Reload this Page >

Shopping for Provencale fabric.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2000, 02:10 PM
June

We'll be visiting Provence and Nice in August. I would like to pick up some fabric and/or tableclothes. Also I'd like to buy some bottles of truffle oil, herbs and anything else typical of the area. Does anyone know where would be the best place to buy such things. Presumably the markets would be good. Is there a one I should make an effort to visit? or, would I do better elsewhere? I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 02:27 AM
francesca

In addition to the local markets, where you can pick up these items for cheap, you can look at chain stores such as Soleido (= Pierre Deux in the US) and Les Olivades (upscale chain stores, that is) that feature kid's and adult's clothes, accesories, sheets and towels, etc. Nice should have several branches of both.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 05:44 AM
Debbie

June-I bought fabric when we were in Nice at several of the stores set in the Old Nice section of stores. It seems almost every store in Nice sells tablecloths,etc.( There are also several WONDERFUL stores with really different fabric/tablecloths in St. Paul de Vence.) The department store in Nice had some fabric by the bolt but most was already made up in purses,pot holders,etc. My biggest regret when we came back was not buying more fabric and also not knowing the metric differences. Nice had several great olive oil stores/olives,etc. that make great things to bring back. Be sure to buy everyone you know a large bag of Herbes du Provence for cooking-it makes everything from chicken to pork taste wonderful. Also, the set of sachets of lavender are delightful!!!! Treat yourself because you'll have a hard time finding it when you get backhome! Debbie

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:28 AM
Ruth

If you're touring Provence and not just staying in Nice, Olivades has a fabric outlet near St. Remy. It was closed the day we tried to visit, but I was told it was fabric, not items made from the fabric like tablecloths.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:48 AM
Joe

We drove through Provence to Nice in '96. Many of the shops that sell Provencale fabric and other products are quite expensive, but the Cours Saleya - - the big flower and herb market in Nice's old city - - is both one of the nicest outdoor markets we've come across and a great place for bargains. Many of the little stores on the streets leading to the market have bins of tableclothes, napkins, tiles, skirts, etc., while the market itself has tables heaped with herbs and spices. Even if you don't buy anything, it's worth visiting.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:52 AM
karen

I've been to the "Les Olivades" outlet outside St. Remy. It was mostly fabric, including some remnants that might have been suitable for finishing into napkins or bandanas. I was actually disappointed in the selection; the designs were not as attractive as in the retail stores. I've purchased scarves, skirt, and man's tie at the store in Aix-en-Provence. The tablecloths, placemats, fabric bolts, etc. found in the big street markets are not of the same quality. I bought a length of fabric and hemmed it for a very casual, fun tablecloth. If I wanted serious provencal decor for the dining room, I'd invest in the better stuff. <BR>The advice above concerning metric lengths is important! Bring your measurements already converted to metric system. Have a great trip.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:54 AM
karen

PS. Buy lots of lavender soap at the markets! It's easy to tuck several bars in your luggage.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 10:15 AM
cherie

Heads up! I don't know where you hail from in the US, but the San Francisco Branch of Pierre Deux sells fabric by Les Olivades and you have to get Souleiado fabric from the source in Connecticut 9203)227-0704. I recently redid my kitchen in their fabric. For fabric that is not as widely circulated, however, your above-sourced outdoor markets seem to be right on target. But why bring in souvenirs that are in stores in the US? Go for the patterns that you don't see here....and your friends will envy!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 02:35 PM
Steve

June - Last May, my wife & I found relatively inexpensive (but high quality) fabric, tableclothes, pottery and olive oil bottles in several places in Provence --- Vaison La Romaine, Vence (near St. Paul de Vence, but cheaper), and at the Saturday morning market in, I believe, Isle Sur La Sorgue (near Avignon). The tableclothes and olive oil bottles were much less expensive than those we've found sold via the Internet or in stores in the U.S. selling French goods.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 06:26 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>Just for fun I did a website search on Les Olivades. They have a website: <BR> <BR>www.les-olivades.com <BR> <BR>lotsa neat stuff there. check 'em out! <BR> <BR>they also have stores all over France, it seems. <BR> <BR>I also looked up Pierre Deux. Their website is www.pierredeux.com (go figure.) <BR> <BR>have fun! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:29 AM
julie cabral

Dear June; <BR> I just returned from Paris and Provence where I shopped for fabric at Les Olivades and Souleido. I got some great buys on fabric, napkins and table runners in a couple of places. In Arles there are some great fabric shops that surround the roman arena in the center of the old village. There is also an open air market on saturdays on the rue des Lices(sp?) that was spectacular. I got fabric there also for 55ff per meter.That's about $7.70 usd a meter. A meter is 39 inches long and the fabric I bought was between 54" -60" wide. I thought the 100% cotton was a better quality than the 50-50 blend. I also was further over into the Var region and went to the market on tuesday at Lourques, what a delight. Again, many fabics and crafts as well. Most towns do have the markets which always seem to have fabrics,etc. for sale. There are also many opportunities to purchase lavender products, olive oils etc. Just make sure you want to carry it all. I learned the hard way how heavy fabric and olive oil can be!!! Good Luck and enjoy your trip.Julie

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:12 PM
Kathy

The best olive oil in France comes from Maussane des Alpilles, very near Le Baux. Just ask for the olive oil coop if you come into Maussane. Their oil is even mentioned in Patricia Well's book. It is incredible.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 08:51 PM
Betsy

We have visited Provence the past two years - it's one of our favorite places. My favorite place to buy Provencale fabric and tablecloths is in Arles across from the Roman Amphitheater. The shop I like the best is "Vincenette" at 24 Rd Point des Arenes. They speak English and have a very good selection. I now have three tablecloths, and everyone comments on them when I use them. They make great gifts. They are now available with Scotchguard so they don't get soiled as easily. Have a fabulous trip!

Old May 28th, 2000, 05:45 PM
carol

Not to be overlooked are provencal fabric with plastic coating, a distant cousin of your grandmothers oilcloth, but the plastic is matte, flexable and not at all cheap looking. This can be bought by the meter (39") and used for tablecloths; just be sure you measure your tables before you go so you buy enough. Also make great aprons. I bought some of this fabric and found the cloth untreated as napkins; a great set. I found this for sale at many local market days, bolt after bolt.

Old May 28th, 2000, 06:33 PM
June

Thank you all so much for the great advice. Lots of good ideas and ideal since we are staying in both Arles and Nice. Thanks again, June

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 06:18 PM
Linda

I returned from Provence in May with fabric I purchased in Fontaine de Vacluse. When you see a fabric that you like, particularly if there is a companion print, you need to buy it if the price is around $7 US per meter. Many small shops in places such as Vence, Eze, Vaison de Romaine, carry nice bolts of fabric, and you won't see the same prints repeated. I was able to match my prints with solid cottons when I returned home to extend my sewing projects. I didn't feel that the selection of fabrics at the markets was as good as the shops, and the prices weren't that much less. There is a wonderful olive oil shop in Eze that lets you sample! My friend and I bought several tablecloths in Vence. One shop owner offered us a 20% discount on any thing we wanted to but, which was very unusual but smart on her part!