Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SHE'S GOING TO KILL ME!!! Need Barcelona hotel recommendations quickly!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Greg

I thought I had it all finished...I have been planning my honeymoon to Spain for over a year and have been a faithful reader of the forum for a long time. Of course, I had to pull a bonehead move like forgetting to fax confirmations to some of the hotels on our trip and just found out that they are now booked. And we leave for Spain on September 24....aaarrrgghhh!!! After a few dozen phone calls running into dead ends, I've taken care of Madrid and Seville (originally Carlos V and Casa de la Juderia, now Hotel Europa and Hotel Plaza de Armas - hope they're not too disappointing, but at this point, I can't afford to be too picky). Now I need help with a Barcelona recommendation. So far, I've called Hotel Continental, Hotel Gran Via, Hotel Oriente, Hotel Gaudi, Hotel Rialto and one other whose name escapes me at the moment, all of which have no rooms. Can anyone help? I would prefer to keep the rate around $100-125 USD and stay near the Gothic Quarter area if possible. My bride-to-be doesn't know yet, and with everything else going on with the wedding, I would prefer to spare her the anxiety (and me the beating) . <BR> <BR>Thanks VERY MUCH in advance, <BR>Greg

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 11:12 AM
John H

Hi, Greg, <BR> <BR>Given your situation, I would suggest using some web sites that allow you to search for availability by date across a large number of hotels. Travelocity.com, Expedia.com and hoteldiscount.com are 3 sites that enable you to do this. This would be the most efficient way to search for availability for the desired dates of travel; trying to search hotel by hotel could be exhausting. Ideally, in doing a search on these sites, you would find something in your desired price range and location. If you don't find the perfect place, at least book something "acceptable" -- this would give you time to do more detailed property searches while having the comfort of knowing that you do at least have a place to stay to fall back on. <BR> <BR>As always, check the cancellation policies/fees. I think hoteldiscount.com may have a $50 change or cancellation fee (they buy blocks of rooms at hotels, so even if the hotel is shopwing up as full on other sites, hoteldiscount could still have rooms at a property -- and usually at a decent discount). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. Let us know what happens. <BR> <BR>FYI: my favorite hotel in Barcelona is Hotel Colon (a 4* hotel and a Fodor's favorite), at roughly $160US/double and located right across from the old cathedral. But, it usually gets booked up well in advance. <BR> <BR>Good luck! Let us know what happens. <BR> <BR>john

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Marcha

OOOoo, Greg, I'm just glad you've got some time. <BR> <BR>One thing to try is not-taking-no-for-an-answer. If your heart was set on the Gaudi, etc., FAX 'em back with a long sob story and a pleading request as a honeymooner to be put on a waiting list and notified in the event of a cancellation. It might also be worth re-FAXing (or calling direct) on a weekly basis just to check. <BR> <BR>(Offer to bring a shirt from a US soccer team!) <BR> <BR>In the meantime, I'd spend a day FAX'ing every place on whatever lists you can generate from this and from the guidebooks -- but try pleading your case as a honeymooner in each case. Try the Atlantis, the Espana, the Jardi, the Meson Catilla, the San Agustin. Also try using the Best Western website to do a search, because their hotels are often quite interesting in reasonable locations (not anything like BW motels in the US). <BR> <BR>It's not that I think they will all be terribly sympathetic to a forgetful honeymooner, it's just that some ONE person might -- or at least it would distinguish you in their memory. <BR> <BR>Otherwise: We stayed at the Derby, which is nowhere near the Gothic Quarter, but it was quite pleasant, in a residential area, and within decent walking distance to subway. I don't mention it as the ideal honeymoon place, just as a possible back-up (recommend you start with back-up type places until you get a Lucky Break). <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Greg

Doing an Expedia search, it appears there may be vacancies at the following hotels: <BR> <BR>AC Hotel Front Maritim <BR>Hotel Aragon <BR>Hotel Atenas <BR> <BR>Is anyone familiar with any of these? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Greg

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Surlok

Greg, <BR> <BR>There a recently refurbished hotel, a sister hotel to the Majestic, although cheaper, and its location, if not the best in town, that in my view is the Eixample quarter, is still quite acceptable, completely safe, and walking distance of Eixample and Gaudi buildings, Passeig de Gracia and Plaza Catalunya. <BR> <BR>Check it out, and its availability on line at: <BR> <BR>http://www.hotelinglaterrabarcelona.com/eng/home.htm <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Surlok

PS: otherwise, check Timeout recommended hotels at: <BR> <BR>http://www.timeout.com/barcelona/acc....html&x=8&y=12

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 03:07 PM
ger

Lord Greg you are in trouble! <BR> <BR>Check out the following web-site for listings of hotels by price category: <BR> <BR>http://www.softguides.com/barcelona/...mmodation.html <BR> <BR>I stayed in the NH Calderon in L'Eixample in June and can recommend it. Great area, hotel is very modern and stylish rather than charming, but a large hotel ... you are probably more likely to find a room in an hotel like this as it caters for business travels (and they frequently cancel reservations): <BR>http://looksmart.placestostay.com/sc...id=5605&n=1715 <BR> <BR> <BR>If you have not found an hotel by Monday, consider throwing yourself on the mercy of a travel agent, preferably one you know. They can often find a room, through their brokers, that are not available to the general public. <BR> <BR>Let us know how it goes! <BR> <BR>I wish you every luck with the wedding and the your travels. <BR> <BR>Regards ... Ger

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 07:39 AM
All of Us

Please let us know what happens!!!?

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 07:48 AM
David

Probably beyond your USD limits and not in the Gothic Quarter, but Hotel Arts is excellant. Its a Ritz-Carlton property and can be found on their website.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Greg

Here's a brief update... <BR> <BR>Michelle has really been pushing to stay in a castle-type parador while on our trip, so I successfully made a reservation at the Parador de Cardona for the first night. I realize it's a bit out of town, but it certainly looks spectacular. That just leaves Saturday and Sunday nights to find a place. No success on that front, yet... <BR> <BR>Thanks for your concern, all! <BR> <BR>Greg

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Greg

Wouldn't you know it... <BR> <BR>As soon as I finally find a hotel room at a great deal (ABBA Sants 4* @$104/night), we get news that the person who is watching our kids has to leave 5 days earlier than planned! <BR> <BR>Oh well, it was fun (in a sick sort of way) trying to find the rooms. I really appreciate all your concern. A special thanks goes to Cecilia for all her work via e-mail. I will make sure to give a full report of the honeymoon (well, not completely full ) and answer any questions when I get back. <BR> <BR>Now if I could just do something about the $150/ticket modification charge by Delta... <BR> <BR>Greg

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Clare

I've stayed in Le Meridien which was fine and also centrally located. Call the hotel direct to check on availability and cost. Hotel Arts is rumoured to be the best in Barcelona but the only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't centrally located.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Ann

Greg, <BR>Yes, the Hotel Colon is the best!!!We have stayed there for yrs. Also, last yr. while at the Colon, our daughters visited us, and they had no room for them. They ended up nearby, at the Best Western. I know that sounds awful, but it actually was very nice and even had a nice dining room for breakfast.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:36 AM
ilisa

Definitely try the Colon. It's wonderful!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:07 AM
For pete's sake

GREG! Find someone else to stay with the kids for those remaining 5 days!

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:59 AM
s.fowler

Topping this for the new Barcelona question. There are some website suggestions for locating a hotel in Barcelona in this thread.