Reload this Page >

Shall I still go to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:24 PM
familyof5

My spouse and I have been to Europe several times and always stay in 5 star hotel that cost around $350. In late January we would like to go with our kids (4 year old twin girls and a year old boy). Can all 5 of us afford to stay in a nice hotel in europe? We would like an apartment or connected rooms in a hotel. We also would like a location that is very close to shops and cafes since our kids do not like walking much. Hubby is thinking london would be good for the kids whereas I was thinking of florence. WHat do you think?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Sherry

Look into renting an apartment or condo. It will be more convenient with children, and you'll have the option of cooking your own meals.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:14 PM
familyof5

I think you misunderstood my post, Sherry. We are going for vacation. We do not plan to cook. That's why it's called vacation.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:12 PM
xxx

familyof5 is looking for 2 bedrooms or an apartment, so trollalert's calculations are slightly off for 1 week. 350 x 2 x 7 = $4900 for the rooms, plus the airfare, food, and miscellaneous items. But familyof5 said this is a VACATION. Do you think the twin 4-year old girls and year old boy will remember anything but the gelato?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Biddy

My two cents: just because you would be staying in an apartment doesn't mean you still can't eat out in a restaurant, duh.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:47 PM
How_should

Family of five.<BR>You ask only two questions in the body of your letter.<BR>1: Can all 5 of us afford to stay in a nice hotel in europe? <BR> Let's get real here, without a financial statement it would be hard for us experts to let you know if you can afford it or not! If I know how many days you are staying then I can figure out a cost for you.<BR><BR>2:WHat do you think?<BR>Make your own decisions! Do you ask strangers what you should eat for dinner, or on advice on how to raise your kids? <BR><BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Leslie

Strongly recommend against going to Europe with three kids these ages. They kids won't know where they are at this age.<BR><BR>Assuming this is a transatlantic flight, this will be a long and arduous trip. I'd wait till they are at least 9 or 10 and in the meantime, vacation at a beach or mountain resort closer to home. Seriously, you'll all enjoy it much more.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:31 AM
topper

topping for all five!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:00 PM
5-star life

Would you consider 3 and 4 star style hotels instead of your usual 5?<BR><BR>Since I've never spent more than about $150US on a double room (and that was Paris and Venice)... I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to find rooms for a family of 5 for that same $350 per night!!!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:07 PM
couldnt

Can anyone think of a worse vacation than to spend it in Europe with 3 kids under age 4?? <BR>Also you mention in your initial post you would like an apartment and then growl at Sherry for suggesting one?? Sounds like you're stressed out enough without a vacation(and I use the word loosely) like this.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:40 PM
ohplease

Familyof5 sounds like there are actually 4 children. I wonder if the Spouse is as petulant as the writer? Honey, just stay home...it doesn't sound like you will be happy anywhere.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Jason

Familyof% is not asking ANY of the above questions.ReRead pleeze.She is asking if &quot;all 5 of us&quot;.She seems to be suggesting that if only 2 cud stay in the 5-star then she wud have to find somewhere else for the other 3.And next she's gonna want to know how to decide which 2 stay in the 5-star and so on and on....Oh, wait.You havent told us where the Nanny and Chaufeur will bejoining you.Of course with 3 kids who dont like to walk.......STAY HOME!!!!