Shoe Shopping in Venice Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is hoping to find a pair of wedding shoes during our trip to Venice. Anyone do any shoe shopping there? Been to either of these stores: Bruno Magli, San Marco 1302 (Calle dell'Ascensione; tel. 041-522-7210), and Mori e Bozzi, Cannaregio 2367 (Rio Terrà della Madonna; tel. 041-715-261)? Anyone know if they are open on Sundays??????
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Any Sunday morning shoe shoppers out there?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM

Rob-

Venice is filled with designer shoe shops-most of them located on Calle Larga XXII Marzo-Venice's luxury shopping avenue, and in some specialty shops in other parts of the city.

I just returned from Venice this past week, and I went window shopping at Bruno Magli, as they have a huge store in Venice, so that definitely would be a top choice-they have some gorgeous shoes on display for their spring/summer collection. (I used to have a pair of Bruno Magli's that I really liked). You know Bruno Magli does custom-made shoes as well? Check out their website at brunomagli.it.

I think you might want to look at the equally large, if not larger, Ferragamo shop located along this Calle (and on the adjoining Frezzerie) as well. There are some lovely ballerina type flats I saw in lace there. Then there is the Prada store-right on the other side of the calle which has shoes as well.

As to these shops being open on Sunday-you know, as many times as I've been down there on a Sunday, I want to say some of these designer shops are open, but I'm just not sure about that-there are a lot of shops open along this Calle on Sunday, and it seems to me that Ferragamo is open in the afternoon, but don't quote me on that.

Bottega Veneta-another luxury, high end leather goods shop, offers lovely shoes as well, but they are more handbags than shoes. They have more than one location in Venice-but the main one is again, right off the Calle Larga.

However, if you are looking for something really special in the area of shoes, why not get a custom made pair by an old Venitian shop? Custom made Italian shoes really are the gold standard. THE place to go in Venice is DANIELE GHEZZE SEGALIN-Daniele took over Rolando Segalin's shop, and there are all kinds of beautiful shoes to be seen and made here. It's located in San Marco, on Calle dei Fuseri, but it can be easily reached from Rialto, it's very near Campo San Luca in San Marco, and also the Palazzo Contarini dei Bovolo. They do a lot of shoes for Carnevale here, but they also do ordinary shoes as well.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Mori e Bozzi, although I should be, -I've had apartments in and around the area where you say it's located.

And another place you might want to check in the area is Mestre. Specifically, the Piazza Ferretto in Mestre, which is a pedestrian area filled with clothing and shoe shops. Now I know where the Venetians go to shop-here. And they have everything from Dior to Furla to Ferragamo and dozens of no-name shoe shops.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I checked out the BrunoMagli website. Found store locations, but not a whole lot more info. I emailed them to see if Venice store is open on Sunday. Custom made shoes sound like an interesting prospect, but wonder how long it would take and how easy it would be to communicate exactly what she wants in English. I don't mind stopping at one or 2 shops, but not overly excited about wasting a lot of good sightseeing time doing this
Thanks again ... By any chance you know anything about Hotel Bernardi? any resturant recommendations??
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM

As a matter of fact, I DO know something about the Hotel Bernardi-it was only about, oh 100 feet across from my apartment building last August!

But I'm going out to brunch now at an 18th Century Inn-I'll check back with you later, and go into more details-this is a good hotel choice.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again... Hope you enjoyed brunch...what city is the Inn in? I am also considering whether I should spend 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 days in Venice... sure you will have some great input here....thanks in advance
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM

My wife, the shoe maven, says that the same shoes are more expensive in Italy than in the U.S. Go figure. She has a bunch of Manolos and Brunos and... I just pay the bill for them. This advice is from a trip to Venice and other cities in Italy about 16 months ago.

She says stick with the hand bags and accessories for a better deal.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rast .... Are the shoes any different over there???? or can the same ones be found here? she says she can't find anything she likes here in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area ...
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Being so close to NYC, she should be able to find everything she wants here.

Unfortunately, my wife worked for Nordstrom for many years, which is how I became so poor. She 'saved' me money every week, it seemed.

She's a stickler for Italian leather, made in Italy, and won't touch anything made anywhere else. At last estimate, she's up to about 160+ pairs of designer shoes, some of them have actually been worn!

The only difference that she notes is the European sizing of shoes, which is easy to figure out.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

<<At last estimate, she's up to about 160+ pairs of designer shoes, some of them have actually been worn! >> I went out with an Imelda Marcos wanna be also... She had so many she had some under her bed. Think I will suggest an NYC trip...with her mother lol
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM

So, you've been to my house!!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM

There are two pupils and followers of Rolando Segalin: Daniela Ghezzo (not Daniele Ghezze - just if you happen to google for the name, Rob, which doesn't make too much sense anyway: no website, not much to be found) and Giovanna Zanella (ditto for the lack of online presence). Giovanna is more famous yet cheaper (Fodor's miniguide mentions just her, e.g.), though it is of course a matter of taste which one you prefer, I suggest checking both of them. These are certainly no places for classical wedding shoes, but perhaps Europe's best and most creative shoe designers. Of Giovanna's creations, I've at least found two pictures on the web: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8...600/Shoe_1.jpg and http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8...600/Shoe_2.jpg - way more classical designs are available, too!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

Ah yes, and on Sunday, I don't think any relevant shop will open the gates; for Giovanna Zanella, I can say it for sure.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

OMG - I seem to be having my bright day today... wouldn't it have been nice to mention Giovanna Zanella's address as well? Here goes: Castello 5641, Calle Carminati (S. Lio).
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM

There are dozens of good shoe places for wedding shoes in NYC. It will be cheaper than Venice and you can avoid using precious time on such a short visit. Stay as long as you can.

http://peterfoxshoes.com/

http://stuartweitzman.com/

http://weddingatelier.com/shoes/

http://www.myglassslipper.com/
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Franco:
We currently are arriving Saturday afternoon. I originally was leaving Tuesday morning, but am probably going to move it up to Monday to get another day in Switzerland. I don't know what "wedding shoes" consist of...my guess is her dress will be covering them anyway, right?
McLaurie:
thanks for the advice and the links. I plan on showing this entire thread to my daughter.. will have her do some investigation of what is here before going...
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:11 PM

Saturday till 7 p.m., every shop in Venice will be open.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM

Watever-it doesn't take long to shop for shoes along the Calle Marzo XXII, and, as suggested, she may want a pair of custom-made shoes, in which case Rolando Segalin's workshop is someplace you may definitely want to stop in to see, look around and chat with one of the designers-it is NOT true that there are nothing but fantasy creations, this long-established shop does whatever you want, in terms of custom-made shoes. Definitely worth a stop, that's for sure.

But I might want to stop in at Bruno Magli to see what they can do in the way of custom-made, if you don't see what you like, if money is no object.

You asked about the Hotel Bernardi-this is one of those "surprise" hotels-it doesn't look like anything when you get to it-on a narrow, dark calle-but the rooms and annex are lovely, light and spacious, and it is in an ideal spot on the Campo Santi Apostoli- 10 feet from the door you have the following: one of my favorite bacaros-"Ai Promossi Spesi",(a favorite of the NY Times Travel Section as well, I saw) a very local hang-out with delicious and inexpensive cicheti, also, a cute little dining room, which you can't see when you go in; right next door to the hotel is "La Casa Mia" pizza-all the Venetians in Cannaregio go here for their excellent pizza (not easy to find in Venice, btw)- and right across the narrow calle is an internet point, which stays open until 10pm. In one minute you're on the Strada Nova, 5 minutes you're at Rialto-it's really an ideal location, with nice staff and lovely rooms.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

GirlSpy- Thanks for all the great info. I had picked up on the hotel from a few postings here...I did ask for the annex. Glad I made the choice. Also nice to hear there is an internet cafe nearby and a couple of good resturant choices. cicheti sounds interesting. Now, back to the shoes..."But I might want to stop in at Bruno Magli to see what they can do in the way of custom-made, if you don't see what you like, if money is no object" ... would you want to take a guess at the price so I know if I should bring some extra heart medicine??? How long were you in Venice?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Wat-for some reason, I've just now seen your question-I have been in Venice for over a month within the last 7 months, and about the same amount of time year before last, so I think I can say I've spent quite a bit a time there as of late!

I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to custom-made Bruno Magli's! But who knows? I'm thinking $800-900!

You will love the area of the Bernardi, and my favorite Gelateria just around the corner Gelateria Ca d'Oro. Good luck on the shoe shopping, and if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help, if I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -