Sesimbra or Not?

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sesimbra or Not?

Hi,

Just retired and planning a trip. I have been to Portugal before and spent many weeks in Lisbon, Porto, Algarve, Evora, Duoro and the Azores. This trip I will visit Madeira and some smaller cities on the mainland. I will have a car and I like scenic, quiet, smaller towns as well as hiking.

I have 8 days to base either in Sesimbra (3-4 days) and Obidos (4-5 days) as I have hotel points I'm using. I plan to see Peniche, Obidos, Nazare, possibly Aveiro and Batalha. I could start my trip (arriving in Lisbon from SFO) in Seismbra for a few days to enjoy Arrabida Natural Park and the surrounding area and then head to Obidos after that.

I'm trying to decide if I should skip Sesimbra and just stay north of Lisbon and possibly add Ericeira. I would love your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!a.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by lisakinnear View Post
in Seismbra for a few days to enjoy Arrabida Natural Park and the surrounding area and then head to Obidos after that..
Sesimbra is lovely, a nice fishermen town. Lot's of restaurants with the best fresh fich. Nearby you have Portinho da Arrábida, Setúbal (not so nice town, but anyway, good enough to visit) and Palmela with it's nice castle. You can make a tour by car going all the way to Álcacer do Sal, Tróia, and take the ferry back (with the dolphins playing all the time).

But, concerning Arrábida itself, be carefull. Follow the oficial paths, and know that iit s a dangerous region.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 08:14 AM

Loved Sesimbra, spent four nights there a few years back. As Helena mentioned, nice beach area, nice old town with nice cafes, restaurants and shops. 10 minutes drive to a beautiful castle (Castelo de Sesimbra) and the wine town of Azeitao is a short drive away. Lots of quiet beautiful beaches can be found a short drive away in the Arribida Natural Park. As for 4 nights in Obidos? Obidos can be fully seen in a few hours. A better base for that area in my opinion would be Ericeira, a beautiful fishing village that also has numerous restaurants, cafes, very picturesque cobbled lanes and alley ways. Several beaches stretch North from the village.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mike, Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, as I said, I'm using hotel points, and my only option in that region is Obidos, but I have a car. Ericeira is on my list. Thanks again!