Shoes

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:56 PM
Pat

Shoes

They've been discussed here a fair bit, so what's your preference? Which shoes are the best for blister-free, pain free touring?

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:08 PM
xxx

Just bought a pair of Ecco boots for an upcoming trip to Europe. I've been told that they're the best and so far I've got to agree that they're very comfortable. I also love my Easy Spirits, though not in tennis shoe version.

Dec 15th, 2000, 04:35 AM
Daddy

See my post further down about Josef Seibel of Germany. MY wife and I both have these and they are top notch.

Dec 15th, 2000, 04:49 AM

here

Dec 15th, 2000, 05:31 AM
janice

Mephisto boots in the wintertime, and Clark sandals in the summer. I also love a pair of Aerosole suede flats that I bought years ago that go with both pants and skirts - they're about shot and I can't find another pair I like as much!

Dec 15th, 2000, 08:37 AM
mark

Even though I hate to sound like a conspicuous (sp?) consumer - I've been thinking about getting a pair of custom made shoes. I've read about some places in Europe but even here in NYC, I'm at a bit of a loss. Checking with some of the shoe repairers in my neighborhood, they knew of no one. I'll defintely checkout Josef Seibel.

Dec 15th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Royce

Mephisto for sure. Expensive but the comfort and durability makes them worth every penny.

Dec 15th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Kathryn

Just did 7 days of non-stop walking in Paris in the new style Rockports--they are a black walking shoe with extra cushioning. Best walking shoes I've ever had!

Dec 15th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Bob

Just finished third trip to Europe in my trusty Mephistos. Ugly, but hard to beat for comfort. Now afraid to go for looks and switch to something else.

Dec 16th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Elisha

---
Pat:

Here's a suggestion from another thread re: footwear.

----------------------
Author: Daddy ([email protected])
Date: 12/14/2000, 12:11 pm ET
Message: In November I posted about a new pair of shoes I bought prior to my 10 day trip to Belgium and France. These are Josef Seibel black nubuck leather walking shoes. After my trip I can report that these are GREAT shoes. Comfortable from start of day to end, over any kind of surface. Required no break in period. I wore these shoes every day. In fact I never wore the second pair of shoes I took along. These are stylish enough that they worked as well for evening times with dressier clothes for dinner and were just perfect during the day with either jeans or black pants.

I paid $70 for these shoes and they are worth every penny. One word of advice, I saw them in France cheaper than that, and I also noted that Mephistos are about 1/2 the USA price in France.
Remember Josef Seibel, cool shoes, good shoes, comfortable shoes, just hunkey dorey.

Dec 16th, 2000, 05:01 PM
steve

I have worn nothing but SAS shoes for several years now. They are great - I have put on a new pair and walked a 10 km volksmarch (fun walk) with nary a blister. A friend who used to do a week of 20 mile walks used them with great success.

They are especially great if you have wide or big feet as I do. If you are ever in San Antonio, you can visit the factory and get the defect shoes (invisible defects only) for about half price.

Dec 17th, 2000, 06:55 AM
ann

I bought mephistos for my trip to Paris. During the break-in period, I quickly knew that they were not going to be cushy and comfortable enough.

Ended up with Merrill Jungle Slides - black suede clogs with a black almost "running shoe" sole. Worked great with slacks and long skirts. Best shoes I've ever had.

I plan to buy the non-clog version for my trip to Italy this Spring. Need the closed back for hiking Cinque Terre. I found out that you can't go uphill in clogs!

They make them for men, too.

You get them at REI, Galyns and LL Bean.

Dec 17th, 2000, 07:29 AM
Tina

(yes, I'm going off topic). Ann, make sure the Cinque Terre trails are open before you head out the door on your trek. With all the rains in the Northern sections of Italy these past months, there may be sections that are closed. In fact, I'd read on Rick Steves graffitti board of a poster (in Italy during early Nov 00) that there were closures & in the grand bureaucractic Italian way, they were now bickering over who should pay for the repairs of the trails.

Dec 17th, 2000, 07:33 AM
Judy

Off topic also....did anyone hear that Christmas song, "Shoes"? Judy