Seville/Granada or Siena/Florence or Barcelona after Christmas for a week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it might be one of those strange questions but we are a family with kids (5 and 10 boys) and we are torn between those options. Our main concern is the weather. We like sightseeing and we will have a car for day trips. We love nature: lakes, mountains, fountains, cobbled stone villages...etc. we also like to sit outdoors even if under an umbrella on a rainy day and enjoy sweets and coffee.
If we go to Seville the connection back home has to be via Madrid. If we choose Siena It will be Bologna.
We have been to Val Orica in the past but that was in Spring and we loved the area. We used Pienza as a base. We have been to Ronda in southern spain and again in spring and loved it. We r not the type that go to museums as our kids are still young and they get bored and noisy!
My 10 years old prefers Barcelona but we have been to it before in Feb so not sure if this is a good idea although it is the easiest as we can fly back home directly from there! I know it is lovely and we can do montessart or Girona from there which we did not do in our previous trip. We r not sure but we parents love to see something new! Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mishotravelnew; Sep 15th, 2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Siena/Firenze but Bologna offers you more options than those two, Ferrara, Ravena etc.

Girona, I'd not bother, not really in the same league as any of the places you have mentioned. If you want to go north then Turin and Milan are the big draws, but smaller towns are nice (but there are at least 2 such ancient cities on the train between Firenze and Lucca.
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Even in December?
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, December is a silly time to go to any of these places. Most Europeans would go to the Canary Islands or Morroco for example rather anywhere this far north, I would go there if I had these kids.

Tuscany can be lovely, hints of snow or weeks of drizzle. But if I was going to these places I would have a plan B for every day and assume that plan A was for indoor. Firenze is going to be colder on average but I have no problem with the cold and in a period which is basically about eating/drinking and staying warm.

Southern Spain will be maybe 5 degrees (C) warmer but still damp. The cities of Seville/Cordoba/Malaga and Grenada makeup 4 cities with ancient centres but for kids?
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. I think we need to really think more about it.