street but have always been short on time. My friends are big shoppers and I'd like for them to have a good time shopping.
What will they be shopping for? Mostly souviners, but also Irish Crafts, and crafty things (any stamp shops for stamping cards, etc?).
Any other areas/streets in addition to Grafton that would be fun to walk around?
Any help would be appreciated...
Thank you!
Shadow
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Carrolls on O'Connell St. has a pretty large assortment of Souvenirs; but you may want to wait and buy some things at the airport's 'Duty Free' shops rather than having to carry purchases over to Roscommon & back.

They may also be interested in souvenirs from Knock Shrine (on the Mayo-Roscommon border).
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:21 AM

Carrolls and sucj are fine for Tiny things most are pretty plastic paddy souvenirs. Ned is right the Airport is an excellent place to get stuff on your way home especially cosmetics.

For some more contemporary Irish design try the Kilkenny Shop for Clothes, Scarfs and pottery and Glass ware. It's located on Nassau street just down from Grafton. Lunch is nice in the upstairs cafeteria.

Also try Blarney woolen mills and along the street up to Kilkenny Shop are souvenir places that should fit the bill.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 02:28 AM

I second Siobhan's recommendation for the Kilkenny Shop. I could have stayed for hours and spent mucho $$$$$$. Lot's of great gift items.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Hi Celtic! I always buy wedding gifts from here to send back to the U.S. The have beautiful pottery, glassware, clothes, jewellery and woven scarves and blankets. You can also buy waterford here. Its a nice all rounder. My mother drags me there everytime she visits and we shop!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I am not new to Ireland since my mom lives there...this is my 9th trip! But, I have not spent time in Dublin for several years and things do change!! And, I kinda feel the pressure with bringing friends!
KIlkenny shops will prob. fit the bill...we've been to the Blarney Woolen Mills and have loved it.
I have heard someone mention Henry St. what is that like?
Shadow