Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seven years later a return to Paris--should I update my guidebooks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stack of guidebooks used for our first, albeit brief, trip to Paris in 2003. From Fodor's to DK Eyewitness to National Geographic... Hotel and restaurant information may have changed but certainly major sites are the same. Should I use at least one recent guidebook in conjunction with the old? If so, which would you choose?
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Major sites are not the same. Lots of new museums, for instance. Since 2003 there is the Orangerie, the Quai Branly Museum, Pinacotheque, Grand Palais, Palais de Tokyo, just off the top of my head.

And new guidebooks are much more likely to include information about websites for the attractions than older guides.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM

And plenty of things that were there in 2003 are gone now - like La Samaritaine. I'd get a new one.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Ditto above - Paris changes more than you might think. There are several other museums that have opened/changed in addition to the ones Kikki mentioned.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Or, check a couple of new ones out from the library for your trip. You'll have to bring them back rather than leave them in your hotel or B&B, but the price is right. If the books are extremely popular, though, you might have trouble getting them exactly when you want to go.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM

I think the books you mention are still useful, as long as you have at least one new book to doublecheck with. As previous posters have mentioned, some places are now closed,and new opened. The Picasso museum is now closed for renovations.
A good source would be "Paris Access" by Richard Wurman (I think it's revised every couple years), as it packs a lot of info in a very portable book, including many restaurants, hotels, and shops, in addition to museums, monuments, etc. I like this book because it's organized by area, so if you have it with you and find yourself at, for example, Notre Dame, and decide you want to shop or eat, you can look up that area and find what's near by that appeals to you. The write-ups are concise and give you a good idea of what to expect.

And, of course, the computer is a great source, particularly for up-to-date opening and closing times, etc. And there's always this forum.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:09 AM
yk

Hi AnnMarie, I agree with what Nikki said. If you don't want to get a thick & heavy guidebook, go with either the DK Top Ten or Fodors Top 25 guidebooks. Those are light and thin (and less info, obviously). Or, depending on what you want to do in Paris, there are other guidebooks that focus on walks in various neighborhoods.

I haven't checked lately, but I like the BLUE GUIDES series, which focus more on art/culture/architecture. They have several guides, some more detailed and some less so. But be sure to check that they are recently updated.

How about going to your nearby bookstore and look through various guidebooks and see which you like best? I actually don't buy guidebooks anymore except for Blue Guides - I just borrow the most updated versions from my library. Mine tend to carry Lonely Planet guides and I really like LP as they fit my travel style.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Maps also need updating. My Michelin Blue, trusted old friend, is missing some Metro stops

I'd also think that opening and closing times may also have changed.

Orangerie, at one time when I visited, was not open. So yes, new stuff coming along.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM

For one thing about double the cost of everything the books say
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, really lots of things have changed, including in the museums.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions, I sincerely appreciate it. Silly me, I had Paris frozen in time. Thanks for enlightening me. Until now, I had only purchased a new map but will research / plan using updated material. Thank you!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Oh me too, Annmarie. Paris: frozen in time, for ME! I need a new guidebook.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM

What maps do you like, AnnMarie? I loved using the Knopf Mapguide. It isn't as cumbersome as a big map or book, has fold out maps of the different areas of Paris complete with museums, restaurants, shops and points of interest.

http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-Mapguide...4884986&sr=1-1
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same dilemma with our trip to Rome, as I have several books that i bought [with DH asking me at the time why I wanted so many, LOL] back in 2006 when we went last time.
in the end i have kept them, but augmented them with a couple of really up to date ones - I looked on amazon to see which has the latest publishing date. Consequently, i have not got a Blue Guide as the current one was published in 2007, so it's not much better than what I've got.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
curses - thanks to you lot, i just bought the Knopf Mapguide to Rome, AND the Terroir Food and wine guide too.

I'll have to tell DH that they are old ones and hope he doesn't notice the dates!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM

I know Rick Steves gets much criticism on here, but his Paris Guidebook is great. I have LOADS of guidebooks which I thoroughly read before trips, and copy pages I think I'll need. But his book is the one I take with me (besides some other "walks in Paris" types I take). The RS book isn't heavy and is very much updated with all the information you'll need. I don't pay much attention to his hotels and restaurants, though, as I already know where I want to stay and eat.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Judyrem, glad to know I'm in good company!

BeachGirl, I am fond of the "MaEasy's Guidemaps". Though I think they may be described as cumbersome the enlarged detail has served me well in getting around and they are loaded with information. I have not heard of the Knopf Mapguide but will order one, too. I love a good map, thank you for the suggestion!

annhig, smoke and mirrors.

Sue4, I, too, like the RS guidebooks for the same reasons as you. Yesterday morning, before the snow storm, I picked up his 2010 Paris guide along with one of my other favorites, DK Eyewitness.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:00 AM

Just a note... if you have a Kindle several of the guidebooks have "electronic" versions. Last Oct I used Rick Steves (2009 as he hadn't "published 2010) in electronic and Frommers (and some 'No name' I found for free. Fodors was not avaialble then.... don't know if it is now or not. For me it worked great!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:10 AM

I like the RS guidebooks, too, because they are updated every year. When we were in France in 2008, out of curiosity, we asked two of the B&B's that we stayed in (which were in his book) the last time that they had met Steves or his representative. They both said Steve Smith, who writes his France books, stops by unnannounced annually.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

The Knopf Mapguide arrived yesterday. I love its easy to read, detailed format. Thanks, again, for the recommendation BeachGirl--I am anxious to try it out!