Shipping something to Ireland?

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Meg

Shipping something to Ireland?

Hello, does anyone have any ideas of the best way to ship a set of golf clubs to Ireland? We really don't want to bring them on the plane and schlep them around our other destinations, but would like to have them during our one week in Ireland. Does anyone have an economical solutions to this problem?

Old May 7th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Jan

Meg:

If you really don't want them with you, I'd consider renting clubs while you're there. You can rent a good set of Pings or whatever. Not sure if you can make arrangements beforehand, but you might do a search for the golf courses you'll be visiting.

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Meg

Jan,

That's what we originally thought about doing, but since we would be playing smaller courses (some 9-hole places) we were concerned about the quality of the clubs and/or they wouldn't have enough sets on hand for a large party. Did you rent a set for your entire stay, or at each course every time you played? I've tried emailing a few courses, but never received a response. I also tried looking for sporting goods stores that might rent clubs, but also no luck.

Has anyone been there recently who has rented clubs at smaller courses? Did they appear to have an ample supply of both mens & womens clubs?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Ann

If you do end up taking your clubs on the plane, make sure that the clubs appear to have been used. My husband took a new set of clubs with him to Ireland, and he barely got through customs. Clubs are much more expensive over there, and they thought he was trying to smuggle them in. They noted on his passport that he had a set of clubs when he came into the country, to make sure he left with them.

Instead of e-mailing the clubs, try calling. You could wait forever for e-mail responses.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Jan

Meg: Too late to call my uncle now, but I'd planned to call tomorrow a.m. anyway. He's an officer of a small club near Scarriff, Co. Clare, and will know this stuff. (I know locals rent out good quality clubs privately, as well, for all the German golfers who don't wish to bring their clubs and who come every year to Ireland.)

By the by, how large a party would need clubs and which courses are you playing? Maybe he'll know this kind of stuff, if you haven't already called Lahinch or somewhere yourself.

Will get back here w/info tomorrow.