Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seville-Hotel Alfonso XIII or Casa Imperial?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Karen K

I am currently booked at both the Casa Imperial and the Alfonso XIII in Seville, Spain. The Casa Imperial is $150 (for one of their "better" rooms"), the Alfonso XIII is $220, on a special. Has anybody stayed at their hotel? If so, what was your experience like? What do you think of these prices? I know I can do better at other hotels, but I would like a really nice stay in Seville, in a very comfortable, quiet and atmospheric hotel. Thanks for your feedback

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Bob

We stayed at the Alphonso in 1997. A beautiful and unique hotel. The rooms are very nice. I think if you are looking for atmosphere and a different experience, you will enjoy this hotel. Old world charm. I cannot answer for your other choice.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Patrick

Last month we spent three wonderful days at Las Casas de la Juderia, with a perfect location and more atmosphere than you can imagine. We found and booked it after recommendation here, and couldn't have been happier. When we arrived they started leading us through all those wonderful tiled, fountained courtyards --what a place, but my heart almost stopped as they took us through an iron gate, across an alley, and into another building. I was ready to start complaining about being stuck in an annex despite booking almost 10 months ahead until they opened the door. We had a spectacular suite with separate living area, four poster bed, huge marble bath with jacuzzi tub and separate walk in shower. It overlooked a tiny bouganvilla courtyard with another fountain. This place was sensational! We have had lunch at Alfonso XIII and walked through again this summer. It is elegant, but very stuffy despite the fact that it always seems to be filled mainly with big tour groups. We eliminated Casa Imperial, because it seemed too far away from the "heart of the action". We will never go back to Seville without staying at Las Casas de la Juderia. By the way, we paid about 24,600 (US $130) for our suite including parking. Talk about a bargain!

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Alana

I just want to add my 2 pesetas to Patricks' comments on Las Casas de la Juderia. We, too, love this hotel although didn't luck out on the suite he and his family enjoyed. We had a large room with a sitting area and fold-out bed for our daughter, a four poster bed and marble bathroom just off and incredibly charming patio filled with plants and pottery. The hotel is in a perfect location, more so than the Alfonso XIII which, although beautiful, does seem stuffy and located near more auto traffic. We would go back to Seville just to stay in Las Casas de la Juderia. Luckily it's a wonderful city to spend some time. Have a wonderful holiday.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Patrick

Just another thought. You didn't say when you are going. As of three weeks ago the Alfonso was half enveloped in scaffolding for some major exterior work. We had to wait at the sidewalk for about 5 minutes for them to stop sandblasting so we could enter the lobby. If you are going soon you might want to check on the progress of renovations.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 12:50 PM
nicolaitan

alfonso is a luxury class hotel that almost but doesnt quite make it. easy to park on adjacent street next to university. great but expensive breakfast. Note - we did not have a decent meal in seville, other than bnreakfast.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Karen

Thanks for everyone's comments, especially the ones about the construction work at the Alfonso! I had heard one bad thing on the Rants and Raves section so I cancelled the Casa Imperial and keep hearing about the Judiera, so I think we will switch there and save the money. Also, I realized I goofed about the country, I think I logged this under Italy (my parents are planning a trip there). Thanks again to everyone.