Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seriously, wouldn't it be gauche to ask for a doggy bag at a restaurant in Europe?

Search

Seriously, wouldn't it be gauche to ask for a doggy bag at a restaurant in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:10 PM
Cheryl

I really think not but my travel companion disagrees. I cant see myself saying at Parisian bistro"Monsieur, un sachet pour le chien SVP" Is this strictly an American custom or do they do this in Europe too ?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:13 PM
Nancy

I got dirty looks in Italy. I am unsure whether they would actually soil the food. why chance it?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:18 PM
Maria

Hey its your money, sister. You paid for it! Be assertive. Don't let anyone intimidate you.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:20 PM
Jess

Marie sounds like an "ugly- american"

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:24 PM
John

Hi Cheryl,<BR><BR>On rare occasions my wife has asked for a doggy bag - typically in the UK countries. Although most are taken aback at the request, all have provided the doggy bag, typically with a disclaimer that the chef cannot guarantee the quality of the food once it leaves the restaurant.<BR><BR>Is it gauche? Probably. But then again my wife has always had a good reason for the request - sometimes not evident to me at the time.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:24 PM
Norbert

Yes, absolutely gauche don't do it! No offense Maria, but you have a lousy attitude. It is not the custo in Europe to ask to bring your food ho,e People do not do it. You will be laughed at.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:25 PM
carol

Suggestion: Carry your own plastic container and/or zip-lock bags and inconspicuously bag up the leftovers yourself without asking. (I've never done this--just an idea though.) That way you'll get what you want, but if you're discreet enough, no one will notice and you won't put anyone out.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:27 PM
Therese

An American thing. Portions are generally smaller in France (though not, I find, in Germany, so I end up leaving food on my plate), so you don't need to worry about carting it home. Prices are lower, too, so you don't feel like you've been ripped off if you don't leave with a big styrofoam box of leftovers. <BR><BR>If it really is for your dog, then they'd oblige. But it will have been thrown into a sack, not nicely laid out in the above-mentioned container.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:27 PM
Beatrice

Cheryl--"when in Rome", ...you know the rest. It is bad form to ask for "take- away" in Paris and Italy. Even the travel guides will tell you so. Moreover it is plebian! Eating leftovers. And calling it a "doggy bag" you will be laughed out of any fine establishment! Maria, when in Europe you are not in Peoria or San Juan. Class is important there. If you do not want to follow the rules, then do not go!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:30 PM
Jake

I agree with Maria. Who cares what some low life Eurotrash waiter thinks. If you like it, wrap it up !!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:31 PM
Maria

Ugly American!! What are you a wuss? Again, you paid for it. I have been to Paris twice and I do not take any guff from those snotty waiters. Once they start with all that "Fou Fou oui oui" crap, I give it right back. Ugly American? No. A fool? I dont think so! And when they pretend they do not Parlez the English, well then....<BR>Anyway, I usually don't have trouble but I put up my dukes when anyone gives me a hard time.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:39 PM
John G

Maria, Im surprised you can find your dukes under that big belly and large mustache of yours. Im sure the tenement hotel you stay at in Paris has a candy-bar machine in the lobby for you to get a snack. You don't have to carry your take-away crumbs back to your hole with you. ~8&gt;

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:40 PM
Rex

In a lot of places in Europe - - to be really European - - you will have your dog with you at the restaurant. Just point towards him, and they will scrape it right into his mouth.<BR><BR><BR><BR>Best dishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:43 PM
xxx

JohnG, are you on the Stoli, again? Perhaps it's time for you to cut back and lay down for a nap. My dear, if you were getting any right now you'd be too busy bothering innocent people on this board.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:43 PM
Beatrice

Rex, that is disgusing. It is not European. It is barbaraic. You must eat at very low-end establishments.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:44 PM
StCirq

I have actually had waiters in France and Italy ask me if I wanted to take leftovers home - not in fancy restaurants and usually if it's something a child hasn't been able to finish. So much for strict European customs. I don't think I would ever ask, though.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:48 PM
appauled

Jeez, go to a fast food restaurant, only the cheapo Americans do that.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:50 PM
Barbara

Oh John, What in tarnation are we going to do with you? Maria sounds like a person that if you treat her respectfully, she in turn will be respectful to you . I have a feeling that you will get an earful from her. To be honest, I think you were somewhat harsh with the lady. Didn't your mama teach you better?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Rex

Oh, I'm sorry, Beatrice. If your dog uses a fork and knife, they will scrape it on to your dog's plate. but be sure to tip an extra euro for the plate.<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:56 PM
suzanne

Where will you store / how will you reheat the food if you're staying in a hotel, anyway?<BR><BR>It's funny, when I travel around the US, waiters are SHOCKED when I say I don't want to take my leftovers with me. Then I explain to them that I'm staying in the hotel and can't store it, and they're STILL shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -