Search

Shoes-again

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:24 PM
shirl

Shoes-again

I have read several postings here regarding the best shoes to wear for walking. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know if Mephistos can be purchased for less in London than in the US? <BR>I have heard there are some outlet stores (but those might be in France) <BR> <BR>I had no intention of paying so much for a pair until I tried them on!! I have still not convinced myself to spend $265 for a pair of ankle boots. Any info will be apreciated.

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:10 PM
nancy

topping

Old May 6th, 2001, 01:11 PM
andy

My husband loaded up on them in France-they were 1/2 the US price.As far as London-depending on value of dollar to lb--price them here and then price them when you get to London.

Old May 6th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Rich

<BR> <BR>I stopped in at the store just off Picadilly Circus last fall and the prices were about the same as in the States. But they are good arn't they! <BR> <BR>Rich

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:27 PM
carol

Since the dollar is only worth @ 67 cents in London, I'm afraid there are no bargains to be had there! I bought a pair in France last year and really liked them until I tried on a pair of Rockport ProWalkers. Half the price and (for moi)even more comfort! They're clunkier looking than Mephistos, but they're not ankle boots. They're lace-ups like running shoes.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Ginger

I'm a firm believer in comfort. Easy Spirit is less expensive and they've got a lot of new fashions since Jones of New York bought them out. By the way, they have the MOST comfortable sneakers I've ever worn. Like walking on pillows.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:53 PM
elena

We found them at a good price in Germany - about 1/2 - at Christmas time. We are leaving for France tomorrow and I hope to get several pair. The best shoes I've ever had.

Old May 7th, 2001, 02:33 PM
janice

I've bought Mephistos in Paris and Rome - they're usually less than half the price in the US - especially when the exchange rate is good! In addition to being obscenely comfortable, they've very durable, which is a good thing when you pay that much for shoes.

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Anna

I am a pharmacist and stand for 8-9 hours per day with basically no breaks. Hands down, Mephistos are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. I have tried a lot of brands - Easy Spirit, Rockport, Seibel, & Naot to name a few. We were able to get my huband a pair of Mephistos in Brugge for ~$115, we saw the same pair at Nordstrom for over $300. Maybe you could take the Eurostar over to Paris for a day of shoe shopping! Buy a few pair and it'll pay for the ticket.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:22 AM
BTilke

Another European brand of comfortable shoes is Rieker. Less well known than Mephisto and a little harder to find, but I find them even more comfortable. Somewhat cheaper, too--in the $75-$125 price range in the U.S. <BR>The Norm Thompson stores (also catalog, based in Portland, OR, sell a good selection of Euro brand shoes that are comfortable and appropriate for hours of cobblestone street walking. <BR>BTilke

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Kimerley

you have shoes I have never heard of..In Australia we wear our R.M.Williams or thongs...will I look silly in Italy this summer..LOL!

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:41 AM
shirl

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge on shoes. For some of us it is a subject dear to our hearts! <BR> <BR>I will be in Europe for 4 weeks beginning October 9. This includes 8 days in London, 8 days in Venice, then to Munich and Prague. I must say I would never have been able to put this trip together without this forum. Every time I sign on (daily, at lease) I learn a tidbit that will be useful. I began planning with 18 months to go, now it is only 5 months, so I think it is time to really get serious. Already have all lodging reserved. Down to daily activities now. Still looking for the best deal on airfares. <BR> <BR>Shoes - Germany sounds like the best bet for Mephistos but since that is near the end of the trip, I think I had best break down and pay the price for them here. Maybe another pair in Munich? At half price, that would be hard to resist, right? <BR> <BR>Again, thanks to all who post with helpful information on all subjects. It certainly is addictive. Happy Travels Shirl

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Emily

Everything is more expensive in the UK.

Old May 11th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Meg

Can anyone suggest stores in Paris where I can Mephistos (best selection, prices)?

Old May 11th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Meg

Oooops!!! Where I can buy Mephistos in Paris?

Old May 12th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Pat

To the top! Help

Old May 13th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Anna

Shirl, <BR>Munich will be an excellent place to buy Mephistos. We stayed at the Pension Seibel near the Viktualienmarkt. They had a discount shoe store on the street level! I got Mephistos there on clearance for about $75 a pair. They had other stores around Munich as well.

Old May 13th, 2001, 09:57 AM
fleur

Someone on the Bonjour Paris site recommended Gerard M, 101 rue Convention in the 15 arrondissement as having good prices and selections of Mephistos. I'll be doing some shopping there myself.

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Christina

I had an apartment near Gerard's a couple summers ago so went by it a lot and I personally did not think it had a good selection at all of Mephistos, but maybe I don't know the comparisons. It's not a large store. I would think the best selection would be at the main Mephisto store at 107 av General Leclerc in the 14th arr, although I haven't been there. Aren't prices pretty much regulated in France anyway, especially for a major brand name like this? That's what I thought, but maybe I'm wrong. it just seems like you don't see a wide variation in pricing on stuff like that, which might argue for going to a main dept store who offers those tourist 10 pct off deals.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Anthony

The dollar is not worth 67 cents in London. You can't compare dollar to pound like that. And it's pence, not cents. <BR> <BR>That said, shoes and clothes are really expensive in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -